Applecare replaced a Glossy screen with matte!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eVolcre, Jun 15, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

This is absolutely ridiculous. My machine is a 2.16 CD MBP 17". I sent it in 2 weeks ago for some minor issues. It took them 10 days to complete all the repairs and when it came back I was a) shocked at all the things they did and b) leery because I'm worried all the parts won't play well with each other.

When I came home I realized they changed my glossy LCD to a matte!! Is this even possible or am I imagining it?

Here's a list of all the repairs they did ...

1. Logic Board
    2. Keyboard
    3. Two fans
    4. Airport card
    5. Top case
    6. Bottom case
    7. Display bezel

and

8. LCD

What exactly do I do now? I'm leaving the States early next week and don't have the time to send it in for repairs again. I've been out of a computer for a while now. Should I call Applecare, go see the Apple Store manager, or use the sjobs email route?

I didn't have a good experience when I dropped the machine off at the Apple store. The 'genius' insisted there was no back light bleeding on the LCD. There was a burn mark on the power button and he said it's the chrome paint. Moron. All the things they replaced means there was definitely something wrong.

If they offer to have it fixed and I don't have the time, is it fair that I ask them for some sort of compensation? Maybe a discount off my next purchase? I suppose I *could* live with a matte screen but I also don't want them to get away with this kind of a mistake!:mad:

eV

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

That really sucks. Give AppleCare a call and tell them about it. A message to sjobs@apple.com wouldn't hurt either.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Lol, Matt screen is MORE expensive and more desirable for many people.

No they do not compensate you for how long it take to repair it.

Is it fixed?

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...maybe the Matte screen was all they had left in your model of screen?

Kind of Ironic that your complaining about "getting" a matte screen and there are countless threads about why they don't have a matte screen option on "all" the new MBP's (not just the 17"'s)...

5. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

It is ironic isn't it? But I LIKE the glossy screen. My machine's a 2006 first gen. I'm pretty sure it had a matte option then and I still went for the glossy.

Everything seems to be working great. The screen is definitely better (in terms of dust, black splotches etc) but it's MATTE which is NOT what I had before.

I didn't mean compensate me for the time it took to repair. I may have no choice but to accept the matte. I leave the country this week. I would definitely expect some sort of compensation if I accept the matte.

It's actually funny now that I reread my post. Everyone complains about no matte options. I'm pissed that they gave me a matte for free :) :)

eV

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

So you're complaining that they repaired too much? You never stated if your notebook is in good working order or not after the repairs. If it is, I don't see what the problem is.

You've got a 2.16 Core Duo Macbook Pro that has to be nearing the end of its AppleCare coverage, and they essentially rebuilt the whole thing. Aside from getting a matte display instead of a glossy (which many here would tell you is better anyway) are there any remaining issues?

Edit: Some activity while I was typing...

IMO I wouldn't send it back for the screen swap, but if it's important to you call and log the complaint (so it's in your file), then send it in when it's convenient for you.

7. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm not complaining that they repaired too much. I also appreciate the fact that I practically have a new machine. It's working fine for now ... but .. I am a little worried that it won't stay stable. Assembly line manufacturing is different from individual part replacement, isn't it? I read somewhere on this forum that rebuilding a machine piece by piece leads to a less stable system overall. If I'm wrong ... then there is no problem.

Why should I care what others say is better? I've had a glossy screen for 3 years, it's my choice, and that's what I want. Anyone who thinks matte is better is welcome to buy a matte screen ...

eV

8. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

He doesn't have the unibody model, he has the previous generation. Matte screen didn't cost extra on that one, and the design was the same on both (silver bezel). Also, the glossy wasn't as glossy as the bathroom mirror they put on the unibody.

9. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I've got the first generation. Silver bezel like Anuba said. And yes, the glossy screen was nothing like the new ones. It's very usable and nice for movies.

I'm on the phone with Applecare right now just to log the issue while I decide what to do. They say the only way to fix it is to drop it off and ship it back to Apple which will take 5 to 10 days. I leave the country next week.

I'm not talking to Customer Relations yet. I'm pretty sure I can kick up a fuss either with them or the sjobs route and get a replacement. Some further background - I filed the complaint with Apple on April 6th when I was stationed in Kuwait. They asked me to go into the local store for service. Service in Kuwait was a joke. They could call them 'morons' instead of 'genius' and be accurate. They wanted 3 months to fix the issues. Apple also said I couldn't mail it directly to them from Kuwait even if I paid the shipping costs.

The problem is that I am not 100% sure I want a brand new 17". I'm attached to my machine (sentimental I know but I completed some major projects on this laptop). I like the design and want to keep it with me even if its relegated to secondary duties.

Am I being silly? Should I push for a replacement and let this one go?

Before this thread derails completely, I'm not one of those people who expects a brand new computer for an old one and starts emailing Steve Jobs or making a racket. Just give me what I originally had fixed through Applecare

eV

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I'm headed back to the desert next week for another year. Can't send it in from there so I need to resolve the problem before I leave. :(

The screen replacement is going to take more than a week. My options are to either live with the matte and keep my old machine or get it exchanged which I'm pretty sure they will do.

