AppleCare VS SquareTrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrhuynh94, Aug 22, 2012.

1. mrhuynh94 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I will be buying a new Macbook Pro 13". I am also thinking about getting AppleCare. I will get the student discount which will cost my 180 for AppleCare. The thing is, AppleCare doesnt seem to cover that much. Pretty much just manufacturer defects, which I think will be unlikely with apple. So should I purchase the AppleCare or go on Amazon and purchase the 3 year SquareTrade Drop+Spills warranty for the same price? Thanks!

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Why would a student be worried about accidental damage instead of just defects? Can't imagine....:rolleyes:

I think you're on the right track. Might be a bit harder to get some stuff repaired, but Apple Care is pretty expensive for what you get. Remember if you buy it: you're betting their stuff is gonna be defective, they are betting it won't be. You'll have economic classes that will discuss that, but my vote is with the house.

Rob

3. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

Sounds like a trade off: Accidental Damage coverage versus 3 years of Apple technical support. I opted for Apple Care so I can get technical support. And I've already used it. Of course that probably makes more sense for a newbie like myself.

4. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Another way is Apple Care for speedy repairs and a State Farm insurance policy that covers accidental damage and theft for $50 per year.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

"spills" of course.:D

6. Dronac macrumors member

Time to make your decision harder! Some credit cards offer their own warranty extension. American Express extends warranties by 1 year (if the factory warranty is 5 years or less or something like that). IIRC, someone on this forum used their AmEx warranty to get their Macbook replaced when they didn't have Applecare. It's a bit less convenient, but it doesn't cost you anything (assuming you pay it off and avoid interest).

I'm not sure if I'll drop the money on AppleCare since I bought my MBPr with my AmEx.

7. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

If you are a student, then you already have 3 years worth of AppleCare for parts and labour. The only thing you dont get is telephone support for software etc.

Of course if you bought the Macbook elsewhere, then you wont have the extra warranty, but I cant see why any student wouldnt order from Apple directly through their education store.

8. Silmarien macrumors member

I thought that was the case only in the UK. Am I mistaken?

9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

That's UK only. The US must pay the $240 fee. It's discounted if you're a student, just not included.

----------

No you're correct. Only the UK has it included.