Apple's 30 day exchange policy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PUCCY, Jun 20, 2010.

1. PUCCY macrumors regular

I want to pre-order the new iphone but in case the white one comes in less than a month I might want to exchange it. Is this policy only available by Apple, or if I pre-order from ATT will I get the same benefit?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

If you want white, wait like the rest of us. Oh, and you'll pay a restocking fee—or you should.

3. Chromus macrumors regular

I pre-ordered at my local Apple store and the employee said we could return it for the white if it was within the 30 days. I didn't ask about a restocking fee, as I'm sticking with black.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Apple's websites claims their is a restocking fee for returning within the 30 days if the package is open, but considering Apple has to open the package for you to activate your phone, I don't see why they can charge you a restocking fee.

but I agree with rKunda, just wait.

5. Tedsallis macrumors newbie

Tedsallis

I'd be willing to bet that the White will not be within 30 days of release specifically to keep this from happening.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Your thirty day exchange period shouldn't start from the day you preorder. And if the box has been opened, you will be required to pay a restocking fee.

7. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Sorry, the exchange will not be allowed. The return policy is just that, it is not for like kind exchanges. Rather it is designed as a satisfaction warranty for those that find the product unacceptable or where there is a problem with the product. It is not for someone who changes their mind about their color choice. It could be that you'll find a manager who might waive policy on this and allow the exchange, although I doubt one would, but there would be a restocking fee in that case equal to the early termination fee and it would be automatically accessed against your account if another iPhone was issued to the same account.

The policy was designed that way to prevent people from making frivolous exchanges such as for keeping their phone "new" as in "why not dude, now I have a brand new phone and not one that's been used for 29 days" or someone who decides they want the white one instread of the black one. If you return your iphone you'll have to either revoke the whole transaction (either cancel your account or go back to your prior phone) or select a different model phone. Can't exchange for the same model, and the while one would be considered the same even if it was a different SKU - another iPhone 4 would not be allowed.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, later this summer as reports have indicated almost will mean that it won't be around until August.

9. Zelnaga macrumors regular

How much is the restocking fee?

10. Sean006 macrumors 6502

11. christyn macrumors 6502a

believe it's 10%

12. kits macrumors member

Or they will make sure to have white in stock from day one. Else, they will see lot of exchanges taking place. I know at least 5 of my friends who want new iPhone 4 and everyone wants white including me :)

13. aristobrat macrumors G5

For iPhones and Bose products, Apple's return policy is 30 days.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

AT&T gets same benefit, but if you really wanted iphone in white, then you should wait. AT&T doesn't get same shipments like Apple does.

15. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

I'm doing the same. I'll exchange mine for white, probably. But as stated, if it's unopened, there should be a 30-day return policy without a restocking fee.

I'd suggest not opening your black iPhone, or setting aside that money for restocking. Also, for a question like this, contact the retailer directly for confirmation. Look on the website to find their return policy in writing, or speak with a manager and note their name.

16. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I thought it was 14 day return policy. Well at least that's what my receipt says. :rolleyes:

17. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

Why on earth would someone go through all the hassle of doing the pre-order, accept delivery and then not even open it. :confused:

18. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Not all of us are waiting. And Apple SHOULD not be silent about the reason. Giving people some sort of window of expectation after the unpleasant surprise of not be able to order the white may encourage people to be patient and not order the black only to exchange it.

If you want the iPhone 4, you woke up ready to order white and it wasn't available. If you waited for Apple's explanation, you were SOL because now delivery's into late July. So I for one am happy I ordered one, but you better bet that if within the return policy's allowed time, the white is released and I still want it, I will return the black one. Period.

19. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

So that you have it, and if there's news that the white one is released within the allowed return time, you can return it without paying a restocking fee.

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

It has always been 14 days, not 30.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then just wait for the white iPhone. Personally, if I really wanted the white iPhone I would just wait for it.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it is 30 days with Apple for the iPhone because you technically have 30 days to cancel you contract with AT&T without penalty, so both Apple and AT&T allow you 30 days to return your phone.

[​IMG]

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Right from apple's sales policies

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1618/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21

24. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I know many people who were able to exchnage their 16GB for 32GB iPhones, no hassle, so I wouldn't be so certain.

25. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Really? That's good to know! Thanks!

P.S. But what's up with an $175??? It should be a $175.