AppleCare+ worth the $149?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Duncanator, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

So I am considering getting AC+ on my 8+ so I can use the phone without a case (rebel...I know). Anywho, I was curious if it was actually worth the $150? Thanks!

2. shanshor macrumors regular

Remember that you stilll have to pay to have it repaired.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Isn't it $199 now?

EDIT: Never mind. The $199 is for the X only. I need more sleep. I can't be spending hours trying to figure out how to enter DFU mode on my 8 Plus. :D

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Please make a poll when you're asking a yes, no question

5. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Yes, because the difference in cost in replacing a screen with/without AC.....

6. KrisLord macrumors 68000

The main problem with AppleCare+ is it doesn’t cover your device if it’s lost or stolen.

Therefore you may need to cover it on another policy anyway.

7. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

That’s up to you. I personally don’t buy AppleCare as Apple offers repair options. Check out the following link which shows the costs of repairs with or without AppleCare:

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair

8. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

If you plan on going naked, you're going to want it. Trust me on that one.

9. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

Yup

Wish it was more than 2 repairs/replacements though for why you pay

10. Duncanator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I am not offered that option on Tapatalk?

11. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

I've had iPhones since the 4, iPods, MacBook pros, and an a iPad. I have never bought AppleCare and dont plan on it.

12. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

But you have to factor in the deductible. I mean if you break every phone you buy, then yes it's worth it. I only broke one phone screen ever, so if I bought AC+ on them all I would have spent thousands for what would have only cost me $200.

13. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

If you drop an iPhone 8 And it breaks the screen it will most likely also break the back glass or dent the steel housing
    And that a whole unit replacement

If you only crack the back glass that’s also a whole unit replacement

It’s shades of iPhone 4 all over again EXCEPT
    The back glass is part of the housing and it’s a larger clumsy magnet than the iPhone 4

A strong case may help. Time will tell

Do you feel lucky ?

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

While you're likely correct, I never have used Apple care and I don't use cases on my iPhones. But I have been fortunate where I have never had any issues with dropping it and I'm fairly careful with how I treat my iPhones. So I opt out of the AppleCare based on my usage and handling.

15. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

That’s a fair point and a judgment call that everyone has to make. For me, it’s a peace of mind thing. I’d rather not have to worry about what happens or how much it will cost if I slip up or drop my phone - stranger things have happened in my life lol. That coupled with twice the glass to break sealed the deal for me.

16. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing you don't have any kids. Lol

17. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Good point All Unidentifiable damage to phones and tablets in our household where caused by “ Not Me”

All the arguments for not having a safety net revolve around intentional vs unintentional damage.

So wise, so frugal, so careful

If you live in moms basement or feel lucky don’t buy it

18. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Absolutely, everybody's care and handling is different, but you never know when/if it's gonna take a drop. And how bad it's gonna be afterwards. That's why they're called accidents!

19. dulaney22 macrumors regular

LOL. That's my home.

1st grader other day fell and mom's new 8 Plus went flying . . . it is what it is

20. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

Its several hundred dollar device covered in glass that goes pretty much everywhere you do. It also spends a lot of its time being held a few feet above the ground in hands. You might not end up using it but if you need to, you'll be extremely thankful. If you mean is it worth it compared to other company's offerings in terms of insurance, absolutely, especially if you live near an Apple Store. The pure convenience of getting your phone fixed or exchanged is great. If you end up with a refurb through Apple, unlike other insurers, you know your phone will contain all legit factory parts. Refurbs through other means may not be.

21. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Ever hand your phone to a friend and think to yourself "please don't drop it" watching them handle it? Especially now with an all glass phone. Yep, I'd say AppleCare+

22. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

As mentioned above, accidents do happen and you and I are not immune to accidents. It can happen and if anyone says I’ve never had insurance because I’m very careful, failed to comprehend the first line I made, which says accidents do happen. ;)

23. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

I’m very careful and didn’t drop my iPhone since iPhone 4 and I’m still going to get Apple care plus for my iPhone 8 plus so if it does happen I have the piece of mind and not regret getting it when it does happen.

24. noles1983 macrumors regular

I got it, the $29 deductible for front glass replacement is nice, and I read that the back glass is super expensive to replace at like $400 out of warranty due to it bing basically fused into the phone.