Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
One would think the fact that no Brazil airfare was charged to card would have kicked out a $400 charge made in Brazil in Brazilian dollars.

I don't think the above would have made any difference because some people use different reward cards for different categories to maximize rewards. I have a total of three cash back cards that I use in different places as I get more cash backs that way.

----------

While I agree for the most part, the card was SWIPED and still declined. Not only that, this seems to happen EVERY time I go to the supermarket... happens at Trader Joes too for some reason. Yet, when there was actual fraud on my account to the tune of $4k, they let that bad boy through without question until I discovered it.

I'd say something is seriously wrong with either your account or Chase if you're getting fraud alerts every time you go to the supermarket or Trader Joes.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I'd say something is seriously wrong with either your account or Chase if you're getting fraud alerts every time you go to the supermarket or Trader Joes.

There is nothing wrong with my account... I call each time and they give me some BS reason why running the card as credit gets declined but as ATM it works. I don't market that often (that is what the wife is for) but when I do, I shouldn't have my payments suspected as fraud. Imagine if I didn't have my wallet? That would have sucked.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Does the total dollar amount make any difference? I've only made small purchases without issues.

Funny thing is that both times I used ApplePay at Wholefoods, it was super crowded and the person behind me got upset because they thought I was texting. The first time I pulled out my phone the guy behind me groaned loudly, "C'mon man!"

On the second occasion the lady behind me started aggressively saying, "Excuse me! Excuse me!" I didn't say a word. Just grabbed my receipt, thanked the cashier and kept going.

I dunno why but that totally sounds like the kinda people that shop at whole foods. XD

Anyway nikh, cards do randomly have issues processing. It's annoying, but the best thing to do in that case is try another payment method, and if you don't have one, then either get cash at the ATM or call the bank. That's.. really about all you can do :( It's really not that big a deal though. It's not like they think you're broke, the cashier probably won't even remember.

The best/worst I've done is when I had 2 accounts ,and forgot to transfer into my main account before shopping, and it was slow enough that I was able to just do the transfer on my phone while at the register. Then I ran it again and the transaction went through. XD Both times the cashier thought it was super cool :)

Most of the store POS systems have the ability to set a transaction aside though.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I moved my checking away from Chase because of stuff like that. Their fraud algorithm is wacky.

Chase does have a screwed up fraud algorithm. We always have issues traveling.

Never have those with AMEX, Discover, our our credit union.

cmdrdredd

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
While I agree for the most part, the card was SWIPED and still declined. Not only that, this seems to happen EVERY time I go to the supermarket... happens at Trader Joes too for some reason. Yet, when there was actual fraud on my account to the tune of $4k, they let that bad boy through without question until I discovered it.

Banks seem to have different scenarios as to when a fraud alert is tripped. Usually, the most insecure purchases are online where no physical card can be verified. This is sort of defcon 5. Transactions where the card is present usually have a higher threshold before fraud is tripped. Apple Pay should be at the very TOP of this list since it would in fact be the hardest to break/crack.

You're lucky. I had a $30,000 transaction posted to my Citibank account and I had to call them to call them out on fraud.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
There is nothing wrong with my account... I call each time and they give me some BS reason why running the card as credit gets declined but as ATM it works. I don't market that often (that is what the wife is for) but when I do, I shouldn't have my payments suspected as fraud. Imagine if I didn't have my wallet? That would have sucked.

Many people have Chase as their debit cards and it's most certainly not normal to have a fraud alert triggered every time you go to the market. I'd contact a manager and escalate the issue to resolve it for good (or else change banks). You're barking up the wrong tree if you think Apple Pay should circumvent the peculiar issue you're having.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Lol I wish I had an account where $4,000 and $30,000 transactions would even get accepted fraud or not. I don't have any credit cards. Just my debit card...and most months it at least gets decline once for insufficient funds. And you guys are complaining about these larger translations going through or not? These aren't even 1st world problems, these are rich people problems.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Lol I wish I had an account where $4,000 and $30,000 transactions would even get accepted fraud or not. I don't have any credit cards. Just my debit card...and most months it at least gets decline once for insufficient funds. And you guys are complaining about these larger translations going through or not? These aren't even 1st world problems, these are rich people problems.

Says the person with the brand new $600 - $1K smartphone? If you're having problems like NSF every month it may be time to evaluate priorities.

Chase declined a $1K purchase (not unusual) of mine and had the clerk call in for approval. After the clerk waited almost 10 minutes on hold I pulled out another card and it went right through. If they do that again I will simply close that account. They need me much more than I need them. AmEx is also much better at detecting and shutting down fraudulent transactions. They required nothing from me after the recent retail security breaches while I had to submit feedback to Chase about which transactions were fraudulent after they had already posted to my account.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Chase declined a $1K purchase (not unusual) of mine and had the clerk call in for approval. After the clerk waited almost 10 minutes on hold I pulled out another card and it went right through. If they do that again I will simply close that account. They need me much more than I need them. AmEx is also much better at detecting and shutting down fraudulent transactions. They required nothing from me after the recent retail security breaches while I had to submit feedback to Chase about which transactions were fraudulent after they had already posted to my account.

