AppleCare + rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VSLRA, Jun 25, 2012.

?

Did you buy AppleCare for you brand new Retina Macbook Pro?

1. Yes

43.2%
  2. No

16.5%
  3. I will

40.3%
  1. VSLRA macrumors member

VSLRA

Did you buy AppleCare for your Retina Macbook Pro?

Or do you think 1 year warranty is enought and it will workshop perfect?

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Use it for 11 months and then decide if you should get applecare.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many, many threads on this exact topic, which you can find by searching the forum, such as these:

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If you take great care, you may be okay. But I went with Apple Care with a student discount $239 because it's a first gen product more or less. Therefore, it may have its flaws.

5. VSLRA thread starter macrumors member

VSLRA

I know, but this is just exploration. This is brand new thing/model of Macbook. So I´d like to know people opinion on potencional problems.

----------

Yes, its first gen. thats why I ask.

I'm thinking about buying AppleCare on ebay. Unfortunately, it may not be possible to buy AppleCare on AppleStore In Czech Republic. But still I wonder if it's not a waste of money

6. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Use it for 11 months.
    No need to pay for it upfront if you have the entire year to decide.

What I did in the past - and still do - is use the machine for as long as I can, and then gauge if I should get applecare.

If the machine runs like a champ for almost an entire year without any issues then its safe to assume nothing catastrophic will happen for another two years. (unless you obviously break something)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's exactly what those threads discuss. They're specifically about the new MBP with Retina Display.

8. VSLRA thread starter macrumors member

VSLRA

My last Macbook Pro early 2011. Had 3 same defects in short time (actually 11 months after buy). I got money back from Apple Authorised Reseller. So thats why Im buying rMBP. And now i worry about functionality of new one.

I will do it as you wrote. Will see after 11 months

9. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I wouldn't take my chances, especially for a laptop where almost nothing is replaceable/repairable by the user.

-Battery is glued
    -Ram is soldered
    -SSD has a proprietary connector
    -Display is expensive

I got student discount -$199 and AppleCare for students is only $239 for this product. So I see it as only paying $39 to insure it for an additional 2 years.

Aside from a logic board/ram and ssd issue. If anything else goes wrong, you'll likely get a full replacement from Apple, which is awesome!!! :D

10. VSLRA thread starter macrumors member

VSLRA

So, then Im sorry! I didnt notice that :(

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Take as much time as you need to decide in that 12 month span.....the answer clearly should still be a yes.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Guess I may as well bump this thread instead of starting a new one...

Is anyone else thinking that AppleCare isn't really necessary for this? The way I figure - there are no moving parts on this laptop. I would think that pretty much the only problems that can show up (defective memory, bad solder joints, dead pixels, etc..) would show up pretty early in the laptop's lifetime. In fact, the only time I've ever killed anything like a CPU or RAM was when I was into overclocking and got a bit too trigger happy with the voltage. I've had plenty of HDDs and ODDs go... but this laptop doesn't have those. And everything else in my experience is either DOA or funcitonal for years.

Since it doesn't cover the battery or accidental damage, I'm not seeing the need to buy AppleCare. At worst I might have a fan fail on me, but I think I can replace that on my own with no trouble.

13. ihakim macrumors member

No. You are paying $239 to insure it for an additional 2 years. It's not like you wouldn't get the student discount if you did not get AppleCare.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yea, I know its an additional 2 years and I know I would still get the student discount. It's just the way I'm rationalizing the purchase cost of the AppleCare.

15. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

I bought applecare for the first time on a mbp.

I usually place my mbps on Craigslist when the new model comes out but I'm going to hold onto this one for a full 3 years.

16. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

It's a blasphemy to not get AppleCare for a glued system like this. You won't know what will happen in month 13, let alone 1 year warranty.
    And if the slightest thing is broken, you'll likely need to replace like 80% of all the parts.

That's what it costs to make a laptop so thin and sexy.

17. katmeef macrumors 6502

No, credit card company gives me ome year free extended warranty including accidental damage/loss/theft protection. Don't think AppleCare is worth it just for the third year in my case

18. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Normally, I would wait until the first year is just about over, then find the best deal available on eBay from a reliable seller. I bought AppleCare for my 2007 15" MBP for $190. I think Apple's price was $350 then, as it is now. These days, the prices on eBay are higher - close to $250.

However, I found a screaming deal when I bought my rMBP at BHPhoto. Their normal price for AppleCare on that model is $244, but they included it for $122 with the purchase. They also included a free copy of Parallels 7. That was enough for me to cancel my $2100 order at Amazon which was not scheduled to ship for another couple of weeks.

I had numerous issues with my previous MBP, so I got good value out of AppleCare. I could almost believe that I won't need it with the rMBP, but the lack of serviceability makes it an easy sell at $122. Besides - the worst problem with my previous machine was bad silicon, not bad mechanisms. (Although, it had some of that too.)

19. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

that is a nice deal.

20. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Generally problems with solid state devices don't just gradually appear. So if the machine works fine for the first month or so, the likelihood of a manufacturing defect manifesting itself 3 years later is unlikely.

I guess the keyboard failing might be something to consider... but I will probably just try to go with an out of warranty repair on that. At worst, it would probably cost as much as replacing the battery. Which is still cheaper than AppleCare

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think the point of buying extended warranty product is peace of mind. You bet over something unknown. Within that 3 years damage could happens .. or not.
    Buy an AppleCare doesn't mean you expect trouble with your machine to make it worthwhile. But at least you come prepared.

You could say if the battery or keyboard is damaged, the cost of replacing it out of warranty might still be cheaper than buying APP. But how if one month later you lose the screen, or RAM, or SSD? And you know rMBP is not so flexible about repairability. Failing RAM sticks means you need a new logic board along with all the guts.

I have an iMac and the APP has paid for itself, saved my wallet big times. I didn't expect any problems occurred though. But it did .. and thankfully enough I bought that little white box with red :apple: logo.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You can still grab a third party price on it rather than pay Apple's $350 which is rather high. Several third party retailers offer lower pricing, and obviously you don't have to buy applecare and the machine simultaneously. Ram is one of the least likely problems. Assuming they don't use sub-par ram, it should be a very rare issue. Some of the ram merchants offer lifetime warranties. If it was a likely point of failure, you'd never see this.

23. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well to each their own I guess. I can understand the price concern. I got my iMac APP for $130. Considering the machine cost me $2600, I thought it was fool of me to not get one.

And yeah .. don't get AppleCare too soon. Wait until month 10 or 11 before you get one. Save you upfront expense and you can see if your machine show problematic symptopms.

24. M87 macrumors 65816

I never get Apple Care, never had an issue yet that would've been made better by having it either. Livin' on the edge...

25. noteple macrumors 65816

Applecare is an warranty extension.

Who knows what issues will be unearthed on a machine with such a radically new design.

Didn't dirty Harry say, Do ya feel lucky punk.

My credit cards buyer protection plan only extends the ORIGINAL manufactures warranty up to one extra year.

We all know Apples warranty does NOT cover theft, or accidental damage, and my card won't in year two either.

Buyer protection doesn't always cover, phone support, taxes, shipping costs, and the hassle of not having a working machine. YMMV