AppleInsider says iPod Boombox


hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
Follow-up

I posted that in a hurry. I have a hunch that Apple is up to something with AirPort. This might be a wireless set of speakers that taps into iTunes...

Previously, I had my money on a video AirPort Express that had an IR port for use with a remote: it could stram the Front Row interface from a computer.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Been looking for something like this. :D I'd like to see something go into my stereo shelf, perhaps an iTunes server like those Roku units.



Here's to the Crazy Ones
 

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
837
213
Virginia, USA
I guess this explains why Apple cracked down on the use of the "ipod" name by other peripheral makers. Still, its not that exciting, at least as written-- there are plenty of speakers and ways to get your music to your stereo.
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
rosalindavenue said:
I guess this explains why Apple cracked down on the use of the "ipod" name by other peripheral makers. Still, its not that exciting, at least as written-- there are plenty of speakers and ways to get your music to your stereo.
I agree. There's either something insanely great about this that we don't know yet, or this product is just an accesory and will be marketed as such (read "Not marketed at all")
 

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
403
33
My god Macworld Sounds Huge This year...I am overwhelmed by what to expect
 

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
1,495
0
Rockford MI
I think I may already be getting sick *cough* *cough* i think it will worsen so I cant go to school on the 10th. ;)

All these new talks are gettin me way to excited

If its in a good price range I think i will be forced to pick one up:D
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,589
31
San Francisco, CA
It doesn't sound like anything that I'd want to rush out for, but one more product for Apple to release! More fun! Yay! :D

It's good that Apple is releasing something like this though; don't need to buy 3rd party stuff anymore.
 

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
1,242
12
Sydney Australia
See i figure an Apple PVR could better be based on iPod technologies than on Mac technologies.

An Apple box running FrontRow, Dashboard widgets, safari,... and the iTMS of course.
 

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
204
0
Some_Big_Spoon said:
MOOOOOOO!!!!! Milk it, milk it, milk it! :rolleyes:
seriously. let's not alienate our 3rd party accessory makers- they're a lot of the reason iPods are so popular
 

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
8,273
4,636
Canada
You slacker, you haven't got first post...

;-)

Lacero said:
Been looking for something like this. :D I'd like to see
snip.
I'm thinking that Apple may have wanted to have the iPod market mature enough before it too starts offering more accessories of what is a gold mind?

Otherwise I'm wondering why it has taken Apple so long to enter what is a goldmine - they have some , but a limited range of accessories - the camera dock probably being the best ( imo ).
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
922 said:
I posted that in a hurry. I have a hunch that Apple is up to something with AirPort. This might be a wireless set of speakers that taps into iTunes...
This would be the perfect companion for the rumored 'media' Mini, or any Mac/PC with iTunes.

I'd love something like this for my bedroom. I want something simple and easy that can access my iTunes library on my Mini in the living room. It should have a simple color display like the video ipod. It should have a click wheel for navigation and have an IR port built-in so you can use it with the Apple Remote. And it should have a simple alarm function.
 

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
915
0
Rampaging Tokyo
Should be a good show this year....whatever they release...

I'll be in Peru during the event, but will be exciting to come home to some interesting new releases.
 

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
1,709
0
d.perel said:
seriously. let's not alienate our 3rd party accessory makers- they're a lot of the reason iPods are so popular
This isn't an 'accessory.' It'd be a gadget in its own right, a homePod as someone has already mention.
 

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
1,950
99
Planet Zebes
I'd consider buying this if it looks great, has wireless capabilities, is small, and sounds good....though I doubt it will sound anything like the Bose setup.
 

Analog Kid

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2003
4,777
2,797
EricNau said:
It's good that Apple is releasing something like this though; don't need to buy 3rd party stuff anymore.
Not good. Kill off the 3rd party accessory makers and iPod goes back to looking like something that only Apple cares about.

Apple has been pretty careful not to tread on the accessory market and I don't think that will change unless they've got something truly unique that no one else can do-- I'd guess it requires the ability to run the DRM locally rather than just being a dock accessory.
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
Good Idea

dongmin said:
This would be the perfect companion for the rumored 'media' Mini, or any Mac/PC with iTunes.

I'd love something like this for my bedroom. I want something simple and easy that can access my iTunes library on my Mini in the living room. It should have a simple color display like the video ipod. It should have a click wheel for navigation and have an IR port built-in so you can use it with the Apple Remote. And it should have a simple alarm function.
Good idea... I think you're on to something. Sort of like an "extender" for the media mini.
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
Analog Kid said:
Not good. Kill off the 3rd party accessory makers and iPod goes back to looking like something that only Apple cares about.

Apple has been pretty careful not to tread on the accessory market and I don't think that will change unless they've got something truly unique that no one else can do-- I'd guess it requires the ability to run the DRM locally rather than just being a dock accessory.
While this COULD be a generic speaker accesory, the alternate theory is that its in fact a boombox that taps into iTunes (or, say, a Media Center Mac mini). You could carry the music on your Living Room's Mac mini around the house: completely wireless and rechargable.
 

magid

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2003
295
13
I thinking it will have some sort of storage capabilities so you can sinc it up with your comp and not have to go through the trouble of hooking your iPod to your stereo system. You will just have your homePod hooked up with wireless capabilities as well.
 

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
372
0
Jacksonville, Fl
I would like an Airport base station that will do videos and photos! How cool would that be to send video from your mac upstairs, to your airport base station downstairs to watch on your TV?:)
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
nichos said:
I would like an Airport base station that will do videos and photos! How cool would that be to send video from your mac upstairs, to your airport base station downstairs to watch on your TV?:)
I think this will happen too. And I'd love if it happened at MWSF. Unfortunetly, though, this rumor probably won't yield that. This might be a companion to that - a set of speakers for carrying your music around your house.

EDIT: Oh, and how cool would it be to put the Front Row interface on your TV and control it with a remote?
 

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
2,211
0
Chi-il
Transferring photos & video wirelessly on two Tivos is painfully slow - not sure how Apple could improve it.

If Apple came out with a whoop-a$$ boombox that synced wirelessly and sounded great I'd think about picking one up.