Applecare worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlamin517, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Is applecare worth it for the 3g iphone? I have never owned applecare before and i am wondering if it is a waste of money> thanks

2. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

depends....

if you're silly and drop your phone a lot, then yes.

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Actually, if you drop you phone and that breaks it (or even leaves a sign of the drop, then a part near it fails) it isn't covered by Apple Care.

4. harodude macrumors regular

I had an original iPhone on my plan back a few months ago.
    Often, there was something wrong with the phone be it battery, touch screen, or connection issues. So I called up Applecare and just had them send a box to me for a repair. The thing to know about that box though... IT LASTS FOR 90+ Days. So you can call in for repair... get the box.. wait until your phone is not working at all.. send it in and get fixed.

By that time, I believe that the warranty period is extended by 30-90 days, even after receiving the phone back.

Applecare wouldnt be worth it if this type of situation took place.

5. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I don't know about iPhones, but for all other apple devices, the 'extra' warranty is only on the work they performed to fix the issue...i.e. if the screen stopped responding to touch and Apple repaired it, you have an extra 30 days on the repair of the touch screen. So if (for example) the battery then dies, it won't be replaced under warranty.

I hope that makes sense.

6. harodude macrumors regular

That makes sense!

Sometimes I just throw in that the issue is still occuring, going along with your example, of the battery that It may be making other components such as the screen not function correctly.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i think im gonna get it. how much time do i have to get it? and how much is it? just got a iphone yesterday.

8. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I plan to purchase Apple Care....

9. beast macrumors member

i didn't get and don't plan on getting applecare for my new iPhone.... i got the insurance that o2 offered instead (it covers accidental damage, theft, loss, etc...)

10. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I thought now one offerd insurance for the iphone

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

You have a year to buy it from the date of purchase of your iPhone. I believe it is about $70, not sure though.

12. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I also got the O2 insurance. It's better than AppleCare, because it's actual insurance rather than an extended warranty, even though it is more expensive. They also provide worldwide replacements within 3 days (I think it's 3 days).

AppleCare just extends your warranty by 2 years. There's bound to be a new iPhone before that, if you have the option to upgrade.

13. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

14. player2 macrumors member

So what type of insurance/warranty is included in the purchase?

15. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Purchases using most credit cards will extend your warranty to 2 years for free. I've made excellent use of that feature numerous times over the years. AMEX is the best but most of the others do it as well.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There is no INSURANCE, There is a 1 year warranty. AT&T doesn't offer accidental damage coverage for PDA's (BB's, Palm etc).

17. markgamber macrumors 6502

I don't see it being worthwhile. For laptops and stuff yes, for the phone no way.

18. sozekizer macrumors member

i would've agreed in the past, that is, until the audio suddenly quit working on my ipod video about 2 months ago (a common issue apparently). had i had the apple care warranty on it the fees to repair would have been much much cheaper. based on that experience i did purchase the applecare for the iphone. it's $69, btw.

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

not getting applecare for my macbook is something i deeply regret. it's so worth the cost. i won't ever make that mistake again.

if apple is coming out with a yearly update for the iphone, its not worth buying, but if you plan on keeping your iphone for the full 2 years of its contract, i'd say it's worth it. i've had my first gen replaced several times at no cost for some pretty minor issues.

applecare is great protection for a fairly low cost. it only takes a couple small repairs before it pays for itself.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

For many of my friends, it is worth it

For me, it isn't

I am careful of how I treat it and where I keep it

21. cyberspastic macrumors newbie

I got it. I don't plan on upgrading for a while. if I end up selling my phone, the applecare transfers.

22. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Actually they do again. Just not the iphone. $4.99 , $50 deductible for now but will be going up. I called them yesterday.

23. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've bought it for all my Macs: G4 Tower, PowerBook, iMac (not my Mini) and not for any of my iPods or my original iPhone. I had the choice of paying $69 for Applecare for my original iPhone or selling it and buying the 3G, which cost me $40 in tax, activation, new skin. Now I have a new phone and new battery with 1 year of warranty.

I may get Applecare for it at the end of its 1 year warranty, but I wouldn't buy it now.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Honestly, I'm probably going to get the next iPhone in ~a years time so I might as well skip out on AppleCare given it lasts one year.

25. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I highly suggest against getting applecare. I bought applecare on my edge iphone, the screen cracked, and they wouldn't even look at it.

Applecare on my macbook? Amazing. They've fixed it so many times.

A question in relation to this thread though: Will they transfer the applecare from my old phone to my new one?