Applenberry scammed people with new Gevey cards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thierry ba, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

2. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

sure it relied on the SAM method but was on a hardware chip...its not a scam especially if they are willing to refund ALL monies including shipping etc.

no scam here folks, move along

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I don't see how this is a scam if they say on their website from the link you posted that they will refund people.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

agreed scammers take the money and run. they don't say here take it back. :rolleyes:

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The fact that you are willing to refund a person doesn't mean you are running a scam. Plenty of scams are designed in hopes that those that don't know better won't know to ask for a refund, thus allowing you to pocket the money. Not saying this IS a scam, but the fact that they are refunding those who request it doesn't all of the sudden make the situation not shady.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you are dumb enough to not ask for a refund, you deserve to be scammed.

7. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

considering parties that have not have been shipped items will automatically be refunded shows how much of a scam this is NOT. Likewise if you get a product and it doesn't work I'm sure you would complain to the seller and then see you will be fully refunded.

They used an exploit that was closed and they are going about this in the correct manner...scam they did not.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The reason this is being called a scam is because an exploit, which is free to the public, was being sold (allbeit in a different form) back to the public. Those that work hard to provide something for free to the community don't appreciate their work being sold off for profit, especially when they see none of it.

I am not trying to argue this is a scam, but I don;t see it as 100% legit myself. I am guessing that is what the OP was going for.

9. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

last I checked if you had a 4s running 5.1 you could not unlock, with the gevey using the SAM exploit you could...they took the exploit and re-engineered it to work on a hardware chip...wouldn't call that a scam.

now if they charged 50bux for an email of instructions or the like to jailbreak, instal cydia and add the SAM repo etc then yes I would call that a scam

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Without the SAM exploit there would be no unlock, which is why I see a problem with it. They are profitting off of the work of another party. The fact that they added their own efforts to getting it to work on iOS 5.1 is irrelevant. I can only assume the OP felt the same way. Our opinions obviously differ. This is fine. :)

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

either way the fact that they are offering to refund money and cancel orders removes the scam factor. ;) Try to get a refund from some of our overseas scammers saying you have money waiting after a small processing fee etc.

12. Thierry ba, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

Thierry ba thread starter macrumors 6502a

This.

What if Apple have not pached this exploit Applenberry would still selling their cards claiming unlock is their own work and they wouldn't even mention hacker who's behind all this. (statement 1)

Would they offer refund if someone discovered that they are selling other persons work while the unlock was still working? I don't think so.

Thats clear scam to me.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Appleberry is a supplier not the manufacture.

14. d0vr macrumors 6502a

And if you are ignorant enough to believe that, you deserve to be stoned.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Says a person who was profiting by providing "questionable" services like unlimited data plans and FAN discounts on ebay:D lol
    The irony....

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Hey, I don't find it questionable when that is what reps at ATT tell you to do. I wasn't taking anyone else's work and selling it as my own either. In fact, I helped people do it themselves. Those that didn't want to drop the money on buying an iPhone 2G came to me. Yeah... don't see the irony.

Also, never sold FAN discounts on eBay... AND I wasn't making a dime off of FAN discounts. That was a friend of mine. Only reason I stopped that is because people were getting butthurt about the time it took him to process the discounts.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    And giving people FAN discounts on their bill every month that didnt work at the particular company is not questionable or a scam either? Or selling a workaround that you can do with an iphone 2G for $30-40 is not a scam either.
    All Im saying is dont be so quick to judge. A company is selling a product, if its worthless to you dont buy it. Others might not be as tech savy as to do the SAM hack themselves and prefer to just pop in a sim adapter and be done with it. Same thing you were doing providing a service for those that couldnt do the work on the 2G themselves. And then the particular company refunds all orders and you're still trying to label them as a scam?
    Look in the mirror first...

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The FAN discount was questionable, I never denied that. I also didn't make money on it. If this company was providing their service free, wonderful. I effectively was. Also, for the record, I am merely stating that I can see where the OP is coming from.

