Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver78

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
The company has grown to nearly a 3 trillion dollar value under his watch but he's a failure in your eyes. Says a lot about someone, not him though.
You do not create a 3 trillion dollar company without standing on peoples backs. Someone need pay the price and with apple we can only agree that it is the users. Cook may be a business success but with eyes of a costumer he should be seen as a crook

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
For me as an iPad Mini 6 owner...

An upgrade to A16 would be underwhelming. A15 is pretty fast. A marginal increase wouldn't be worth it.
Jelly scroll doesn't bother me at the moment, so removing it is of no benefit to me.
Camera upgrade - meh, it's an iPad. Other than putting the selfie camera on the long side for Zoom calls, I don't see a need to improve the cameras.
Colours? I couldn't care less. It will be going in a case.

On the basis of those rumours, unless it also has more RAM and at least 128gigs storage at base level, I can't see myself upgrading to the 7.
I agree. OLED would be nice since I read books in dark mode.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
ProMotion on mini would have been nice. Will be nice if Apple releases it with some bright colour options.

mistert1bbs

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
Option 1: Upgrade the screen and put in an M1. It will ding battery life a bit, but as long as they can keep it above 4 hours for gaming, it should be fine. I know the M3 is much more of a gaming chip, but you can get this in now to make steps.

In 3 months the M3 goes into the iPad Pro as a “proper” gaming platform. Ditto v2 of the Vision as a gaming platform. For travel gaming though, an M1 6 inch is a perfect size.

With those upgrades, you have an intro competitor to the Switch or Steam Deck, if you can get the decent game studios onboard. Playstation Remote Play already shows this is viable, but the mini needs a better screen for that to work. Support for Spatial Audio on headphones is necessary.

This feels more like a Steve play - ambitious reach into a new(er) market. I have to question the state of AAA gaming at the moment, so maybe more studios drop down to AA at a $15-20 price point. Challenge here is re-educating people that a last gen game is still quality (with Sony and Nintendo rocking the back catalogs on way old platforms, I think its there). Go whole hog crazy and buy up a studio - they have the cash.

Option 2: minor spec bump (A16a, upgraded single camera), rotate to minimise jelly and keep the price seriously low. Casual reading, browsing, entertainment. I have a feeling this is the direction Tim will go.

kangyula

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
I want 8GB ram and a downgraded camere, ie no camera bump. I'd buy a mini for being small and light, I don't want to add a cover to be able to use the pencil because of a camera I'd never use.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023

An upgrade to A16 would be underwhelming. A15 is pretty fast. A marginal increase wouldn't be worth it.
Jelly scroll doesn't bother me at the moment, so removing it is of no benefit to me.
Camera upgrade - meh, it's an iPad. Other than putting the selfie camera on the long side for Zoom calls, I don't see a need to improve the cameras.

On the basis of those rumours, unless it also has more RAM and at least 128gigs storage at base level, I can't see myself upgrading to the 7.
Well, beware the Apple RAM Price Management Division, whose sole purpose is to charge the highest possible amount for the lowest possible RAM increase. If you're in luck, you can get a whooping 1Go upgrade up to 5Go (don't even dream of 6Go) for as low as $199, which is Apple's Minimum Suggested Retail Price For Any RAM Upgrade.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
How is it that my iPhone screens is pretty much bezel-less yet the iPad have this ridiculous, thick basil still? Are we still worried about it touch rejection area?

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm good with my iPad Mini 5 & 6, so I’ll pass gen 7, unless it will be some really extra upgrade, but I probably don’t need anyway right now.
For normal scrolling the 6 is perfectly great, for some less scrolling and YouTube/Yoga/Meditating using the 5 is still above good.

My old 2013 iPad Air however died this week 😢
It has served me well a long time. The latest years just like a yoga/meditation timer. For the absolutely latest period only as a good visible clock, that only could charge from the Apple Studio Display.
The battery swelled up more and more until it suddenly died 💀
So now I have my oldest iPad mini (5th gen) at that place to serve. But it's actually too fresh for only that tasks, and a bit too small.
I might get used to it, or I will buy a larger used iPad in a while to have as a stationary at that place.
Old iPad's are so useful!
My only regret, I should've traded the 2013 in when Apple at least payed me something for it - like ~6 months ago.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
I got my Mini 6 quite late in the cycle but if the 7 comes with a brighter display, reduced jelly scroll, and more storage, it's a day one purchase for me.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

Completely agree. I love the form factor of my mini 6 and would update for genuine bumps in processor, storage, or screen. But the little device is working so well even nearly three years in that there’s no real need.

A good problem for me.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I start my residency this July and want to pick up one of these for my inpatient rotations. Would be perfect to have a pocketable iPad Mini at bedside to review patient information, place orders, review labs and imaging.

Reactions: Student of Life

Chlloret

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
IPad mini 6 is pretty much perfect. It was expensive but earned it's money easely.
One thing missing. Phone and sms function for conformation sms (whats app) and the occasional phone call via speaker or ear buds. Right now the cellular is useless as one always need a phone to carry anyway and can hotspot of that.

Or bring out an iPhone SE plus max ultra with 8" screen. The form factor is brilliant, fits in the jacket and there is no real need for a phone anymore. VoIP is not working as incomming calls are hit and miss and sms do not work as well.
Funny thing is, I had a jailbroken iPad years ago and a cydia app got the dialer app and the thing was a phone. The parts are in it but blocked by software.

Frustrating and in the end the only reason for a Samsung 8" Tablet WITH phone funktion. And that for half the price.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

Yeah these are great points. It would be nice to see an iPad Mini launched in late Fall and get the processor of the iPhone 16s. That’d be a big spec bump. Make base storage 128GB, and those two alone would prompt me to buy one.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Option 1: Upgrade the screen and put in an M1. It will ding battery life a bit, but as long as they can keep it above 4 hours for gaming, it should be fine. I know the M3 is much more of a gaming chip, but you can get this in now to make steps.

In 3 months the M3 goes into the iPad Pro as a “proper” gaming platform. Ditto v2 of the Vision as a gaming platform. For travel gaming though, an M1 6 inch is a perfect size.

With those upgrades, you have an intro competitor to the Switch or Steam Deck, if you can get the decent game studios onboard. Playstation Remote Play already shows this is viable, but the mini needs a better screen for that to work. Support for Spatial Audio on headphones is necessary.

This feels more like a Steve play - ambitious reach into a new(er) market. I have to question the state of AAA gaming at the moment, so maybe more studios drop down to AA at a $15-20 price point. Challenge here is re-educating people that a last gen game is still quality (with Sony and Nintendo rocking the back catalogs on way old platforms, I think its there). Go whole hog crazy and buy up a studio - they have the cash.

Option 2: minor spec bump (A16a, upgraded single camera), rotate to minimise jelly and keep the price seriously low. Casual reading, browsing, entertainment. I have a feeling this is the direction Tim will go.
An M1 chip doesn't really make much sense at this point. You would be looking at the M3 with its core efficiencies to help the battery life, especially if the idea is gaming.

Also at this point expect a two camera setup so it can be capable of shooting spatial videos

starwilson

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
Surely I missed the part where the next mini has wireless charging. It's in here, right? Even Kindle has wireless charging

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
I traded mine towards my laptop because I wasn't using it much, however IMO it is the easiest-to-handle iPad and the only one I liked using just a regular thin TPU case on (as opposed to a folio)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Number one wish for the iPad Mini, put in a cellular radio and let us use it as a phone!

w4rm

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2014
We just want a smaller iPad Pro, it’s pretty sizeist that Apple only gives better features to bigger devices.

• Haha
Reactions: GuruZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.