Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This. Accidental damage including water damage is included in AC+ (2 instances per year) as long as you pay the deductible.
Pray allow me to pose the question of whether water damage as a result of taking a phone into the shower with you can be classed as "accidental" damage?

"Accidental" water (or liquid) damage has always seemed to me to be the sort of thing that happens as a result of spilling a cup of tea on your iPhone, (or keyboard), or knocking over a glass of beer, so that the contents spill onto a device, or - and some of us - Daughters of Eve, especially - have, lamentably, been known to have experienced this - those tragic accidents that sometimes occur in restrooms.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
So I’m just going to put it this way. My gf recently dropped her iPad Pro and the cost to fix this screen would be around $600 with tax because of no apple care, with apple care I think it’s $50 ~ $60. She has to pay the $600.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
The warranty doesn’t cover water damage, but with AC+, water damage is definitely considered accidental damage and covered under the deductible fee. In my case it fell in a pool and Face ID stopped working and it was definitely covered. I had a drowned iPhone 11 Pro Max replaced last year. No questions asked, I just said I need to replace this phone under my AC+ coverage due to water damage. Face ID is not working.

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
Its definitely worth it - use the Sierra Blue phone naked, enjoy the beautiful colour and feel guilt free about it too!

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
Particularly clumsy would describe me to a Tee. My husband calls me the master of disaster as I drop things and fall down all the time. I just a few minutes ago reached into a cabinet and dropped a bowl on my head. (I am super short) thankfully said bowl was plastic. Yesterday I was cleaning the bathroom, squatted down, and couldn't get back up so I ended up falling backward. So keeping Applecare Plus sounds like I should keep it.
I posted this in May of last year. I've had it for quite a while now. i just watched a podcast from Pay it Forward and they made a lot of sense. I canceled my Apple Care Plus. Honestly, I am a bit frightened but added it up and it is $95 a year. Not money I can get back on our very limited income as it is. I hope I am not making a mistake.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I've bough Apple Care for the iPhone X & Mac mini (2018) but never used it - felt waste of money so I got my self last year iPhone 13 Pro Max and Apple Watch 7 both without Apple Cares.

As far I know I'm very careful person and I've got a good case/screen protection for the iPhone which is cheaper then Apple Care & offer a good protection as well.

It is really up to you if you really need Apple Care or not.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Like all 'insurance' policies it's not worth it unless you are unlucky enough to need it, and is profitable for the manufacturer because on average most people don't use them.

Reactions: Barbareren

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not worth it if you keep your phone in a case and use a screen protector. I have never damaged an iPhone. IP68 means that you can submerge your phone in water also causing no damage. I have cleaned my phone underwater in the sink many times and even my IP67 iPhone 8 was never water damaged.

I own an iPad Mini 5 which has been inside an Otterbox Defender case since day one which basically makes the thing indestructible with the big rubber bumpers and built in screen and Touch ID protector. I recently took out the iPad, which I have dropped countless times, and it looks as good as new with zero scratches.

Reactions: tedley

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I went ahead and went with the AppleCare+ Theft and Loss Protection just because you never know what will happen that extra $269 is definitely worth the peace of mind.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I opted for the AppleCare with theft and loss this time around on my 13 Pro.

Personally I’d rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.