Apple's $1,199 Blackmagic eGPU Pro Now Available for Purchase, Delivers Mid-January

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 20, 2018.

1. LordVic macrumors 601

That too was one of the biggest drawbacks that did the Mac Pro in. the "spaghettification" of the desk.

with internal expansion, you can do a lot of expansion without changing the form factor of your device or needing additional desktop space... (Plus they also support external expansion). But with these locked down boxes, ALL expansion is external. Which means that you have to have a place to put all those external devices.

To many, this image below is a real issue with the idea that everything that's not "core" should be external.
    [​IMG]

2. Jyby macrumors 6502

yeah I agree- They already have cases that are thunderbolt accessory holders. For eGPU, Harddrives etc.
    I'm betting my money on really dense storage being so small in the future the notion of an external hard drive will be unthought of.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2018 ---
    That port extender is already build into the Mac Pro... You have tons of display, ethernet, audio, USB ports on the back of the Mac Pro. The hard drives are always going to exist for people... Who uses blueray these days... Even film makes just publish to a server or youtube etc... Professional don't burn disks unless they're full of wedding photos or something...
    We have massive fast thumb drives USB-C.. So you really don't need any of that.
    The only argument I see for external devices is outsourcing graphics and acceleration..
    But for anything other than graphics- your self contained computer should handle it just nicely.

Apple wants to reduce manufacturing materials... its obvious in their products they launch... Look at the iPad Pro, so thin you can bend it. So thin is comes from manufactures bent due to cooling etc...

The Mac Pro can is small- people can extend it with Thunderbolt if the built in 7TB of storage is insufficient (I dont know the exact storage capacities, just saying).

If you are still using old DVI then buy a new monitor with display port- or HDMI...

3. MacAlien, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018

MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Reach much? From Apple...from Apple. Not by Apple. /boggle

4. lilrush macrumors regular

Mine is a Sapphire, so far works perfectly fine.

5. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

From Apple, by Apple. No difference. It’s made by another company, it originates from that company. The matter at hand is the pricing, and the pricing of this product has nothing to do with Apple.

6. tallscot macrumors regular

tallscot

I noticed that the benchmarks of internal SS drives are significantly faster than any SS drive connected via Thunderbolt 3, especially when writing.

http://barefeats.com/hard232.html
    --- Post Merged, Jan 4, 2019 ---
    You can only get it from Apple, right? So how can an Apple exclusive have nothing to do with Apple?

7. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

That 10-30% performance drop of eGPU vs PCI-E GPU is unacceptable for the pro market, period. No excuses.

8. Jyby macrumors 6502

I'm also 100% certain they're going to make it better for everyone. But the real take away from this thread is PCI-E is a dead port for most users. It won't make sense to manufacture motherboards with PCI-E ports in the future.. When Thunderbolt takes less material and makes for smaller product sizes etc.
    I'm sure pro tech will be around- but gamer specific custom PCs are going to go away at some point.

9. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

I didn’t say the product has nothing to do with Apple. I said its pricing has nothing to do with Apple.

10. Jyby macrumors 6502

Well if its an Apple exclusive the pricing might be negotiated with Apple. The BOM might not, but certainly Apple wants a slice of the pie for doing the work and selling this product for Blackmagic. I'm sure that cost gets to the use in some form or another... Who knows right...

11. Detnator macrumors regular

Detnator

Right. It’s one thing to speculate and right, who knows? So fair comment.

The people I’m responding to are up in arms about how this is supposedly another example of Apple overpricing their products when we can’t possibly know that and it’s very likely not...

This thread has 11 pages of comments more than half of which are complaining about the price and yelling at Apple about it.

On the other hand a number of others have pointed out the unique features of this product (quiet, TB 3, etc) that do in fact add a lot of value to some customers, and that require some pretty significant engineering and cost to achieve and that’s why it costs $400 or whatever more than what one might build themselves with standard parts. It’s ridiculous to make that comparison.

It’s also ridiculous to complain about it since if you (generic you, not you specifically) don’t see the value in those specific features then you have the choice to go buy any of the cheaper options and not pay extra for the features in this you don’t want. While the existence of this product, providing those extra unique features still allows those who do want those features the ability to have them - where without this product and it’s engineering, that wouldn’t be possible for them.

12. Jyby macrumors 6502

Not only engineering effort, but licensing costs too.. Who knows what royalties they have to pay to make a product like this. I'm sure royalties exist. Also if this product is made with Aluminum then it might cost more. Aluminum is costing more and more these days. Apple controls the price well because they use it in everything... But other company might have more cost associated with manufacturing low volumes with Aluminum.

But I also would highly suspect Apple throws an easy $300 on the price of this item.

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

I guess you mean Blackmagic throws an easy $300 on it?

14. Jyby macrumors 6502

No I actually mean if Apple sells the project exclusively. Then Apple gets a share of the revenue... I would not be surprised if that were $300 per unit sold. Cost of doing business and perhaps engineering effort apple gave to black magic