AppleCare+: to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AirSupply, Oct 25, 2011.

1. AirSupply macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have been thinking a lot about buying Applecare+, but I am still unsure whether I really need it or not. I have owned an iPhone 4s and many many smartphone before, but I have never purchased any kind of insurance for any of them (only for my macbook pro). Since the Applecare+ released, to me it is a good insurance in comparison with Asurion etc. However, I am a very careful person and take care of my personal stuff very well.

The cost for 2 times of replacement is $200 ($99 + $50/each time), and it is equal the cost of the original device on contract. It is a scenario, if I brake my phone twice, I end up paying $200 + $200 = $400. Indeed, if I don't have the Applecare+, I will have to pay $200 + $800 for only one accident. This is my basic cost analysis and it sounds reasonable to me.

People always make decision when the benefits exceed cost, but I do need another reason to buy the Applecare+ due to the past of free accident (I always sell my phone less than 12 months).

Everyone is welcome to leave comment and advice. Thank you all

2. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am also contemplating on getting it. I didn't even know that I could still purchase it. I though it was a "get it during preorder or no insurance at all" type deal. I'm glad I still have the option. I think I am going to get it. Paying a one time fee of $100 and then $50 for a brand new iPhone is worth it in my opinion. You never know when an accident may occur, whether it's your carelessness or not. I also feel that knowing I have insurance on my phone makes me feel a lot more comfortable thinking about if something were to happen to the phone. It's an investment. You paid $200 for a $500+ product and although you may be the most careful person in the world, things can happen. If you really mess it up and must replace it, that's $500+ right there vs $50.

3. RipsMctits macrumors regular

"if I brake my phone twice, I end up paying $200 + $200 = $400"

I'm not sure what you mean here. It's $100 for AppleCare+. Each incident costs $50. You only pay the $100 one time. Therefore, if you break your phone twice your total cost is $200.

I will be getting AppleCare+ because I don't want to be left in the cold if Apple decides to revoke the $200 out-of-warranty replacement policy.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Don't forget the AppleCare+ also extends the warranty by a year so if your home button dies or a button stops working after a year and a half it gets replaced for free instead of spending $200. **** happens to phones, I would rather know I only have to pay $50 if I smash the screen, and if something goes wrong hardware wise I am covered for the length of my contract.

Also keep in mind AppleCare can be transferred to a new owner if you like to upgrade every year, adds value to your phone!

5. MayBee macrumors 6502

accident does happen no matter how careful you are. I thought I was very careful myself when I dropped my old iphone in the past. I bought a $100 case back then, but it still cracked the front glass. I wish I used that $100 for 2 years insurance to get a new one. Oh well...lesson learned. As a result, I bought Squaretrade for $90 similar to applecare+ and not worry about dead battery, dropped case, malfunction, etc ever for the period of 2 years. $100 case for me or a $100 for 2 years protection? :)

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

So many mistakes in the OP's math. Applecare+ is $100 + $50 for each incident. Each incident is $50 and not $150. Two incidents would be $200 total.

Out of warranty replacement with no Applecare is $200 total. $200 for each incident.

That's it. No more. I would not pay anything for Applecare or Applecare+ when the complete replacement is only $200.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Granted I fell into a river with my 3GS ($221) and dropped the replacement on asphalt ($221) in three years time I am getting AppleCare+.

8. rkeato1 macrumors regular

+1 for applecare+. Stuff happens, and I'd rather be prepared.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

So by your math with two incidents its worthwhile to pay $200 more? You haven't even figured in the fact of the warranty extension, if his buttons stop working and he is out of warranty thats also $200. Not great economics to me

10. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I have received different answers from Apple on the out-of-warranty replacement. On launch day they told met that would still be doing the $200 replacement. Since then I have gone back to buy many more phones and I usually ask this question just for fun. I have gotten more people saying they will continue to do it but also people who say they are going to stop that.

11. AirSupply thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the confusion, I just maximized the cost of the coverage to 2 accidents

I also added the original cost of the phone on top of it because I considered a total damage would lead to a new purchase of brand new phone

12. bls8195 macrumors newbie

I think now after reading all this I will probaly go back and purchase it, I see Apple says I have until Nov 14th to get it.

13. xplnusa macrumors regular

We bought it for both of our new 4s's... I can't see going without it. I did have to have my 3G replaced once when the headphone jack stopped working for one side of the headphones. That happened about 2 months before the 2 year mark (I bought applecare back then too) and they replaced my phone. So I got a fresh refurb right about the two year mark. That was nice....

14. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

When I called Apple, unlike the old AppleCare where you had like 90 days to purchase, AppleCare+ has to be purchased at the same time as you purchase the phone.

15. Manzanas macrumors member

Where is it in print that an out of replacement cost is $200? I couldn't find it anywhere.

16. Manzanas macrumors member

Not this time. Apple is making a provision and allowing purchase of applecare+ until nov 14th. After that yes you have to buy it with the phone.

I've called them about four times and every single time I've been able to have the option to purchase apple care plus if I wanted to.

17. RipsMctits macrumors regular

Not if you pre-ordered or got it on the 14th.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

Go to http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone
    Click on Warranty & Service Pricing, then "My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?"

There's a bit of wiggle room though, no telling how it will be interpreted/applied in the future:

19. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

I called Applecare yesterday, and the guy I talked to said that it is $199 for a 4S replacement, and $149 for a previous model replacement.

20. LightzOut macrumors newbie

so if i got my 4s on launch at sprint without preorder or anything i can still get apple + and is the better then square trade i read a couple of articles that said square was better... honestly 500 for two phones + cases left me a little broke... so another 100-200 at the time was a no go.

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Got mine using my amex covered for all repairs for the next 2 years!

22. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

So I guess they'll continue doing the out-of-warranty replacements then. That's good, I'd rather not spend the money up front I think.

----------

I've used AMEX for all my iPhone purchases, if it breaks I'm covered? How do I file a claim and is it just warranty or insurance?

23. ransomed macrumors newbie

GoCare. I've never used it, but I am considering it for my wife and I. Family plan is lower in price, and you get unlimited claims on all plans. Also, technical failures down the road (i.e. power button failure, or headphone jack stops working) are also covered for free most of the time. AND there's no time limit on when you can buy.

http://www.gocare.com/iphone-insurance

24. MDTyKe macrumors regular

I'll be honest, I live around the corner from 4 Apple Stores and the convenience just makes Applecare+ work. I'd rather pay a few extra $ to know I'll not go without loss of phone than to deal with USPS/UPS/FedEx.. waiting around for it to arrive (probably losing a days worth of work in the process) etc.

25. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Well I think I'll be getting it now, I wasn't going to buy if there isn't anything concrete that says they will replace it if I break it for $200.00 then I guess I better buy it.