Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Flyover is fun, but Street View is far more useful and accurate. Also, it covers almost every single street in most major cities, which means chances are it will always work for you, without any exceptions. Can't say the same for flyover, unless Apple intends to cover to the same extent as Street View does...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
That's great BUT...I am extremely annoyed that I noticed on day one of iOS 6 that my business' info is outdated on the Maps app. I reported on day one (and every single day since), and nothing has been done. I have posted links to my company's web site (with the correct info) and my contact info many times to Apple but no response. About a week after iOS6 came out I did a little experiment where I also informed Google of the info change as well. Google updated their maps THE NEXT DAY. :eek:
What the hell Apple? :rolleyes: :mad:

Maybe you've annoyed them by reporting this EVERY day. LOL..... But seriously, it should have been fixed!

BB1985

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2002
England

We must never forget that although maps has its problems it is version 1.0!

Everything comes to he who waits!

Renzatic

Suspended
Flyover is fun, but Street View is far more useful and accurate. Also, it covers almost every single street in most major cities, which means chances are it will always work for you, without any exceptions. Can't say the same for flyover, unless Apple intends to cover to the same extent as Street View does...

You know what the coolest thing about Street View is? They go everywhere.

Not just cities. I've picked places out in the middle of nowhere you wouldn't believe people even live, let alone think Google would deem important enough to drive a van out to. And yet, they did.

Probably got shot at while doing it, too.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

What makes you think Apple doesn't intend to do this?

I don't expect Apple to try and duplicate Google's QuickTime VR approach, but Flyover couple easily morph into Walkthru, where you land on the street and see higher resolution images mapped onto more accurate 3D storefronts that you could view from any angle, and not just the ones where the Google StreetView camera clicked.

A later revision could allow you to enter certain public buildings and explore the inside in virtual reality fashion. It will be an empty world, or you can choose to have it populated by cars and "people".

Still later we'll have volumetric weather effects, and lighting effects, to simulate time of day.

To be sure, Google won't stick with the StreetView/QuickTime VR approach for much longer. It has served them well, but the future is even more interactive, and more real. They'll want to show more live data, like cars in a traffic jam, or empty streets, or throngs of people coming out of a stadium, to reflect the current, past, or predicted reality.

What Google and Apple (and X) will give us in our maps ten or so years into the future will make StreetView and Flyover seem antiquated.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Street view is good if you need to see the exact store front, not so good if you need to navigate to that store. Map view and street view are worlds apart, with completely different information.

bluboi917

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
Progress is great and all but how they failed to put the Washington Monument, the Gateway Arch and Mount Rushmore in the Flyover is ridiculous IMO.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It's not really separate, though. You press your finger on a street, and it zooms down to where you've pointed to for a closeup view.

So what, you can get a map view and a street view. They are separate. A fly over is somewhere in between, it's much easier to pan and zoom the landscape to get see how two points relate without losing your reference.

Dropping down to street view is nice because it gives you a street view look at the place, but at the price of losing the map view, or the overall relation to other places.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
So?

Sorry, but I don't buy any of the excuses on why it may take so long or even why Apple had to move away from Google.

All I care about is that I spent my money on an Apple product, it used to work nearly flawlessly, and is suddenly plagued with issues because of changes Apple made.

Oh my. You demand so much as if your money spent on Apple products was giving salary to entire Apple employees. Hey, your money was just a salary of maybe just 1 apple employee on a single day.

Or try to turn your beloved money into a product. Elitist.

Renzatic

Suspended
So what, you can get a map view and a street view. They are separate. A fly over is somewhere in between, it's much easier to pan and zoom the landscape to get see how two points relate without losing your reference.

You're right, it is the in-between option. It gives you a nice, spatially aware view of what you're looking at, but it's still not as low level and intimately detailed as SV is.

Streetview doesn't negate the 3D flyover, and the 3D flyover doesn't negate Streetview. The best case scenario would be having access to them both.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
You're right, it is the in-between option. It gives you a nice, spatially aware view of what you're looking at, but it's still not as low level and intimately detailed as SV is.

Streetview doesn't negate the 3D flyover, and the 3D flyover doesn't negate Streetview. The best case scenario would be having access to them both.

Ideally yes, but many times a large zoom level in 3D mode gives you the information you need from street view.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
So what are you trying to say...
Apple should be given 8 years to fix their maps?
Apple is going to take 8 years to fix maps

That can you imagine how long if they keep developing it in private because google maps is in public since 2007.

To lead in an industry you can't be 8 years behind the competition.

That's why they split with google. Because Google don't allow advance features of their maps to iOS. That's why I'm saying it's a nice move because they will catch up faster now that it's being used in public.

Renzatic

Suspended
Ideally yes, but many times a large zoom level in 3D mode gives you the information you need from street view.

Ehh...maybe. There are times when a mid level isometric shot will give you all you need to know, I'll admit. But there are times when getting a ground level view can really come in handy.

Hence why I think having both would be preferable. The more information you have access to at your fingertips, the better.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Ehh...maybe. There are times when a mid level isometric shot will give you all you need to know, I'll admit. But there are times when getting a ground level view can really come in handy.

Hence why I think having both would be preferable. The more information you have access to at your fingertips, the better.

I said many times, not all the times, it was intentional. I also said ideally you would have booth. You need to pay more attention.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
teeeaacchhherrr! I dropped my peeennncciiillll!

Wtf is your problem? You posted a response that was completely in line with what I said, ie no disagreements but you where able to misunderstand the post and argue about it any way.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Oh my. You demand so much as if your money spent on Apple products was giving salary to entire Apple employees. Hey, your money was just a salary of maybe just 1 apple employee on a single day.

Or try to turn your beloved money into a product. Elitist.

I'm an elitist for expecting a product to function as promised?

Renzatic

Suspended
Wtf is your problem? You posted a response that was completely in line with what I said, ie no disagreements but you where able to misunderstand the post and argue about it any way.

All I know is I was semi agreeing with and elaborating on what you said one second, then finding myself in some awkward confrontational type situation the next. I have no idea what's going on.

Man, this is like prom night all over again.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Apple has still got my home in the wrong location AND they've got my "current location"(read my actual home location) as the Clubhouse for the golf course I live on. Been corrected multiple times since day one, but map is not reflective of that

Last edited:

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
Couple of days ago I have also noticed some changes in apple maps. In a small canadian tourist town Banff, there are way more hotels, coffes and stuff like that showing on a map, while previously it was just a few in the whole town. That's the improvement I've noticed :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.