Apple's 2014 Annual Report: Insight on Employee Numbers, Sales Growth, Retail Stores, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 28, 2014.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today filed its 2014 10-K annual report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, offering a look at how the company has grown over the past year. Among the interesting details included in the report:

[​IMG]

- The iTunes Store generated a total of $10.2 billion in net sales during 2014, up from $9.3 billion in 2013. Apple credits the growth to an increase in revenue from app sales, but acknowledged that digital music sales were in decline and partially offset the growth.

- Apple noted that it now has 92,600 full-time equivalent employees, up from 80,300 at the end of fiscal 2013. The majority of that growth was outside of the company's retail division, which grew by 3,400 to 46,200 full-time equivalent employees.

- Apple's store count increased by 21 during fiscal 2014, with average revenue per store increasing slightly to $50.6 million from $50.2 million in 2013. As noted during its earnings conference call last week, Apple expects to open 25 new retail stores in fiscal 2015 with most of those stores being outside of the United States. Apple is also planning to remodel five of its existing stores.

- Apple spent a total of $6.0 billion on research and development in fiscal 2014, up significantly from the $4.5 billion spent last year. That amount contributed towards the company's efforts to "develop new technologies to enhance existing products and to expand the range of its product offerings." As noted by the Financial Times, Apple's $6.0 billion investment is the highest level relative to revenues since 2007, which is the year that the iPhone was released.

- Real estate holdings increased slightly, with Apple now owning or leasing 19.7 million square feet of building space, up from 19.1 million square feet at the end of 2013. Apple says that most of the building space is in the United States, and is expanding its existing office space and customer support call center in Austin, Texas. Work also continues on the company's new campus in Cupertino, which is once again said to contain an estimated 3.6 million square feet of space.

- Apple is expecting its capital expenditures to rise to $13.0 billion in 2015, up from the $11.0 billion spent in 2014. $600 million of that amount will be allocated towards retail store facilities, while $12.4 billion will be used for other expenditures including manufacturing process equipment, data centers, and product tooling.

Apple's annual report, which is mostly targeted at investors and regulators, contains a number of other details about the company's operations. The report also provides an analysis of current product lines and addresses topics like executive compensation, investments, taxes, and more.

Article Link: Apple's 2014 Annual Report: Insight on Employee Numbers, Sales Growth, Retail Stores, and More

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

3. garnerx macrumors 6502

garnerx

4. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Reminds me of the Hitch Hikers Guide - A trilogy in four parts :D

5. netherfred macrumors member

Wow, amazing that they were working on 19.1 square feet with so many people! That must have been one crowed office! :)

6. Supermule macrumors regular

Supermule

Is it possible to find sales numbers from Apple Stores vs. Apple.com (online store)? (Example: 70% of all Iphones are sold in physical Apple Stores vs. 30 % online at Apple.com)

Just curious about the split between the two.

7. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Five, actually (admitted, the "Rupert" part was a bit late to the party).

8. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

and no resources or time to stick a 128 gb flash storage in the same old iPod Classic chassis (yes, a lot of R&D needed for this...)

9. Williesleg macrumors 6502

Tim Cook

Wow.

No sapphire display, soldered mac mini RAM, incremental changes, no real innovation, no real growth.

It's a ghost ship hiring tons of lackluster employees looking to get in and cash out.

Tim Cook really needs to step down.

10. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Billions of this... billions of that... with billions in increases... now dizzy :)

11. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Yeah, I don't see why they can't keep an iPod of some sort going. It is a nice device and simpler to do for something like bringing to a party and attaching to a sound system. Or on long drives it can run your tunes without notifications of every phone call ending up broadcast to everyone in the car.

I'd consider buying a iPod mini for jogging if it was a lot cheaper. No need for it to be $150 at this stage. I use a shuffle but the lack of screen and control of the songs isn't great.

12. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

I hope that was sarcasm.

13. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

And the screwed up the new Mac Mini.

14. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

Just subtract the store sales from total sales to get your answer.

15. Ingot macrumors 6502

Ingot

Put your phone on silent. You hear music but no notifications.

You are welcome.

16. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

40 million iPhone owners last quarter disagree with you.

*Typed on my beautiful new iPad Air 2

17. peterdevries, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014

peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

How is it? Mine is still in transit. I'm upgrading from an iPad 3.

18. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

How? The Mac Mini is exactly what it should be, low cost, bare bones. If you need more, get a Mac.

19. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

"A billion here, a billion there ... pretty soon you're talking real money."

20. dannyyankou, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

The screen is very sharp, it's almost as fast as my 2012 MacBook pro, and the battery is a trooper.

Oh, and the shift from the iPad 2 form factor to the Air is amazing. I came from an iPad 2 any I was amazed by the size and weight.

21. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Not everyone wants an all-in-one with that horribly glossy screen, or has $3000 for a Mac Pro with no need for Xeons and ECC RAM.

22. winmacuser macrumors member

Get a "Mac"? You mean the 1,000$ headless "just Mac" with quad-core CPU, dedicated graphics and user-replaceable RAM and storage?

Can't find it in the Apple store. There's just the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro ...

23. Supermule macrumors regular

Supermule

"No ****, Sherlock!" ;)

Everybody knows how to do it, but are the numbers available?

24. Tom-Create-Pro macrumors member

6 billion R&D spend, wowsers.

It will be interesting to see how the Apple Watch performs when it's released.

25. 2457282 Suspended

I am just amazed at the $50.6 million per store. Each store is bigger (in terms of sales) than most companies in the US (I assume that most small business, which make up the majority of business in the US -- typically under 50 employees -- do not have rvenues over $50 million).