AppleCare?????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spmiz12, Nov 19, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What is everyone's impression on AppleCare?? Does it pay off over the three years??? And is it better to buy at new or closer to end of first year?? Does it matter how Apple handles your needs??

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

near the end of first year is my choice ... why have Apple hang onto your cash for a year? :cool:

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I never leave home without it... :)

Seriously, I always buy it when I order each of my new Apple laptops. It's worth it to me to insure I'm covered for three full years. Now having had over fifteen new computers in the decade I've been with Apple I wouldn't have changed a thing. AppleCare has always done a good job for me. I highly endorse it.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

over 15 computers in 10 years? I see your need for AppleCare?

5. spmiz12 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wow... I thought Mac quality was pretty good, you had that many problems to keep changing computers??

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple Computers are excellent ... chances are you will not ever use your Apple Care.

Apple Care is just another Apple product they sell and make money from. It is not something that is needed by the masses ... just something they sell to the masses.

Every Electronic company pushes warranties because they make Big money from them. Confirms my reason to wait a year before you just throw money at Apple.
    :cool:

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Some people change out computers for other reasons than if they break down. While I can't afford it, a decent number of people have a tendency to sell their old computer at about a year and purchase a new one (don't really see the purpose of AppleCare in that case). In this person's case, I'd suspect it's more along the lines of simply having more than one at a time (either for other family members or for various purposes).

That said, I have had now 3 Apple laptops in the last 4 years, having only bought one during that time because I had mine replaced twice by Apple. It does happen, it's just fortunately rare overall.

jW

8. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

I will always get Apple Care, countless times do I see people after 1 year of using a mac product run into a small problem that they take to the apple store to fix and end up paying up the wazoo, when they could have paid a smaller sum for the warranty and had it fixed under the warranty.

I personally bought one for my 2006 core duo macbook, and 4 years later they replaced it with a new 13" pro. (long story) and apple care played a big part of it.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I bought AppleCare for my first iBook, but after that I didn't feel it was worth the money. I've purchased 5 Macs in 5 years and none have ever needed service of any kind. If you estimate AppleCare at $ 300 per machine, then I've saved $1500, which would buy me a replacement for any of the machines.

10. Fromtheblueline macrumors newbie

What is covered

Does anyone know if apple care covers the laptop running poorly? i.e. that stupid rainbow wheel is always popping up. I have had frequent forced quits - with the power button.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

When I first bought my Mac, I was like "ehh, I probably won't need this even when my standard warranty dies" but after seeing some threads, with people buying very expensive computers and then not having them turn on after a year shook me up. I'd hate for that to happen to me. Also, I needed to get my MacBook Pro serviced and that would have costed me about $1100 (Yeah, I know ... the new computer is worth $1200; silly Apple). They ended up giving me a new MacBook Pro too, so it certainly is worth it for me. It doesn't matter to me if I buy it now or later because I'll get phone support which may come in handy because my nearest Apple Store is relatively far.

12. simsaladimbamba

That depends on the source of the problems. If it is hardware related, they will help you. If it is software related, they might propose a Clean Install of Mac OS X.

As this is a help forum, you could ask for help about solving your issues here (in this thread or a dedicated one or one already existing with the same problems, of which there are plenty of threads).

13. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL I've had more than 15 computers in the last 2 years. Most of them I still have, and use for one function or another.