I must be the only fool on this forum that wants to give back a matte for a glossy and is thinking so hard about getting a brand new MBP in exchange for a first gen model :) :)

eV

11. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I prefer the glossy screen too. If I was in your place, I'd be fuming but then I'd calm down and ask for a replacement for all that trouble.

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I thought when you send in the computer you get back a completely different one thats a working refurb to speed up the process.

13. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Say it again? They will do everything possible to FIX your CURRENT computer under Applecare. Illogical I think. Look at the number of things they replaced on mine. I think the total cost of repairs must have been close to a replacement but I'm not complaining.

If they agree to a replacement, they cannot give you a refurbished. It has to be brand new. I've heard of two different things -

1) They give you a new machine that matches the specs of the old one - ie: Top of the line 2006 MBP replaced with a bottom of the line 2009 MBP

2) Top of the line old machine replaced by top of the line new machine.

Kurzz - I'm just irritated by this nonsense. Yet another thing to think about before I leave. Seems like since the day I landed I've been ***** with Applecare and posting non stop in this forum :(

I was also offered - by my mum - a brand new 15" MBP in exchange for my old one and i refused. LOL. I really like my current computer.

eV

14. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, it stinks that those cheapskates can't offer better service for the price of AppleCare. They charge the same for their basic 3Y warranty as major PC manufacturers charge for 3Y warranty plus next business day on-site repairs.

If and when my PC laptop breaks down I just place a call to the manufacturer's business support line. If it's a non-fatal hardware problem they'll usually ask me to boot from the diagnostics partition, and based on my findings there they'll determine which parts to replace. The next morning they show up, switch out the parts, run diagnostics and I'm up and running again. If you called Apple and asked if they could come to your house tomorrow morning and repair your laptop they'll laugh for about 15 minutes, and then they'll play back the recording of the conversation at all their staff parties for the next 10 years.

15. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Hehehe. Good one! People act like Apple is doing you a big favor by fixing or rebuilding a 3 year old computer, or, if it comes down to it, giving you a replacement. Know what? I paid 3 grand for my machine and another 300 for Applecare. 10% of the cost. They better do whatever it takes to keep me happy whether its 3 months old or 3 years. That's the whole point of an extended warranty!

eV

16. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

No harm in trying out the matte screen for a while, especially since the problem is logged. When you get back to the states, make your final decision.

17. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

When I get back a year from now? That's a long time

eV

18. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Seems like your options are 1. Get a new replacement. 2. Get the screen replaced when you return. 3. Get screen replaced now and have your Mum send it to you? Hope you get just what you want. I appreciate your passion for your current machine.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I agree with this.

If you have a good screen with all pixels working and everything else is working fine, then maybe not chance changing out the screen.

I do understand you frustration. However, I must admit when I first read the title, I thought what a lucky fellow as I am one who much prefers a matte screen over a glossy one. :)

I would think the opposite. They kept working on your machine until it was working fine. Apparently, that necessitated many parts to be replaced.

BTW, same thing happened to me with a PB15. All repaired under AppleCare. Now 5.5 years later, it still works great. So I would not worry about your repairs.

Screen type is definitely a personal choice.

Good to log the issue.

Can someone in your family ship it to you after the screen is changed?

Not at all.

I can empathize with you in that I have an earlier model MBP15 and like it much more than the newer ones for the following reasons:
    • Keyboard.
    • Matte screen (not an issue in your case>)
    • The ports. Dual FW (400 + 800) & DVI connector.

Likewise! :)

I still have and regularly use Macs that are over 5 years old and sometimes use ones that are over 10 years old. :)

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You know there are so many people on this forum who want that to happen to them (including me); sorry to hear they made the switch against your wishes; you could call customer relations and ask for a new computer. That is a big screw up in addition to the half dozen major parts having been replaced.

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, AppleCare is supposedly global, so unless you'll be living in a tent in Somalia, you could always let international AppleCare pick up where U.S. AppleCare left off.

22. casper1271 macrumors newbie

when i was living in a tent and my HP laptop crapped out a few years ago i sent it to hp for repairs under the warranty and had them send it to my parents after it was fixed and then they forwarded it to me, a bit risky since sometimes packages get beat up but they sealed it in a plastic bag them wrapped it in towels and bubble wrap.

I'm now looking switching to a 13 MBP and i was wondering what everyone thinks about applecare, is it worth it despite the headaches?

23. crzdmniac macrumors regular

With my previous MBP I had two glossy screens replaced (dust behind the display, spots, etc). Finally after some pleading they replaced it with a matte, but to each their own, if you want glossy, you should have glossy. But OTOH I would think that they just upped your resale value.

24. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Like any insurance it feels like a huge waste of money when nothing goes wrong, and a great investment when it does... ;)

25. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

They did you a favor. But if you're really not happy about it, call them ASAP.