Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I paid $195 for AppleCare (I registered it today) on my new Late 2016 MBP with Touch Bar.

In my opinion, $100 a year (for two additional years is worth it to me. That ends up being a lot cheaper (to me) than if I were to save up for a 'catch all' repair on my own. I paid for the MBP with my American Excess Blue card. So, I am good to go warranty wise.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Agree. Do NOT get it from Apple though (unless you have a good corp/education discount). Get it from Amazon or B&H Photo, etc. at a big discount! I put a calendar reminder to buy it at 6 months post purchase to help spread out some of the cost. You can do it up until the day before your 1 year warranty expires.

Have I used it? Yes. 2012 MBA: failed SSD at 2 years. 2012 (bought 2013) Thunderbolt 27" display: power cord issue, they also replaced the entire LCD screen for me summer of 2016, 2008 24" iMac: had GPU issue at 2.75 years into it, replaced entire logic board and the LCD. That meant new CPU, GPU, etc....great!

AC is tied to your product SN and is fully transferable if you sell it --> increased resale value and protection for the buyer. I don't do this, but some people sell at about 2.5 years old with 6 months of warranty left. No need to really transfer it, it just stays tagged to the computer.
Interesting, so you didn't buy your MBA at an Apple store yet you still were able to buy AppleCare and thereby got full service of the Apple Genius Bar for AppleCare's duration. Did you buy AC at Apple or from the retailer in which you bought your 2012 MBA?

ZhenyaF said:
The Applecare for computers is a direct reflection of the standard 1 year warranty and covers exactly the same things (unlike Applecare+ for iPhones, which covers damage as well). The only thing that it adds is phone coverage past the original 90 days.

Applecare begins at the time you purchase the laptop. So the warranty would be for 3 years from 11/25/16 (until 11/25/19).
Got it. Thanks and thanks for the link.
[doublepost=1479841963][/doublepost]
I paid $195 for AppleCare (I registered it today) on my new Late 2016 MBP with Touch Bar.

In my opinion, $100 a year (for two additional years is worth it to me. That ends up being a lot cheaper (to me) than if I were to save up for a 'catch all' repair on my own. I paid for the MBP with my American Excess Blue card. So, I am good to go warranty wise.
Isn't AppleCare $249? http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...n-plan-for-macbook-macbook-air-13-macbook-pro

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Interesting, so you didn't buy your MBA at an Apple store yet you still were able to buy AppleCare and thereby got full service of the Apple Genius Bar for AppleCare's duration. Did you buy AC at Apple or from the retailer in which you bought your 2012 MBA?

Got it. Thanks and thanks for the link.
[doublepost=1479841963][/doublepost]Isn't AppleCare $249? http://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...n-plan-for-macbook-macbook-air-13-macbook-pro
You don't have to buy AppleCare directly from Apple. As long as it is purchased through a legitimate retailer, reseller, or private sale (that isn't a scam like Ebay), you will be fine.

Last edited:

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
You don't have to buy AppleCare directly from Apple. As long as it is purchased through a legitimate retailer, reseller, or private sale (that isn't a scam like Ebay), you will fine.
Thanks. If you can buy AppleCare at any legitimate retailer, where did you buy yours for $195?

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
If you spent money for a MacBook, you can afford Apple Care too.

I used it twice on my MacBooks and tree times for my iPhones.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
My money is VERY tight actually so I would have to get AppleCare later. I work for a university in admissions so I wonder if that would qualify for the educational discount. I'm neither a student nor faculty member so I'm guessing the answer would be no.
[doublepost=1479850605][/doublepost]
Yes! Applecare is the reason this brand new 15" MacBook Pro cost me only £200.
Ok....help me understand THAT one! Sounds great.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
My money is VERY tight actually so I would have to get AppleCare later. I work for a university in admissions so I wonder if that would qualify for the educational discount. I'm neither a student nor faculty member so I'm guessing the answer would be no.
[doublepost=1479850605][/doublepost]Ok....help me understand THAT one! Sounds great.
If you have a working college email address, you can do it. ;)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
[doublepost=1479850605][/doublepost]Ok....help me understand THAT one! Sounds great.

