Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
I can't believe Apple did that. After buying Applecare from Ebay with the seller wwwdotjustmacbooksdotnet everything went smooth but after 6 weeks Apple decided to revoke my AppleCare because the Proof of Purchase as provided by the seller was not valid. Is that possible?:mad:

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I can't believe Apple did that. After buying Applecare from Ebay with the seller wwwdotjustmacbooksdotnet everything went smooth but after 6 weeks Apple decided to revoke my AppleCare because the Proof of Purchase as provided by the seller was not valid. Is that possible?:mad:

Take it up with Ebay / Paypal

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Very possible. And just past the 45 days you have to put in a claim with Paypal. You can try taking it up with Ebay and maybe have some luck, but I am also doubting that. I must say I am surprised though as the seller has 100% feedback, so why Apple would deny it is also a question I would be asking.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Very possible. And just past the 45 days you have to put in a claim with Paypal. You can try taking it up with Ebay and maybe have some luck, but I am also doubting that. I must say I am surprised though as the seller has 100% feedback, so why Apple would deny it is also a question I would be asking.
Can a user change feedback on eBay six weeks after it was originally given?

I have a feeling that a lot of these vendors get positive feedback because the codes they're selling initially work. It's not until many weeks later that Apple may invalidate the code.

----------

At one time, the big deal was that someone "cracked" the code that's used to generate AppleCare registration codes, generated a ton of these codes on their own (i.e. they didn't purchase legit codes from Apple for resale -- they simply made up random codes on their own), and then sold them.

So yes, if Apple has any reason to believe the registration code you used wasn't valid, and you can't provide a valid Proof of Purchase from an authorized reseller, then they can invalidate the AppleCare.

There are so many grammar and spelling errors on the webpage you mention above. "WARRENTIES" ... really?! :eek:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
At one time, the big deal was that someone "cracked" the code that's used to generate AppleCare registration codes, generated a ton of these codes on their own (i.e. they didn't purchase legit codes from Apple for resale -- they simply made up random codes on their own), and then sold them.

So yes, if Apple has any reason to believe the registration code you used wasn't valid, and you can't provide a valid Proof of Purchase from an authorized reseller, then they can invalidate the AppleCare.

There are so many grammar and spelling errors on the webpage you mention above. "WARRENTIES" ... really?! :eek:

In the end, you can't expect Apple to provide AppleCare service without getting paid for it. I wonder how many people bought fake "AppleCare" cheaply, were lucky enough to never use it, and didn't actually have any cover.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Can a user change feedback on eBay six weeks after it was originally given?

I have a feeling that a lot of these vendors get positive feedback because the codes they're selling initially work. It's not until many weeks later that Apple may invalidate the code.

----------

Buyer can only add additional feedback but it will still stay positive unfortunately. Most people will not adventure past first page of seller feedback if it is 100% positive. So would never see anything additional posted. Which sucks!

Then if what you say is true, and I am not saying it is not, this seller has a good thing going. It is past the 45 days where the buyer can put in a claim against them and I guess calling Apple will most likely be a dead end, ads up to a win win for seller.

Got to feel for OP. They thought they were doing the right thing and had no idea. But hopefully others on the boards will read their misfortune and not get burned the same way.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ I can't believe Apple did that. After buying Applecare from Ebay with the seller wwwdotjustmacbooksdotnet everything went smooth but after 6 weeks Apple decided to revoke my AppleCare because the Proof of Purchase as provided by the seller was not valid. Is that possible? ]]

Of course it's possible

You should read this thread, in its entirety:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/

Live, and learn!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
It's been my experience that B&H Photovideo (an extremely reliable operation) sells (valid) Applecare for very good prices.

And you get the box.

charlese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Now he is even offering Applecare for already expired Products? :confused:
Apple will revoke that claim faster than white on rice.

Here is an extract of his claims from ebay:
"Heads Up!! Trust me, I run a mac business and I had worked for Apple and I may know a bit more than the average seller. I hate it when seller are selling things but they don't have a clue of what they are doing. Here is what's terribly can go wrong with buying a brand new unopen applecare box on ebay from an unauthorized apple reseller. You pay and receive the applecare box from the seller in the mail, you open the box to get the code. You attempt to enroll it with apple either by online or by phone. Then apple sends an email or askes over the phone for the orginal receipt for the applecare. Apple wants to know where it was bought from. Was it from an authorized apple dealer? Also Apple want to know the date on the receipt to prove it was bought during the eligibility 1 year period of your mac. But you don't have that receipt. You only have the Paypal/Ebay receipts that are not authorized apple dealer receipts. You then contact the ebay seller to request for such a receipt. The seller doesn't have one either and can't help you and the seller has already got your money. Your applecare is not enrolled but put on hold pendng for you to submit the receipt in to apple and you computer isn't enrolled with the applecare you bought. You contact the ebay seller again for a refund and explan your circumstances. The seller won't refund your money because the applecare box is not sealed any more, you opened the box to get the code and more so the code has already been used with attempting to enroll your computer. Buy from me and this exact thing won't happen."

My Money gone, Applecare gone, can't get my money back anymore and worst of all I can't just buy another Applecare and re-register since I am out of the extension period!

So people beware of especially this Guy! AND NEVER BUY APPLECARE FROM EBAY!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

wiewiorowski

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
charlese,

Sorry to hear what happened to you; I have also recently purchased AppleCare for my MacBook Pro from the same seller. I am still within my PayPal resolution period, so could you please provide me with the email Apple sent you, to back up my case?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue is that when you buy applecare you need the box. Too many ebay sellers are selling counterfeit applecare - just the code. Apple is within its right to ask proof of purchase to ensure you have a valid copy.

I feel for the OP, as he thought he was getting a great deal, but was taken for a ride instead :(

wiewiorowski

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
Just to let you guys know; opening a case in the eBay resolution centre against sellers like this does work. I just got my illegitimate AppleCare refunded by doing so.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I remember the same scam from 2010. It's basically risk free for the scammer. They sell hundreds of codes and only if the codes get used twice or if the buyer needs the warranty then the money gets refunded. Even if that is the case in 20% of cases the scammer still makes tons of money. The problem here is that the codes initially work and the scammer gets positive feedback. Apple needs to implement a better tracking system of their codes to prevent that. It's in a small part apples fault to have their codes hacked yet they still accept them initially. They should change the entire system.

In the meantime I would never buy AppleCare through eBay or Amazon because the risk is not only the 249 bucks for the AppleCare. It's the loss of warranty that may cost two years down the road 2000 bucks.

pikachu2k7

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina

Did you give the Ebay seller negative feedback?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
No offense OP, but you bought AppleCare from someone other than an authorized reseller. You played roulette and lost.

pikachu2k7

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
I fear it's too late for that; I already gave him positive feedback after a couple of weeks. I guess we just have to hope more people see these threads!

Unfortunately, there are people like this in the world. I have no affinity for these people. I believe they are apotheosis and ascendancy because they can "steal" from people who can't arraign them. Their arrears will not be absolved in front of an arbiter.

Ignore the arbitrary words above. I am studying for a major exam with lots of vocabulary for my job and just like the practice. The outlook is auspicious!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.