Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I'm looking to get applecare on my 13" MBP.

It's so much cheaper to get it on ebay. Is this a good way to go? Or should I go through Apple?

thoughts?

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Usually, people who buy AppleCare on eBay are scammed. I wouldn't buy from eBay. Buy AppleCare directly from Apple.

Wrong!
I bougth it on eBay, and before I sold the uMBP I owned, it had its screen and logic board repaired under the AppleCare I bought on Ebay.
Pretty happy with it, and reasonable price.

I would recommend it, it is way overpriced if you buy it directly from Apple. On eBay you just have to be careful like you are with any other kind of purchase you would do on eBay... check the seller's comments, specially those about the same item you're buying... make sure you can pay with PayPal so you are insured... etc... etc...

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
Wrong!
I bougth it on eBay, and before I sold the uMBP I owned, it had its screen and logic board repaired under the AppleCare I bought on Ebay.
Pretty happy with it, and reasonable price.

I would recommend it, it is way overpriced if you buy it directly from Apple. On eBay you just have to be careful like you are with any other kind of purchase you would do on eBay... check the seller's comments, specially those about the same item you're buying... make sure you can pay with PayPal so you are insured... etc... etc...

Wrong!:rolleyes:
Notice how I said USUALLY! Search the forums (https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=20084847) and look at this 22 page thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/). Then I'm pretty sure you'll think about it again.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Wrong!:rolleyes:
Notice how I said USUALLY! Search the forums (https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=20084847) and look at this 22 page thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/690859/). Then I'm pretty sure you'll think about it again.

Usually means a high rate... and either I didn't search enough when I bought mine... or I was blind... but the overall feeling from everything I read when I bought it (and I bought it last December) is that there were many people happy :)
Usually (and this is a fact) people who have problems comment about them on forums, either looking for help or just warning others, but those who are happy with their purchase don't say anything ;)

To the OP... just read different opinions and decide for yourself, but please... don't fear Apple :) You don't need to buy from Apple, lucky us... capitalism has allowed us this "freedom"

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
As you can see: results may vary.

Plenty have done it and it seems most are fine; but, it only takes once for you to stop.

If you need a cheaper reliable source check Amazon or L.A. Computer.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
e-Bay is fine, just be smart about it.
check out the seller's feedback.
most of the time if they sell them, they sell a lot of them and should have feedback of previous buyers buying the same product.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
e-Bay is fine, just be smart about it.
check out the seller's feedback.
most of the time if they sell them, they sell a lot of them and should have feedback of previous buyers buying the same product.

The problem is say 60 days down the line, when the post no longer exists, you can't edit your feedback, nor can you get a refund… the seller calls up Apple and has the AppleCare refunded or does a charge back on whatever card they bought the AppleCare with. Then they are looking at holding maybe 80% of the original purchase, while you are out AppleCare and no longer eligible to buy it again. In the end they still end up with a ton of money and can go on to deceive the next customer.

I think the best way is to buy it with a student discount; even if you're not a student, ask a friend who may be a student to do it for you.

hamlinspahn

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Oklahoma City
ebay

If you can get it cheaper on ebay and can be sure it hasn't already been used, or isn't stolen, buy it on ebay. But if it hasn't been used or hot how can they sell it for less?

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
thanks for all the feedback. i definitely have a lot to think about. the last poster does bring up an interesting point. how can people sell it so cheap on ebay, amazon, etc?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
how can people sell it so cheap on ebay, amazon, etc?

For Amazon direct, they just sell it a little bit cheaper by making less money; but when you buy on ebay, the sellers can sell it for a lot cheaper because the codes are (1) generated, (2) bought with a stolen card, or (3) grows on trees.

Now the first 2 are true; as with the second one, even if it's not with a stolen card, then can get a refund 60 days down the line after you have registered it. By then you are no longer protected under buyer protection.

And when the seller gets a refund for AppleCare, Apple does not notify you and definitely does not ask for you permission. They will simply refund it and then you won't know you lost AppleCare until you send it and then find out you don't have AppleCare anymore.

It's just the risk you're willing to take. For my computers, I buy AppleCare from Apple with a student discount (they don't really check ID these days); for iPod, I have bought AppleCare on ebay twice because I decided that my possible losses would be low if I did get scammed.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
The problem is say 60 days down the line, when the post no longer exists, you can't edit your feedback, nor can you get a refund… the seller calls up Apple and has the AppleCare refunded or does a charge back on whatever card they bought the AppleCare with. Then they are looking at holding maybe 80% of the original purchase, while you are out AppleCare and no longer eligible to buy it again. In the end they still end up with a ton of money and can go on to deceive the next customer.

I think the best way is to buy it with a student discount; even if you're not a student, ask a friend who may be a student to do it for you.

you're talking as if scamming is that easy.
if the seller scammed customers like that, they would be shut down in no time.
buyers can open a dispute, which gives strikes once won. 3 strikes and the buyer is shut down, if e-bay doesn't shut them down before that directly.

the only way to get scammed and not be able to do much about it is if the seller has 0 feedback and has nothing to lose really, and doesn't put much information on the line of e-bay. just an in, scam, and out.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Who knows why they can sell it for cheap but you should know that Amazon and eBay are very different when it comes to Applecare. The primary difference is that Amazon is an authorized reseller while ebay as an entity isn't.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
you're talking as if scamming is that easy.
if the seller scammed customers like that, they would be shut down in no time.
buyers can open a dispute, which gives strikes once won. 3 strikes and the buyer is shut down, if e-bay doesn't shut them down before that directly.

the only way to get scammed and not be able to do much about it is if the seller has 0 feedback and has nothing to lose really, and doesn't put much information on the line of e-bay. just an in, scam, and out.

You can't open a dispute after 60 days. ;)

And a lot of the sellers are being shutdown quickly, but at the same time many new ones are sprouting up.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
You can't open a dispute after 60 days. ;)

And a lot of the sellers are being shutdown quickly, but at the same time many new ones are sprouting up.

well, you should know within 60 days if your applecare is legit or not.

and the new ones that sprout up won't have much feedback.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I have bought AppleCare on eBay multiple times for much less than retail with total success. The warranties have stayed legitimate. As long as you're smart about eBaying, which should go without saying (look up feedback etc), you should be fine.

There are other ways in which people can sell AppleCare for cheaper than retail that don't involve scams or stolen credit cards.

King Apple

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
When buying on ebay, make sure you do your research and look for a 100 percent authentic seller with a moderately high feedback score. Usually go for the sealed boxes.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
All it takes is a little sense and you can get a great deal on eBay. I bought my AppleCare off eBay for my iPhone for roughly a third of the apple store price. As sad as this is, I've replaced this current iPhone 3g 4 times under this AppleCare. So, no issues at all! I looked at numerous sellers before I bought. They had sold roughly 1300 various form of AppleCare and had 100% positive feedback. I believe AppleCare and apple products were all they sold so I took a chance and it paid off. Notice that I said chance! Just thought I'd share my experience.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
Some stores have their own insurance which may beat apple, a store here offered me a complete coverage against factory failures and electric discharges for 129$ for 3 years, and if the computer breaks down on year 3 they won't even fix it, just replace it. however it could not be your best choice if you want phone support (which i don't need at all with this forum) most of the issues are common and you can just search them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.