Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
An anonymous submission notes the existance of the domain name AppleOnline.com - which is owned by Apple.

It appears the domain was owned by a 3rd party up until at least April 02 2001. It's unclear when Apple acquired this domain name.

The same submission claims that AOL Beta 9 uses Quicktime. (ed note: I'm not aware of the signficance of this if there is any at all)

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Of course, if iTunes is going to be the default jukebox for AOL, then Quicktime needs to be the default media player since iTunes is dependant on Quicktime.

stefman

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
AppleOnline.com

I think that for AppleOnline.com is just Apple making sure there are no websites that can be bad for them (i.e. microsuck.com or something).

bigjohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2000
Monrovia, CA
a stretch... but i'm getting known for stretches

Ok, so I glossed over this, but then I thought - America Online (AOL), Apple Online (AOL). AOL-TW is looking to maybe spin-off it's AOL segment from itself (possibly with a tracking stock or something). Maybe Apple could buy America Online (the ISP). Microsoft has MSN... I mean really, what better way to fully indoctrinate millions of people at one time into the ways of OS X, iTunes, iTunes Music Service then to purchase the ISP accounts of millions of people. And - Apple has all that extra cash just laying around waiting to get spent. AOL-TW would love to fully concentrate on it's entertainment concerns since the Internet apparently isn't the cash cow as once thought. It's a stretch, but hey I'm a dreamer...

theFly

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2003
A Window Sill in Cupertino
Having played with AOL 9 Beta, it appears that AOL is looking to give their users a choice between media players, QT or Real. The specific beta tests they have provide are testing music videos in both formats.

Which is kinda odd in a way, does the average AOL user really care which format is used, as long as it gets the job done. More likely they're developing support for both fomats for greater flexibility.

Of course, AOL may be looking to transition to QT and is making sure that it works the same way Real currently does without any flaws.

And then there was the speculation in Fortune that AOL is looking at integrating the iTunes Music Store. If this is the case, then AOL users would need QT, since it would be needed to play the AAC files.

theFly
http://www.flyonthemac.com
Rumors You Can Bet On

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Re: a stretch... but i'm getting known for stretches

Originally posted by bigjohn
Ok, so I glossed over this, but then I thought - America Online (AOL), Apple Online (AOL). AOL-TW is looking to maybe spin-off it's AOL segment from itself (possibly with a tracking stock or something). Maybe Apple could buy America Online (the ISP). Microsoft has MSN... I mean really, what better way to fully indoctrinate millions of people at one time into the ways of OS X, iTunes, iTunes Music Service then to purchase the ISP accounts of millions of people. And - Apple has all that extra cash just laying around waiting to get spent. AOL-TW would love to fully concentrate on it's entertainment concerns since the Internet apparently isn't the cash cow as once thought. It's a stretch, but hey I'm a dreamer...

Then AOL wouldn't be AOL. I don't see that happening.

Niknar

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Scotland
It kind of sounds like a ISP name.

Well there has been alot of AOL and Apple cooperation but still AOL hasn't made a good version of AOL.app for the Mac.

Could it be that Apple will develop a new version of AOL.app for Apple Computers and in return AOL makes Apple software at the center of its PC app.

It might be cheaper for AOL and who better to make the app for Apple than Apple.

The truth is this could be anything.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
update:

So, apparently AppleOnline was a UK ISP that was forced to change it's name in 2001 due to Apple being concerened about confusion.

Don't know if that means Apple acquired the name then.

arn

Jimmni

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
iTMS?

Maybe Apple made sure to get the domain before they'd decided to use the name iTunes Music Store.

Apple selling music online => AppleOnline

The name just being considered might have been enough to get Apple to make sure they owned it. It's a useful domain to have, anyway.

Just a thought.

- Jimmni :)

joelc

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2003
CA
Re: iTMS?

Originally posted by Jimmni
Maybe Apple made sure to get the domain before they'd decided to use the name iTunes Music Store.

Apple selling music online => AppleOnline

The name just being considered might have been enough to get Apple to make sure they owned it. It's a useful domain to have, anyway.

Just a thought.

- Jimmni :)

The link does lead to the iTunes Music Store, after all.

I think I would like to see an Apple ISP, but I don't see that making good business sense - just like buying Universal did not make good business sense. That's not Apple's specialty. Microsoft had a much wider base for MSN (before it was available for mac) and much more cash with which to brainwash people into signing up. They can do anything they want. Apple does indeed have a large cash reserve, but they shouldn't waste it. It saved them back in the dark ages of the mid-late 90's. There are no guarantees of success for something like this. What reason would anyone have to switch to a brand new untested ISP if that company's main focus is a completely different computing platform? Selling internet to mac users isn't going to make apple any money.

I don't want to see them buy AOL -- that's like buying a used car that someone is selling because it is on fire -- but an already huge existing base of windows users to reach would be their best shot at coming out of this ahead. I just wonder how much AOL users will appreciate seeing Apple ads left and right. I personally don't find their ads very convincing, but rather extremely repetitive and not always to the point.

elo

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2003
There's nothing to this. As someone else pointed out, Apple managed to wrestle this name away from a third party in order to avoid confusion. Buying the name is cheap and avoids legal issues in the future.

Apple will not waste its time on an online service provider. No one has any trouble getting on the internet and service providers compete on price and availability, neither of which favors Apple.

elo

EponymousCow

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Re: Re: eworld.com

Originally posted by Freg3000
It's amazing how many URLs lead to the Apple homepage. Some make sense, like http://www.imac.com, but others simply don't.....
:)

Well, eWorld was the name of Apple's long defunct online service back in the mid nineties. On the other hand, I don't know of any explanation for why mammals.org points at Apple's website. I think once Apple registers a domain, they don't give it up.

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
Aol is changing over all the audio/video over to quicktime from realone. I am a mac beta tester for aol and in a chat about it the with the head beta tester at aol, he said they will be changing everything over to quicktime over the comeing months. He kinda hinted at it to help the mac version get full broadband extras that at this time are not available.

-neal

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
ah... eworld, what memories that brings. i doubt that apple would start an isp - it's too much effort for too little payoff. but then again, apple has recently been attacking ms on all fronts - buying up companies, shedding IE, porting itunes to windows, etc. as to the apple/aol thing, way way back, before eworld, i believe the company that is now aol had a service called "Apple Online", or something very similar. this was before aol. perhaps some mac veteran who has been a geek longer than i have has some more info on this.

mproud

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Apple, AOL Time Warner Merge...

* only to rename/rebrand AOL as Apple OnLine!

What else?

* Apple sues AOL for name change, in the sum of $400 billion. Apple claims AOL was use for a small venture Apple eventually declined to produce.

* Apple makes their own Internet access, to compete against MSN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.