Ok. I bought a used 2012 15" MBP from a member on here. It had previously had a few issues that he had got repaired. Well, 7 repairs in total. The Applecare had expired too. It then developed symptoms of the well known GPU issue affecting the 2012 models so I took it to Apple as it was covered under their extended repair program.

Long story short, rather than repair it again, they offered to replace it with a like for like model at current specs, which was at the time, a maxed out 2015 model. I agreed and left the shop. Unfortunately when I got home, it too had issues out of the box so I returned it, at which point I was offered a replacement again or a gift card. Knowing the 2016 update was right around the corner, I took the latter. The result was that I only had to pay £250 towards the cost of the 15" rMBP with touchbar.

Had the original machine not had AppleCare, it likely wouldn't have went through so many repairs after the first year and Apple certainly wouldn't have replaced it 4 years later under only the limited warranty. I've also had similar experiences with iMacs which have developed faults during the AppleCare term, often getting replacements rather than multiple repairs for particularly difficult issues.

For that reason, I wouldn't be without it.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
Thanks. If you can buy AppleCare at any legitimate retailer, where did you buy yours for $195?

you can get it from Apple direct at a discount (education or corporate if you have it)
I also recommend B&H Photos, Adorama or Amazon (if "shipped and sold by Amazon")
[doublepost=1479854810][/doublepost]

As an employee, it's probably extended to you as well. You can go to the apple education store, search for your university and then it will pull up the details of for you.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Short answer, if you can afford to replace a Macbook with no financial strain, computer downtime is not an issue, and you generally find tech support useless, then don't get it. I got it because I will need priority tech support (and resolution) should something go wrong since it is a work computer. The cost is nothing compared to down productivity time.

I am not advocating getting it in all cases. I didn't on my last two macs. First died after 2-3 years. The second lasted 7 years and going. It's hit or miss and a gamble. And if you can afford to self-insure, why pay some company to insure for you. Apple support is pretty good relative to other companies, so it has that going for it. I just can't risk any downtime for this particular computer.

I would guess for most people, this is a sizable investment and not easily replaced financially, at least judging from US savings statistics. In that case, it's a must. No different than insuring a car for most people. If you can't afford to pay to fix your car in the event of an accident, than you need comprehensive insurance. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges since that's accident vs. hardware failure, but same idea in terms of affordability.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Also important to note, if you're planning on flipping your MBP after 1-2 years and upgrading to the latest model all the time, AppleCare makes it much easier to sell.

ritbethere

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
For Apple product, the repair cost is quite expensive... If you compare it with apple care, it will worth it... But it is expensive in my mind. Just like insurance... if you are a lame driver, you better has a better insurance.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I've gotten my iMac screen replaced twice now because two in a row have been ruined with image retention issues. The third display I have now also has these issues and also one of the internal fans is rattling with rage.

So I'm pretty happy with my decision to buy Apple Care.

Apple seems content with manufacturing cheap crap which dies after just 2 years of use so I see it as a good investment.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I got it because I will need priority tech support (and resolution) should something go wrong since it is a work computer. The cost is nothing compared to down productivity time.
I didn't think Apple Care (basic consumer) gives you priority support; only free repair. Perhaps you are referring to Apple Care for Business which I imagine is more expensive.

No different than insuring a car for most people.
Apple Care is not like auto insurance which covers accidents and damage you cause to others. Apple Care is for defective merchandise.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Ok. I bought a used 2012 15" MBP from a member on here. It had previously had a few issues that he had got repaired. Well, 7 repairs in total. The Applecare had expired too. It then developed symptoms of the well known GPU issue affecting the 2012 models so I took it to Apple as it was covered under their extended repair program.

Long story short, rather than repair it again, they offered to replace it with a like for like model at current specs, which was at the time, a maxed out 2015 model. I agreed and left the shop. Unfortunately when I got home, it too had issues out of the box so I returned it, at which point I was offered a replacement again or a gift card. Knowing the 2016 update was right around the corner, I took the latter. The result was that I only had to pay £250 towards the cost of the 15" rMBP with touchbar.

