Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's $500 Developer Program Includes Tools and Resources for Transitioning to Apple Silicon, Plus a Loaner A12Z-Based Mac Mini

tenjikuronin

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t have a current app. Haven’t in years. They accepted me. Go to application and apply.

My professional apple ID and even a new one I created can't get even get into the application :(
Why you gotta play me like this, Apple?

Comment

Acidsplat

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
My professional apple ID and even a new one I created can't get even get into the application :(
Why you gotta play me like this, Apple?
None of it makes sense unless some algorithim is messed up.
Maybe certain regions have a limited number to start with, or the age of the Apple ID?
Seeing people make new accounts on day 1 of WWDC and then get approved a day later is so frustrating.

Comment

fishkorp

Contributor
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Why? That's where the factories are. They didn't stockpile 10k of them ahead of time.
AppleTV dev kits shipped from Pennsylvania. The first gen Apple Watches from the dev program also shipped from the US.

they know the exact quantity they were making available. Not unreasonable to think they’d have them ready to go right away.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
AppleTV dev kits shipped from Pennsylvania. The first gen Apple Watches from the dev program also shipped from the US.

they know the exact quantity they were making available. Not unreasonable to think they’d have them ready to go right away.

Sending them to America doesn’t help if from there they need to send them back to developers in Asia, Eastern Europe, etc.

Reactions: CarlJ
Comment

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Can I ask what you put on the application? Some of us have been in limbo for days and it's getting frustrating

I can't answer for anyone else, but there's nothing specific you can put on the application that improves your chances. As reported in this thread there have been approvals for developers with zero apps in the store.

However, you won't hear anything until everyone who wasn't accepted gets the same "form letter" message saying:

"Thank you for applying to the Universal App Quick Start Program. We received a tremendous amount of applicants for the program. Due to this level of demand we were unable to approve your application.

Please continue to access developer.apple.com to take advantage of all the resources you'll need to develop your next great application. Also, Apple Silicon Macs will be shipping before the end of 2020.

We can't wait to see the great products you're going to bring to Apple platforms!

Sincerely,
Apple Developer Program."

As I said above, there are no succinct acceptance criteria Apple uses to make these determinations. You're either in the "In Crowd" or not. This is just how Apple works.

The only option for those who don't get a DTK is to plod ahead with Intel only binaries for the next year (at least). BTW, it's also a reasonable option even IF you do get a DTK. This actually makes the most sense because even after Apple Silicon Macs begin to appear in the market it will be some time before the market share is large enough to justify the cost of supporting Universal builds. Users will just stick with their Intel Macs until they perceive a benefit to upgrade to Apple Silicon. Developers have NO IDEA what this will look like for at least a year.

The best business strategy is to ignore the transition until the cost of transitioning will yield a positive benefit.
It's amazing how often the best course of action is to do nothing. This is one of those times

Comment

dgdosen

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Just curious - anyone who's got a DTK - can you install Docker and run Docker on it? If so, is it using Apple's "Virtualization" or is it running Rosetta2 and emulating x64 in some way...

Comment

VoxzeyWoxzey

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2020
I'm not sure what Apple's selection process is but they must be reaching for a lot of different candidates for the DTK. I applied for it as a fledling developer that is self-teaching myself thinking that I wouldn't get in and that there was no point in me applying (I don't even have any published apps, I'm just teaching myself right now due to the downturn in my industry from COVID and wanting to get new skills as I live in a tech hub).

I submitted my application on 6/22, was approved on 7/15, and my box should be arriving next week. I'm guessing they want a large range of individuals from those that are still learning (to see what issues there are with growth and getting people that are newbies like me) to those in larger companies that make them the major bucks.

Reactions: devKore
Comment

devKore

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
I've never built an app but intend on creating one and work as a full time php developer right now. My kit arrives August 7th according to Apple. They just approved me to purchase the kit after I submit my application a few weeks back.

Comment

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Mine request has just been approved after 2 months (EU), will be delivered by 21 Sep.

The program T&Cs specify program termination one year after acceptance, and prompt return of hardware within 30 days.
So one benefit of receiving a "later" approval might (?) be having more time to see what silicon Macs become available before needing to return the DTK hardware. WWDC 2021 most likely will be full of silicon Mac announcements. You won't need to make a silicon Mac purchase decision until October 2021.

Comment

crystalidea

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2014
Belgium
Right, it's to be delivered even faster, just 3 days (UPS). Can't wait to see how good macOS runs on an ARM CPU.

Last edited:
Comment

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Well then, it's just another case of Apple picking winners based on who they "like".

Seems Apple is approving all applications to the quick start program. Albeit with "deplorables" shuffled to the end of the line.

Maybe (?) Apple realizes this was another "disaster" waiting to happen? The "optics" of continuing their "picking winners" behavior cannot be viewed favorably by the anti-trust regulators looking at them now. I doubt Apple realized they were "stepping in it" again because their arrogance has truly blinded them - especially regarding their own "we know best" self righteous behavior.

Or, this could be a sign the Apple silicon (AS) transition is running into unexpected delays? If AS manufacturing resources would otherwise be ramping commercial units that are not RTM yet, why not continue to produce DTK hardware?

The DTK program would have met a graceful (meaning whisper silent) end as the first AS Macs became available because the 'excitement' of releasing the first AS macs would have drowned out the DTK program termination.

Probably both situations apply. Apple planned to end the Quick Start program as consumer AS macs shipped - no need to continue building DTK hardware when Apple is shipping real units. That line of BS would have placated the anti-trust scrutiny.

So as the say: "the best laid schemes of mice and men....."

Comment

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
Hopefully Apple will offer some sort of upgrade from DTK to M1 for those people that have the development machines.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.