AppleCare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WRIGHTRACING, Dec 6, 2010.

1. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

Did a search and found nothing...So I figured I would ask. Any members know what all this covers? What is the price? Is it worth the money spent?

Thanks for any info...

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think it generally covers any hardware/software failure that may occur on your phone. Doesn't cover water damage last I remembered

Think it's $60-$70?

Depends. If you're a clutz then it might be a good idea. If you want some peace of mind insurance then go for it.

I'm pretty careful with my phone and have never damaged it in any way (knock on wood) so I never thought of purchasing it for my phone. I do have it for my MacBookPro since I'll have this way longer than I will my iPhone 4.

Matter of personal preference really but I'd say pass on it.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's only a warranty extension. It doesn't cover any accidental damage. Many credit cards give double warranty anyway. I say pass....

4. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

So what is the insurance that AT&T or Apple sells when you buy the i4? What does it cost a month and what does it cover? I can't think of the name of it then, and that is what I was referring too.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Neither AT&T or Apple offer insurance for the iPhone. They offer it for other phones but not the iPhone. Only Applecare..... :cool:

6. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

WOW, I thought I heard they offered some kind of coverage for like $12.00 a month. Someone told me BestBuy had some extended warranty for $15.00 a month as well. Guess I need to study up if I plan to buy one tomorrow...LOL

I have been very careful with the 3G I have and sold just a minute ago, but I also had one before it I lost. Just looking for some kind of coverage if there was some. If not, then I guess carefulness will have to prevail;)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

8. WRIGHTRACING thread starter macrumors regular

Those were some pretty terrible options. In the long run I think the App from the App store is the best option, in case you lose it, or it gets stolen. But for the money, it seems a bit high. $144/year plus ded. is around $300. Guess that's still better than $600 for a new one, but if I never use it then I'm out an extra $288. Guess I have some decisions to make.:eek:

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Look into SquareTrade if you want more coverage. Personally I go with AppleCare but it's not for everyone.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    It's a tough one and options are kinda expensive.

11. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Apple also has a service called "Advance Replacement Service" where if your phone needs warranty work, for $29, Apple will ship you a new/refurbed phone and when you receive it, you ship your phone back (this way you don't have to send yours in first, then wait for the replacement). If you have AppleCare, the $29 fee is waived.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/exchange/

I've used this service before and I talked to them at 3pm and had my new iPad the next day. The ARS is only available for the iPad if you have AppleCare (unlike the iPhone where you can pay a fee).

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/service/exchange/

12. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Square Trade FTW.
    Through Christmas (I think), their 2 year warranties run about $84.00 (plus tax where applicable). They have a $50.00 deductible for spills, water or accidental damage. No deductible for other electrical/battery failures and they will refund the unused portion of the warranty if you decide to cancel.

13. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I have the Asurion Mobile Protect, and while it's the more expensive plan, it definitely keeps my mind at ease knowing that if my phone is stolen, it's the only plan that will cover that.

EDIT: Plus, idk how Square Trade works, but I know that Asurion send you a new/refurbed phone FIRST before you have to send in your broken one, so the turnover time is much smaller. I feel like that is uncommon? Great, but uncommon.

14. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of one of these insurance plans for Canada? I'm interested in theft and loss coverage, I don't care about damage coverage or the unit having issues due to defect.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If your phone doesn't crack or have water damage, then Apple will replace it for free within one year. Generally, they don't go bad, so you'll know if you have a good handset or not from the beginning. If you do drop or water damage your phone, you can pay Apple $199 for a replacement.

Hopefully, you won't break it.