AppleCare worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gooberton, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Whats so great about apple care? Don't you automaticly get a year free? What does it cover?

2. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Apple manufacturer warranty isn't the same as Applecare+. You do get one year manufacturer warranty, but it doesn't cover water damage or cracked screens, Applecare+ does, I also think it's the cheapest because you only pay $99 dollars for 2 years and $79 deductible. Most protection plans costs $9.99 a month and $200 deductibles! which is way more expensive. Also, I do not trust anybody else replacement phones, but Apple's.

Apple also has a Express replacement service, they send you a replacement phone overnight and you don't even need to send your old phone first. You can send it within 10 days after you receive the new phone. Most other places have you waiting for 5 to 6 business days before you can have a new phone.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

4. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I normally don't get it for cheaper devices, but for an $850 iPhone 6 Plus, I do plan on getting it. Mainly for the accidental protection. I'd rather pay $99 + $79 to get a new phone than hundreds of dollars - and it covers two accidents in that 2 year period, as well as the extra year of faulty components.

5. drober30 macrumors 6502a

And covers accessories too, lightning cord, plug and headphones.

Apples lightning cords suck so you could replace that twice for free in the 2nd year. My end always frays or stops charging reliably.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I think it's worth it. You save money on cases because you don't need one. If your phone gets damaged accidentally, you can get a replacement for a $79(?) deductible. Also, it includes battery replacement. For example, my iPhone5 is nearly 2 years old and I just had the battery replaced because it was "discharging quickly". I'm going in next week and getting the phone replaced because the battery is still not too great. the Apple store employees are pretty cool when it comes to swapping the phone out. In fact, the guy told me what to say to get the battery replaced and they wrote on the work order that if the battery replacement didn't help, to swap the phone out. So, after two years, I'll have a brand new (refurbished) iPhone. All for $99.

7. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Is it possible to get it after your iPhone purchase? I ordered mine from att.com and there wasn't an option for it.

8. stickybuns macrumors 6502

My understanding is that you make a Genius appointment within 30 days of purchase (activation?), so they can determine that you have no preexisting damage, and then you're able to sign up for coverage.

9. Lamarak macrumors 6502

The phone has become a centerpiece of all lives and is becoming more needed in every day life with the importance of NFC and other wireless actions that are becoming more the norm as time, its almost a is crime not to insure that your device is taken care of, and I do fine that AppleCare the best for the money.

10. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

I think it is absolutely worth it since they expanded it to cover accidental damage. Let me give you a real world example.

I bought AppleCare on my 5S for $99; my wife did not.

I got my phone wet and had it replaced for $79. Effectively, with the AppleCare I paid at $99, that was a total cost of $178 to get it replaced. AND because AppleCare covers two replacements at this price, I can get a second replacement if I need it for another $79. This equates to a total of TWO completely replaced phones for $257 on AppleCare.

On the other hand, my wife who did not have AppleCare dropped her 5S and cracked the screen. Because Apple had not yet started doing in store repairs of the screen, they charged her $279 for a new phone.

So, on AppleCare, I can get TWO replacements for a total of $257; because my wife did not have AppleCare, she had to pay $279 for ONE replacement. If she needs her phone replaced again in the future, she will pay whatever the going rate is then for a repair or replacement.

M

Edited to hopefully correct my poor math skills.

11. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Thanks, now I get to test out our new Apple Store they built near me.

12. munakib macrumors 6502

yah, spending over $900 on the iPhone6+ so I am definitely gonna get it.

13. YoNadz macrumors regular

Another perk of AppleCare comes two years from now. Let's say you buy the AppleCare but never use it. Towards the end of the coverage you know a new iPhone will be announced (at least that's how it's been so far). Your iphone shows almost 2 years of wear and won't nessecarily get you top dollar resale towards your new purchase. Easy solution, drop it in a cup of water, head up to the apple store and pay $79 for a new one. Now you've got a prestine new iPhone to sell and use the profits towards your new purchase =).

I don't buy AppleCare on my MacBooks or other Apple products, but on a phone, that's with you everyday, and takes abuse it's a MUST!!

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Applecare+ vs. VISA Signature extended warranty?
    Anyone?

15. avaloncourt, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I have consistently purchased Applecare. I just used it on my iPhone 5 two weeks ago. My phone starting acting goofy. I had problems with Bluetooth connections and it would reboot randomly. I used it on my iPhone 4 which couldn't hold a charge. I've also had Applecare on two Macbook Pros that required servicing due to defects.

Applecare is nice because you get priority treatment with advanced exchange on phones without a fee and they pay the overnight shipping to return the defective one.

(If it isn't obvious, I don't live anywhere near an Apple store. They handle the turnaround very quickly in those cases. On my Macbook Pro repairs, they sent a box, received it the next day, fixed it that same day, and shipped it back on that same day. I had it the following day. One day without the computer.)

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

You have 60 days. ;)

How to get AppleCare+

Add it to your shopping cart during the checkout process when you purchase your new iPhone.
    Buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase. Your iPhone purchase date is the date we ship and charge you for your order:

At an Apple Retail Store (requires inspection of your iPhone and proof of purchase)

By calling (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

17. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

I've had a new iPhone every two years since the iPhone 3G and never bought Apple care and never needed it. I just use a typical hard shell case with some lip in the front, and am very careful with it. I resell my phone every couple of years to upgrade and it's darn near in like new condition. Get a case with some decent protection and be careful with your phone and save yourself the money unless you are just accident-prone.

18. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Thanks for that link. Does it matter if the iPhone wasn't purchased thru Apple directly?

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I never purchased Apple care for my 4S and 5S, but this time I think I'll get one, because the iPhone i want is nearly $1000 - 6+, 64GB, Gold or Silver. There's something about that $1000 mark that tells me to get an extended warranty.

20. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

Square trade is better acd damage replacement i think is $50 and last for 3 years

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Nope.

22. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

People like this are the reason the replacement cost went up to $79.

23. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I generally saw no. You pay $100 for the Service and then the deductible is like $80.

So you're paying $100 up front for something you probably won't use.

If you do break it, it costs you another $80 to replace it, and if you don't have AppleCare, they'll give you a refurbished one for like $280 or something close.

So would you rather pay $100 up front for the chance to save $100 when you need a replacement? It's not worth it to me.

24. thekb macrumors 6502a

I am always skeptical of the reactions anytime anyone asks about Applecare. Extended warranties are always the highest profit margin thing any company sells, but these threads are always flooded with people that just wouldn't buy an iphone without it.

That said, I bought it on my iphone because I was 1 day before my warranty ended and I had a bad power switch. There is a fee to do the advance replacement deal (they send you a phone so you can keep yours while the replacement is on the way), but the fee is waived if you have applecare. So rather than throwing about $25 down the drain as a fee, I spent the $70 or $80 (however much it was) on applecare and extended my warranty by a year too. It made more financial sense when you factored in the waived fee.

25. GmDude66 macrumors 6502

Never bought AppleCare.

I have never cracked/dropped in water any of the iPhones/iPad I have owned.
    (or any other phone I have owned)

3G, 4, 5, and iPad Mini