Applecare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeyz54, Aug 1, 2008.

1. mikeyz54 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I purchased applecare with my iMac over a year ago, but I forgot to register it.

Since I bought it well within the 1 year limited warranty period, do you think apple will register it for me if I ask nicely?:D

I am at least a couple of months past the 1 year warranty at the moment.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you bought it within the first year, just call AppleCare and I'm sure they'll register it.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You'll probably have a hard time convincing them, especially since you're so far past the one-year anniversary. They'll usually be lenient if it's only a couple of days past, but several months is likely too much.

If they routinely allowed people to register their AppleCare well after the one-year window, people would just buy an AppleCare pack and wait to register it until they needed it. If they ended up not needing it, they could just resell it or apply it to another machine (of the same model of course) if necessary. But that defeats the purpose of the program and wouldn't be good for Apple's bottom line.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it's on the same receipt, probably.

If not on same receipt, most likely not.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I just called AppleCare for clarification. They said as long as the AppleCare is purchased within the first year, it doesn't matter that it wasn't registered during that time. Of course, you have to register it to activate it, and the coverage still ends 3 years from the date of purchase, not the date of registration. If you call and register it, it will be honored.

Doesn't have to be on the same receipt. You can buy AppleCare anytime within the first year from the date you buy the Mac.

6. mikeyz54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yay!
    Thanks for your answers :)
    I'll probably go to the apple store tomorrow to register it then!:D

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This couldn't be more incorrect. Applecare needs to be activated in order for it to become effective. When you purchase it has no relevance whatsoever if you do not register it on the intended machine prior to that machine's one year limited warranty expiring.

8. dinostars macrumors member

Actually, you're wrong, I'm 100% positive on this. I work at a call center and have done a countless number of Applecare registrations. If Applecare was purchased anytime before the computer's one year limited warranty expired, there will be no problems registering it - even 2.5 years past the date of purchase. HOWEVER, if the Applecare was purchased even one day after the limited warranty expired it CAN NOT be registered.

9. dinostars macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that they can't do out of warranty Applecare enrollments in store. If you call 1-800-MY-APPLE they can get that registered for you, it takes like 5-7 minutes. :)

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, I can only think of ONE way this might be true and that is if you bought the Applecare FROM Apple. Other than that, how would one prove when they purchased it? Even if they could prove it and/or bought it from Apple how do they prove what machine the coverage was purchased FOR? It is generic coverage that can be applied to any machine in the coverage class.

With this loophole you claim, anyone could purchase Applecare off of eBay and just say they bought it within the one year warranty period of the machine and forgot to register it. In my Applecare box there are clear written warnings that the coverage is not in effect until it is registered and to do so ASAP.

11. dinostars macrumors member

It's not a loophole? It's possible to find out the date of purchase using the serial number on the box. If someone claims they purchased it on a date that's different from the one shown in the system, that's when they are required to fax in or email a copy of their receipt from an Apple Store or Authorized Reseller.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I think we may be talking about different things here. Are you talking about the date of purchase of the Mac? If so, then yes I do understand how that works and of course the date of purchase is tied to the serial number or receipts are required for proof.

I am talking about claiming that the Applecare coverage was purchased while the machine it is to be applied to was still in the one year warranty but subsequently not registered until the machine was out of warranty for whatever reason.

Considering the multitude of third parties one can purchase Applecare coverage from, including eBay, it would seem like a loophole to me depending on what Apple requires in terms of proof for these instances. Especially on auctions shadier retailers could date the sales any way they like at the bidder's request.

I will take you at your word and experience that its possible though.

13. dinostars macrumors member

Sorry, I was talking about the serial number on the Applecare box being used to look up the original date of purchase. And I don't believe that eBay receipts can be used as proof of purchase, it must be from an Apple Store or authorized reseller and include all relevant contact information for that reseller.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's completely correct. If you read my post:
    Call 800-275-2273 and ask for AppleCare Agreement Administration. You could be on hold for a while, but they can take care of it in one phone call. They can't do this in a store. The store would just call the same number.

The information I posted is NOT an opinion; it came directly from AppleCare administration. The key is when the AppleCare Protection Plan is purchased, not when it is registered. As far as buying AppleCare from a source other than Apple, you'd have to call AppleCare to get the official story on how they handle that, but the OP clearly stated that they bought AppleCare WITH their iMac. I wouldn't recommend buying Macs or AppleCare from anyone other than Apple, but I know many do. If you do, it's worth making a few phone calls to make sure you're doing it right.

15. dinostars macrumors member

You don't have to speak to Agreement Administration. The first person you speak to (a Call Director) will be able to register it for you. Besides, Agreement Administration is closed on the weekends.

16. sleepdeprived macrumors newbie

ggjstudios is absolutely correct.

I just got off the phone with AppleCare and registered my plan, a plan that I bought within my year of purchase but registered afterwards.

In fact, the FAQ for AppleCare online plainly states:

"You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. . . . Registering your AppleCare Protection Plan at a later date does not extend your coverage."

So its all good if you can prove that you purchased the plan within your time limit. And a later registration does not affect your eligibility or coverage.

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

So long as you can prove the Applecare purchase date to Apple's satisfaction. Not everyone pays the inflated prices of Applecare from Apple directly. It's much cheaper to buy it 3rd party for the exact same coverage.

My strong recommendation to all is to go ahead and register your Applecare coverage as soon as you purchase it to avoid major hassles later. ;)

18. mikeyz54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies :)
    I just got off the phone with applecare, and they have registered my plan :D

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the input...interesting. The prevailing wisdom for years has been that it absolutely had to be registered by the one-year anniversary of the machine's purchase date, but evidently that is not the case.

Their terms do require that the AppleCare be purchased "within" that one-year period, so user must be sure to purchase the computer first, and then the AppleCare. That limits the situation I mentioned earlier where a person could purchase AppleCare for one machine, not activate it unless required, and then apply the AppleCare to a second machine purchased later that did require it.

But it you had, say two MacBooks purchased at about the same time, you could take a chance and just buy one AppleCare package for the two of them. Then, if only one of them ends up needing service in the years 2 or 3, you could then apply your AppleCare to the machine that needed it that time. Fascinating.

20. mikeyz54 thread starter macrumors newbie

I asked at the genius bar, and actually, you can purchase applecare before you purchase the mac :)

Also, an FYI, you can buy applecare form any country, so I'll probably be importing my next one from the US :p

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This is just not true, sorry. Your genius is an idiot. Quoting the Applecare FAQ on the Apple website (3rd question down from the top):

• Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?
    • You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.
    This time you're right. I bought (and applied) Applecare coverage for my Japan Apple Store iMac from L.A. Computer in the USA and it worked fine.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you CAN purchase AppleCare before you buy a product, such as buying a gift for someone. It just isn't tied to a product and doesn't become effective until you register it, linking it to a product. When you do, the effective date is the date you purchase the covered product, not the date you purchased AppleCare.

23. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Apple's wording is quite clear on this matter. Whether or not Apple will make an exception to accept your specific request is another matter.

I go back to the "loophole" concept above. Anyone could go out and purchase Applecare and just say they received it as a gift shortly after the purchase of their 2 and a half year old Mac.

The purchase date of the Applecare itself IS relevant and Apple's wording is not ambiguous here:

"You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period."

If they said "anytime up to the end of the one-year limited warranty period" I might be inclined to agree with you.

Again, what they are actually honoring is not my argument. I'm quoting their printed policy.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A simple phone call to AppleCare will help you understand their policy, if you're interested. Those of us who wanted the official word have made that call.

25. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

Wow, am I glad that the store "clerk" registered for me.
    Is that normal?