Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
Is it worth it for the iphone4s? What is the cost and conditions? Any limitations? I don't normally get insurance for things but it sounds like it may be worth it if it covers accidents? Your thoughts, thanks.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
not to be a bitch but that info is available on apple.com ... no?

It is.

And the OP's question has been discussed to great length in several other threads, easily available with a simple use of the Search function.

Summary: "Worth it" is a personal decision you have to make for yourself.

Costs $99, $30 more than previous AppleCare, covers same as original Applecare (no charge for those replacements), adds accidental damage coverage for two incidents with a $50 charge per. Cancellable with pro-rated refund, transferrable to new owner if you sell the phone. Doesn't cover loss/theft. See the T&C for details.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I decided it was worth it, for myself, my wife, and my mother-in-law. Just helps ease the mind in case of accidents.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
For me I did not get the applecare+. I find it that I really don't need it. Ever since iphone 3G. I have never dropped my phone before and always has been in perfect conditon. Sure who knows what may happen down the road but oh well.

It does suck that you have to get applecare+ the day you purchase your iphone 4S. If you don't then you won't get it for good. Only exception is those who pre-ordered their iphone 4S, they get it till the 14th of November.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
My wife and I are on verizon and compared to their $11 a month insurance that has a replacement cost of $199, $99 seemed like a no brainer. The only coverage we would lose by not using verizon's rip off service is if we lose the phone. We haven't lost a phone yet, but we've broken a few....

fuxl

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
VA
For me I did not get the applecare+. I find it that I really don't need it. Ever since iphone 3G. I have never dropped my phone before and always has been in perfect conditon. Sure who knows what may happen down the road but oh well.

It does suck that you have to get applecare+ the day you purchase your iphone 4S. If you don't then you won't get it for good. Only exception is those who pre-ordered their iphone 4S, they get it till the 14th of November.

That's not true.
From the apple site:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:
"Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)"

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
That's not true.
From the apple site:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

Note: Through November 14, AppleCare+ can be purchased by customers who:
"Purchased an iPhone (any model) on or after October 14, 2011 (proof of purchase date may be required)"

Nope, I talked to the apple store people and it is confirmed that only those who pre-ordered on the 7th of october gets till nov. 14. Otherwise if you purchased your iphone today and didn't get applecare+ you won't get it for good. I'm sorry to say but what I have said is true.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The Apple store has nothing to do with it. You can purchase over the phone as above. :apple:

TheiPhoneChick

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I didn't pre-order mine, I ordered it Oct 24th through apple.com and didn't add the applecare during checkout. I called Sprint yesterday and the tech asked if I had applecare and I told him no, and he added it for me. The charge will show up on my next bill. I verified and it is there and I am covered!

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Nope, I talked to the apple store people and it is confirmed that only those who pre-ordered on the 7th of october gets till nov. 14. Otherwise if you purchased your iphone today and didn't get applecare+ you won't get it for good. I'm sorry to say but what I have said is true.
I believe they gave you bad information. I walked into AT&T and bought my 4S on launch day - I did not pre-order.

I successfully signed up for AppleCare+ through Apple's 800 number about 10 days ago.

LSK6453

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
I had an accident with my new iphone this past weekend and will be paying $50 today to get a replacement. It got pretty messed up when I fell and it fell with me :(

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI

This is not a true statement. I just called Apple a phone purchased October 15th can still get Applecare+ as long as it is purchased by Nov 14th. That is factual as it was done today by my father.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
If you have kids it's worth it. I have two little ones and they can find and drop your electronics before you notice. It's best to be prepared!

gaps

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Gilbert, AZ
thanks to everyone for their replies, even the bitchy ones. i know i could have searched the forums or apple.com but i like up to the date info and opinions, which is what most provided with their replies, thanks.

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
This is not a true statement. I just called Apple a phone purchased October 15th can still get Applecare+ as long as it is purchased by Nov 14th. That is factual as it was done today by my father.

2nd this...

I ordered my 4S on the 7th Nov using the Apple Store App, it did not give me the option of adding Applecare+ during the process. The phone order went through ok.
The next morning I rang Apple about adding AppleCare+ to my order, and after being transferred through three different depts, and ending up at the AppleCare dept I was told not to worry, once a purchase was made before the 14th Nov then AppleCare+ could be added.
As I do not have my new 4S serial number yet, the Apple person created a Case number for me to use when I receive my new phone, once I get the serial number then I can call back using the case number and then add on the Applecare+...
He said that they were having Cart issues with having Applecare+ selectable, and they will honor it in such cases...

To the Original Poster, yes I think it is worth it. The phone is expensive should something go wrong with it. And Apple stores are generally really good at replacing items if they are under warranty...

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
+3 ^^^ Applecare+ was not an option on October 14th, and Applecare is the only source to purchase Applecare+ for all of us that purchased iPhone 4/4S on the release date via Apple.com. None of the retail stores are selling physical Applecare+ BOXES, and they were totally unaware of the email from Apple regarding having until November 14th to purchase Applecare+ for your new iPhone 4/4S. I sent a copy of my email from Apple to the store manager at my local Apple Store and he admitted that he had never seen the email and that they have never and probably will never get physical boxes of Applecare+ like they do with other Apple products...:eek:

And YES, it's worth all $99 & $49 per incident (2) max...(My friend dropped his 64GB iPhone 4S and shattered the screen last week, Applecare+ = $49 and a new iPhone 4S 64GB)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Applecare+ was not an option on October 14th, and Applecare is the only source to purchase Applecare+ for all of us that purchased iPhone 4/4S on the release date via Apple.com.

FWIW, I ordered Applecare+ with my Oct 7th Apple.com 4S preorder (AT&T is my provider).

I know it didn't show up via the carrier sites, not sure if it was not available for non-AT&T orders or something, but I for one was able to include it in my preorder. I've received my paperwork from Apple, no box ever shipped.

Coley

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
CANADA
Now I'm confused. I've been offered Apple Care when I was at an apple store, months after I got my 3gs....

I thought you had a large window of time to buy it.
I haven't got my 4s delivered yet, but bought it on the 28th of Oct. Can I still get it??

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Now I'm confused. I've been offered Apple Care when I was at an apple store, months after I got my 3gs....

I haven't got my 4s delivered yet, but bought it on the 28th of Oct. Can I still get it??

Yes. 4S owners can add AppleCare+ anytime until November 14th. As long as your phone arrives before the 14th you should be fine.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle

The difference is actually AppleCare and AppleCare+, they are different.

0r30

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2010
Texas
Worth it to me

In the end its like paying $4.xx a month for the Applecare+ for the 2 years it covers. In which is the whole time you are in contract.

Sprint offers no insurance for these phones so I had to buy it.

----------

If you ordered it from Apple.com just call it in, they will add it to your purchase of your phone. This is what I did after I found out Sprint was not offering a Insurance for the 4s.

Coley

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
CANADA
Wow.... 3 people responded to my post, I guess I hijacked the thread kinda lol However...
I didn't realize there was AppleCare and AppleCare+....good to know. And all other advice/info is very helpful as well. So thank you all! :)

drporf

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
applecare+

Purchased 2 phones pre-order on launch and I was able to add applecare+ to both just now. I'm in Fla by the way, issues resolved with selling it over the phone to Fla..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.