For big ticket purchases especially electronics, you should use an Amex card anyway to reap the extended warranty and 90-day accidental damage/theft coverages, even if you purchase AppleCare+ with an iPhone (in which case you get 4 years of warranty coverage). It amazes me how many people insist on using their debit cards and lose out on the various benefits at no cost to them particularly for big ticket purchases. Just pay off the Amex and not carry a balance.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
For big ticket purchases especially electronics, you should use an Amex card anyway to reap the extended warranty and 90-day accidental damage/theft coverages, even if you purchase AppleCare+ with an iPhone (in which case you get 4 years of warranty coverage). It amazes me how many people insist on using their debit cards and lose out on the various benefits at no cost to them particularly for big ticket purchases. Just pay off the Amex and not carry a balance.

It amazes me that some people don't understand that not everyone wants to use a credit card.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...

I am talking about my DEBIT card, just like the one you use...

----------

It amazes me that some people don't understand that not everyone wants to use a credit card.

The flip side: It amazes me that some people don't understand the benefits of using a credit card.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The flip side: It amazes me that some people don't understand the benefits of using a credit card.

This. I was talking about people who already have credit cards but choose to (or rather, mindlessly) use their debit cards anyway for big ticket purchases and lose out on the added, no-cost benefits, which would have most certainly helped them in the event of theft or accidental damage in the first three months or for warranty defects one full year after the official warranty expires.

cmdrdredd

macrumors member
May 9, 2007

Just FYI that was over 3x the limit on that card. Not a rich person problem, it was an inside job because how can a transaction be pushed through on an account that doesn't even have that type of credit line otherwise?

bronzini

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I don't think the above would have made any difference because some people use different reward cards for different categories to maximize rewards. I have a total of three cash back cards that I use in different places as I get more cash backs that way.

It was a CORPORATE CARD that I can only use for CITIBANK travel as I work for them. I won't get reimbursed for using another card, nor should I use the CORPORATE CARD for non-corporate expenses. As a result, I do expect them to question as a flag a U.S. based employee, who has made no airfare purchases, but makes a purchase in a foreign country.

A friend used their AMEX at Walmart and was declined due to suspected fraud. No, person doesn't normally shop there.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It was a CORPORATE CARD that I can only use for CITIBANK travel as I work for them. I won't get reimbursed for using another card, nor should I use the CORPORATE CARD for non-corporate expenses. As a result, I do expect them to question as a flag a U.S. based employee, who has made no airfare purchases, but makes a purchase in a foreign country.

I wouldn't expect the fraud detection algorithm to be any different between corporate and non-corporate cards.

A friend used their AMEX at Walmart and was declined due to suspected fraud. No, person doesn't normally shop there.

You're not making yourself clear. It was declined because the person doesn't normally shop there or "No person doesn't normally shop there." I bet you my Amex would go through even though I avoid Walmart like the plaque and wouldn't be surprised if it was actually the result of an incompetent clerk who screwed up the transaction. My wife's Amex card was once declined at Office Depot because she ordered something over the phone with a rep who was stupid.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
If Apple Pay is the most secure form a payment on the planet ATM, wouldn't it be nice if your bank didn't decline that payment? If the banks can't tell the difference between an NFC payment and a swiped card payment then Apple Pay is essentially useless.

Sorry but the most secure payment on the planet is cash and always will be. Physical cash.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I got to love these forums. So a fraud mechanism has been triggered by your bank and somehow this is related to Apple Pay. Why not go on a banking forum, or shout at the stars and see how they move. Or better take your business elsewhere if you really don't like them.

I really wonder how some people manage to breath by themselves.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If Apple Pay is the most secure form a payment on the planet ATM, wouldn't it be nice if your bank didn't decline that payment? If the banks can't tell the difference between an NFC payment and a swiped card payment then Apple Pay is essentially useless.

In the end the banks could care less about your Apple Pay. They have software that kicks out transactions for "their" reasons no matter how unfair you think it is!

The banks world does not revolve around Apple Pay.:rolleyes:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Exactly. For any major purchase I use Amex. The fraud risk is significantly lower and less frustrating when it's done on a credit card rather than a debit card which directly accesses your actual funds. Not to mention all the rewards points that rack up from buying things with Amex. Their rewards store is unmatched by other cards as well.

----------

If you're getting declines for insufficient funds each month then you have a money management problem and not a poor person problem. You don't have to be rich to have 5 figures of available credit, just good at managing your money and a job.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
You've apparently never gotten counterfeit bills...fake cash...or been stuck up...stolen cash.

No I have never had counterfeit bills which is extremely rare. Nor have I ever been held a gunpoint. Have you? I've not known anyone whose ever been held at gunpoint either.

And if you are held at gunpoint I bet they take your whole wallet which will have your cards in it as well as your phone.

My brother is a cop and told me stolen cell phones account for over 80 percent of thefts in Sacramento.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.