At the time I was doing unlimited data, it cost WAY more than $30 to pick up a used 2G. Try $100-$150. On top of that you needed sims. Anyone that asked me how to do it I happily provided the info, even over ebay. In fact, I had people texting me for walk-throughs in the middle of the night, which I finally had to stop offering. The kicker is, I never used anyone else's homebrew software and called it my own, EVER.

I think maybe someone else needs to look in the mirror as well, when talking about being quick to judge. :rolleyes:

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You say that it was your "friend" selling the FAN discounts but whatever.
    I didnt judge you for what you did, just the way you jumped in trying to judge others. Obviously you provided a service to some that was well worth the money and many were willing to pay for it. Including me, I bought 2 unlimited AT&T data plans on ebay not from you though.
    Was just saying dont be so quick to throw stones when in reality you were doing a similar thing in the past;)

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Listen, why would I lie about FAN discounts? I have never worked for ATT, never plan to. I am in the Veterinary medical field. You can choose to believe it, or you can not. I am not the type of person to lie, especially on a forum. Take it or leave it.

My point was that I wasn't profiting off of similar things, in my opinion of course. There was a loophole, I used it. I wasn't taking someone else's code and effectively selling it as my own.

Furthermore, I challenge anyone to point out where I was labeling anyone here. I went as far as to say that I am NOT saying this is a scam, just that it is questionable. Perhaps the word scam is being used improperly, if anything. I am simply saying that I think I know where the OP was coming from.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Taking some freeware code, then creating and manufacturing the hardware sim adapter and selling it to whoever who wanted to purchase the turbo sim unlock. Were they supposed to give the chips, design and all work behind it for free? I dont see it as a scam and for them to refund people on top and still to be called out as scammers? They're a well known reputable company.
    But lets agree to disagree, you or your "friends" sales on ebay were legit and Applenberry are scammers then....

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You are still confused.

First, I am saying they should have gotten permission from whoever coded the SAM unlock to use it. Perhaps they did. I don't know that. Do you?

Second, I haven't labeled anyone as a scammer, it would be nice if you didn't keep claiming I did so.

Third, I did the unlim data. This was on eBay. My friend, who doesn't have a paypal account, and frankly didn't want to be tracked, did the FAN discounts completely off of eBay. To rephrase that, we never sold, listed, etc. a single FAN discount over eBay. I was personally doing it as a favor the community, since people had asked for it. Being that I made nothing on it, and I got a 10+ impatient texts a day, I decided to stop doing that as well, since I was gaining nothing but frustration.

Lastly, and this is a repetition of what I have said in my previous posts (as well as this one, but you seem to be missing it), I have not labeled this company as a scam.

I do hope that clears things up for you.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You were saying above that just because they're giving refunds it doesnt mean they're not shady or whatever and just pointing fingers like you know if they have permission for the use or not or if they can sell a product (sim adapter) and charge for it.
    And according to you it was a "friend" and you were doing all the referals and advertising for free but whatever. That doesnt concern me what you did or didnt do in the past.
    Like I mentioned above some people will pay for the convinience or because they're not tech savy to do the work themselves. Even though it can be done free, they rather pay someone to do it and not mess with any hacks or stuff they dont understand.
    I get plenty of people coming to me to fix their computers and laptops and yes I charge them and I use freeware programs like antivirus removal tools and malware removal tools that are free.
    Im supposed to sit there and waste hours of my time and resources but not charge them for fixing their computer because they could do it themselves for free?
    Same idea here. The software is free for anyone, the sim adapters and all work behind manufacturing that device is NOT.
    Have a good day.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Someone said that the company was doing refunds. I pointed out that just because a company is offering refunds now, that doesn't automatically mean they are not a scam. Frankly, that single fact alone DOES NOT absolve someone from being a scammer. I even gave an example of scams that exist solely based on the hopes that a certain percentage of people don't collect a refund. I also said multiple times that I am not labeling them as a scam. There is literally nothing more that I could have done there. You state I labeled them as scammers. Simply put, that is incorrect. There is nothing else left to say here.

25. tonie macrumors 6502

Did you find that loophole yourself? Did you give credit to where it was due? You made money on something you didn't find yourself so do you consider that a scam?