Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
- might negatively impact modern PCIe speeds and comparability (the newest standards are touchy);

- would increase the cost and complexity of a machine that already costs too much.

Pro Mac desktops have been over engineered since the G5 anyway. Would be cool if they had the clean internal design of the Power Mac G4.

Daughterboards can use proprietary connections not PCIe so they can be as fast as they need to be, but no more.

• Love
Reactions: xbjllb

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
They are now a CPU provider. The economic incentive has changed. Like Intel and AMD they can make more money by selling CPU upgrades more frequently than system upgrades. If you can have up to two daughtercards that’s even more profitable and at the same time a metric **** ton of power for users.

They are not a cpu provider

They are an appliance company that happens to design their own custom cpus for said appliances

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The Mac Pro has become such an unbelievable dumb product. There is literally no reason to get it except to turn your nose up at the peasants and evil laugh about how much money you have... And speaking of money, anyone that thinks Apple is going to lower their prices is kidding themselves. They are squeezing every last nickel they can out of everything.
It's aimed at corporate buyers, it's a tool, and the cost of the machine is a rounding error in the total cost of employment of the people using it. *And* it can be written off on corporate taxes as a capital expense.

Just because you're not the target market doesnt make it a dumb product.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
what kind of work do you do that you have a tool running on 18 Mac pros?!?

I'm mostly just surprised anything like that would be running on arm macOS
Semiconductor manufacturing equipment. These are 'darkfield' scan tools. They fire lasers across the surface of the wafer and identify defects based on how the light scatters on the far side. They can tell precisely (within 10 nanometers) where the defect is, the size in both x and y directions, and other characteristics.

Then, the tools process rules on these defects (is it too small, too big, too A, too B, too C, only seen by the left laser, only seen by the right laser and so on) to provide additional information on each defect found.

The scan fairly quickly, and are processing a ton of information on every wafer.

Reactions: HDFan

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Semiconductor manufacturing equipment. These are 'darkfield' scan tools. They fire lasers across the surface of the wafer and identify defects based on how the light scatters on the far side. They can tell precisely (within 10 nanometers) where the defect is, the size in both x and y directions, and other characteristics.

Then, the tools process rules on these defects (is it too small, too big, too A, too B, too C, only seen by the left laser, only seen by the right laser and so on) to provide additional information on each defect found.

The scan fairly quickly, and are processing a ton of information on every wafer.

And these run on ARM macOS?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
These have two ‘columns’ of Mac pros in them, there are also a couple of Windows PCs for a total of like 20 computers.

I'm curious about the software

what is ARM macOS doing exactly?

I would expect stuff like this to be linux or maybe even windows these days...

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I'm curious about the software

what is ARM macOS doing exactly?

I would expect stuff like this to be linux or maybe even windows these days...
These aren’t ARM Macs (I don’t believe I ever said they were, but merely and example of something needing PCIE slots).

Processing data mostly. Interpretation of a scattered light into a wafer map. If you want to learn more, the major players are usually hiring, and I don’t want to step on any trade secrets.

There are tools that run Linux (and other stuff). I do not know why vendors chose this one over that. I will note that the Macs are less prone to crashing, even compared to some of our Linux tools.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
So they are a CPU provider for their own appliances. Got it!
That used to be the case more you know, with manufacturers using in house designs - DEC had alpha, Sun had SPARC, IBM's had a dozen archs, Motorola had 68k, Acorn (with Apple and VLSI) had ARM, older purpose driven machines like the Cray-1 had their own specific proc types, etc

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
That used to be the case more you know, with manufacturers using in house designs - DEC had alpha, Sun had SPARC, IBM's had a dozen archs, Motorola had 68k, Acorn (with Apple and VLSI) had ARM, older purpose driven machines like the Cray-1 had their own specific proc types, etc

Some folks are still making CPU upgrades for ancient systems. The Amiga not only still getting FPGA based upgrades but still getting new system roms too. It must be the oldest system still being updated by fans. It can now playback videos and mp3s and use some USB peripherals even though it is an 80s machine. Crazy ****.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: xbjllb and seek3r

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Some folks are still making CPU upgrades for ancient systems. The Amiga not only still getting FPGA based upgrades but still getting new system roms too. It must be the oldest system still being updated by fans. It can now playback videos and mp3s and use some USB peripherals even though it is an 80s machine. Crazy ****.
Hey, the last Commodore Amigas were NINETIES machines. I know kids today think every year that starts with a 1 happened at the same time, but it was a different decade. :)

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
So they are a CPU provider for their own appliances. Got it!

Yes, but only bundled with the appliance, they are not going to:

Like Intel and AMD they can make more money by selling CPU upgrades more frequently than system upgrades.

That's not their business model. So they aren't a CPU provider in the sense that you are saying. They design appliances, the cpu is part of the design. It is not a separate part that they are a provider of.

(Really TSMC is the CPU provider here, and they certainly aren't going to sell you any apple silicon.)

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
That's not their business model. So they aren't a CPU provider in the sense that you are saying. They design appliances, the cpu is part of the design. It is not a separate part that they are a provider of.
I'm sure Apple won't do it... but it would be interesting if Apple could sell SoCs and reference motherboard designs into the Linux server space.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Really TSMC is the CPU provider here, and they certainly aren't going to sell you any apple silicon.
Not quite right. Legally they can't sell Apple Silicon because the design really does come from Apple. TSMC has the fab plants to actually make the chips. They sell chips with other ARM designs, but some other client has to provide a design that the client legally owns.

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada

(Really TSMC is the CPU provider here, and they certainly aren't going to sell you any apple silicon.)
I've give you that Apple is not going to license out their CPUs for anybody else to use, so they're not a CPU provider, but a system provider, with custom Arm-based CPUs.

...but saying TSMC is the CPU provider is the biggest twisting of truth I've heard in a while. By that logic AMD doesn't provide CPUs or GPUs either, as those parts also come from TSMC. And I guess Foxconn is the Playstation provider, as well as the Xbox provider, AND the Switch provider too.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
...but saying TSMC is the CPU provider is the biggest twisting of truth I've heard in a while. By that logic AMD doesn't provide CPUs or GPUs either, as those parts also come from TSMC. And I guess Foxconn is the Playstation provider, as well as the Xbox provider, AND the Switch provider too.

I would say it's more a different way of looking at it than a twisting of truth. By the same token I would agree with those other assessments as well. Apple, AMD, Sony, et al. design chips and devices; and manufacturers like TSMC and Foxconn manufacture them. I suppose your opinion on who provides them depends on whether you feel the providing is the manufacture or the design.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Not quite right. Legally they can't sell Apple Silicon because the design really does come from Apple. TSMC has the fab plants to actually make the chips. They sell chips with other ARM designs, but some other client has to provide a design that the client legally owns.

what part is not quite right? nothing you said there contradicts what I said

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I'm sure Apple won't do it... but it would be interesting if Apple could sell SoCs and reference motherboard designs into the Linux server space.
It will be interesting to see down the road if Right to Repair will force Apple to sell SoC's.

DavidSchaub

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2016
It will be interesting to see down the road if Right to Repair will force Apple to sell SoC's.
Apple currently rides the line:
- they supply parts for the repairs that Apple themselves do.
- by their logic they don't need to supply parts for repairs that they don't do. Replacing an SoC (or even an SoC package) is not a repair that Apple can do.

Time will tell what the courts think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.