Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
I've tried to search for the answer to this, so forgive me if this has already been covered. I just got an iPhone today and unlocked it to use with T-Mobile, but when I attempt to register the phone with Applecare, it predictably tells me I have not activated the phone with ATT and cannot do this.

Has anyone figured out a workaround to this? What have other people done who want Applecare but don't use ATT? Should I just use the 999-99-9999 method when registering to get a Pay as you Go plan but then never use it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
One workaround is to purchase it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so you have precisely the same length of coverage as Applecare on iPhone (two years).

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
The Apple Store Genius Bars have a huge sign that says that they will not service unlocked iPhones. I went to get my iPod serviced and watched them turn away one guy for service because his phone was unlocked. They didn't care that he had Applecare on it. :(

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
there is no workaround for applecare with an unlocked iphone.. virtually, you have already voided the standard warranty by modifying the iphone to work on another network, per apple's legal info.. my advice, is to return the applecare you bought, and hopefully get your money back for it, as long as you haven't opened the box.. otherwise, you might be out of luck..

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Unlocked iPhones and AppleCare...

don't mix; sorta like water and oil. Both AT&T and Apple have one thing in common regarding your brand new iPhone; it's your "phone number!" The first thing the Apple Genius will ask is "what is your number," he/she will then enter it into their system to verify that it's been activated with AT&T. I saw one person at the Apple Store this evening, do a "360" and almost immediately, he was on the sidewalk after the Genius said "sorry it's unlocked!" :eek:

ducksrfr

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Austin, TX
thanks

I checked with my credit card company and I do have warranty protection, so thankfully I have something tofall back on. I already opened the Applecare box, so I'm not going to bother with trying to return it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I checked with my credit card company and I do have warranty protection, so thankfully I have something tofall back on. I already opened the Applecare box, so I'm not going to bother with trying to return it.
Wonder how that's going to work?

Credit card warranty protection usually works by having you send your phone in to the manufacturer for out-of-warranty service, having you pay whatever that costs, and then they (the credit card company) reimburses you for the cost.

Since Apple won't service your unlocked phone, I don't see how the credit card company reimbursing you for the cost of the expense (which will be $0, since Apple won't fix anything on an unlocked phone) will help you any. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.