Had the original machine not had AppleCare, it likely wouldn't have went through so many repairs after the first year and Apple certainly wouldn't have replaced it 4 years later under only the limited warranty. I've also had similar experiences with iMacs which have developed faults during the AppleCare term, often getting replacements rather than multiple repairs for particularly difficult issues.

For that reason, I wouldn't be without it.

i hope the guy told you how many repairs it had gone through before selling it to you, just for transparency!

impressive though, congrats glad it worked out!

since its probably still in return policy, liking it? cause you could always get a clearance or refurb 2015 and still have some left on that gift card,

just curious!

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
I didn't think Apple Care (basic consumer) gives you priority support; only free repair. Perhaps you are referring to Apple Care for Business which I imagine is more expensive.

Apple Care is not like auto insurance which covers accidents and damage you cause to others. Apple Care is for defective merchandise.
I consider helping you vs. not as "priority". I am not aware of a specific business version. Read the coverage, technical support is covered, not just hardware failure. If you've ever used windows, the PC manufacturer always says it's a Windows issue and Microsoft says it's the hardware. That's *****.

As noted when I said "apples and oranges". Financially, it is the same concept regardless of what is actually being insured, comprehensive vs. computer failure. If you can't afford to fix or replace due to failure (and downtime in this case), you need insurance. If you can't afford to fix your own car due to a fault accident, you need comprehensive car insurance. That's a rule of thumb for insurance. I generally don't buy insurance and take my chances, but I'm going to insure large assets for sure. What is considered a large asset is different for each person.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
My first MacBook was a 2008 unibody and I got Apple care with it. I went almost the entire duration of the warranty without using it, that is until about one month before it was set to expired. I had the unfortunate luck of the LCD screen cable being damaged somehow which caused about half of the screen to display a multitude of scrambled colors. I was greatful that I had my apple care and they replaced the screen for free in a matter of days.

Don't get caught without apple care or else you'll wish you had spent the extra few hundred dollars for piece of mind.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I am not aware of a specific business version. Read the coverage, technical support is covered, not just hardware failure.
Apple does, in fact, offer business/enterprise level Apple Care.

As noted when I said "apples and oranges". Financially, it is the same concept regardless of what is actually being insured, comprehensive vs. computer failure. If you can't afford to fix or replace due to failure (and downtime in this case), you need insurance. If you can't afford to fix your own car due to a fault accident, you need comprehensive car insurance. That's a rule of thumb for insurance.

I am not aware of any auto insurance (comprehensive or otherwise) covering auto defects. I have heard of extended warranties for cars, though.

I agree with your larger point that insurance would be merited if the risk of loss is catastrophic enough - for me a MacBook Pro does not fall into that category.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Depends how Much you spent, spending £4K on a laptop with zero repair ability worries some. The new ones are throw away if somethings goes wrong. Also remember these is no accidental damage with laptop AppleCare.
[doublepost=1479878365][/doublepost]
If I get a mac from a retailer that doesn't include the option for AppleCare (because it's not Apple), is there still some way to get it? I'm in a country with no Apple store.

Yes, order online and add the AppleCare within 12 months. You are in EU right

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
My first MacBook was a 2008 unibody and I got Apple care with it. I went almost the entire duration of the warranty without using it, that is until about one month before it was set to expired. I had the unfortunate luck of the LCD screen cable being damaged somehow which caused about half of the screen to display a multitude of scrambled colors. I was greatful that I had my apple care and they replaced the screen for free in a matter of days.

Don't get caught without apple care or else you'll wish you had spent the extra few hundred dollars for piece of mind.
It is well to keep in mind that it appears that only those who have bought Apple Care and benefited from it post their stories here and recommend it while we hear no testimonials from those who haven't benefited. I would guess that for every one who has benefitted there are something like a thousand who have not. Thus the recommendation to buy Apple Care because you have benefited without consideration of the contrary experience of most likely many more others is quite biased. Still peace of mind is worth something; I am just saying think about it before automatically buying it.

Reactions: haruhiko
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.