Apple's $1,199 Blackmagic eGPU Pro Now Available for Purchase, Delivers Mid-January

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's new Blackmagic eGPU Pro, first introduced alongside the Mac mini and MacBook Air in late October, can now be purchased from the online Apple Store.

Orders placed today for the $1,199 new eGPU are set to be delivered from January 15 to January 23. It's not known how much stock Apple has available, so those delivery times could slip after the first orders are placed.

[​IMG]

The Blackmagic eGPU Pro features a Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics processor with 8GB HBM2 memory, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, an HDMI 2.0 port, a DisplayPort 1.4 port, and 85W of power delivery, enough to power the 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Like the prior non-Pro Blackmagic eGPU, the new version features an all-in-one aluminum enclosure. All of Apple's Thunderbolt 3-enabled Macs, including the Mac mini, the MacBook Air, and the MacBook Pro, work with the Blackmagic eGPU Pro.

When the eGPU was announced, Apple originally said it would be released in late November, but Apple later updated the product page to note that it wouldn't be released until December. Apple hit the December deadline, but deliveries won't begin until 2019.

Article Link: Apple's $1,199 Blackmagic eGPU Pro Now Available for Purchase, Delivers Mid-January

2. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Vega 56 for the price of an already overpriced RTX 2080 TI!

3. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

What a great deal! I’m so happy that the MBP is available without discreet graphics so I can justify external graphics.

4. teeoh717 macrumors newbie

Only an $800 premium on top of the card by itself. That's... neat? The reasons to switch over to PCs for creative content production keep piling up.

5. Pakaku macrumors 68010

Pakaku

If I didn't know this was an eGPU, you could have told me this was an entire PC and I wouldn't question it

6. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

7. jjhny, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018

jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

It is at least something for pros. Luckily BlackMagic are hardware geniuses.

But why am I still running 2010 Mac Pros just so that we can use nVidia cards is beyond crazy. Apple just seems lost when it comes to the people who make content - it is as if they are fighting against us.

The rotting, festering ecosystem that is Apple.

And no Tim, we can't run a render farm on an Apple Watch or a HomePod.

We can, of course, use a sad emoji to express how we feel you are treating Pros. :(

8. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

Those who need powerful GPUs have left for PC years ago. It's too little too late for Apple here. But at least it comes at an impressive premium price.

9. Frign macrumors member

I hate to be that guy, but this thing is heavily overpriced. It's best to wait a bit more and wait for a DIY solution, which might not look that "pretty" (to me it looks like a US-fridge) but comes in way cheaper and justifies this whole eGPU thing.

As Steve Jobs analyzed correctly on why Apple failed in the 90's (they went for profit rather than market share), they could really win the game if they offered an affordable Apple-branded eGPU-case. Instead they are selling bent iPads and unrepairable computers for a premium, and it will bite them. I'd love to be optimistic about this, but this is the reality right now.

10. cube macrumors Pentium

11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

12. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

Unless you love being ripped off, don’t buy this. It’s an absolute joke and just shows how little Apple care about its customers.

13. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Very pricey but great solutions if you want silent eGPU with TB3 out for Thunderbolt displays

14. pallymore macrumors regular

pallymore

You can build a PC with the same GPU (or better) inside for less money.

15. mgmacius macrumors member

Oh, why I’m not even surprised? External gpu three times the cards price? But it’s slim and quiet... as if I cared for either of them. Oh well, just ordered my 27” iMac. Might be the very last Apple product...

16. cppguy macrumors 6502

Just get an Akitio Node Pro and a Vega 64. Faster, and under $800.

17. Joniz macrumors member

Great! This and my new Mac Mini, I now have my perfect budget Mac!

18. otisblack macrumors member

No clue why anyone would want this. Buy a Sonnet box and a Vega 64 for $800. The Blackmagic only includes a Vega 56 and is $1200. Lol, no thanks.

19. G4DPII macrumors regular

G4DPII

So you get to spend $1200 on top of the $800 for a mini just to have something slightly usable for rendering etc?

That enclosure isn't worth $800 no matter what planet you live on.

20. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

Yes, people here seem under the impression that Apple makes this and sets the price. That gives them the justification for their Apple rants.

21. Joniz macrumors member

Think! If Tim hadn’t increased the price of the Mac Mini by 60%, you’d be paying 2.4x the price of your Mini for this.

Now, it’s only 1.5x, so, you know, it’sa steal!

22. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

This product is not made by Apple nor does Apple set its price.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

24. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

I don't really mind peripherals like these being so extortionately overpriced. At least there are cheaper alternatives that are basically the same. It does bother me when Apple charge insane amounts for products users may actually need. Like Touch Bar MacBook Pros.

25. ruka.snow macrumors member

ruka.snow

Blackmagic must be delighted that all the cost complaints are being directed at Apple instead of them.