Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A massive discount has arrived for Apple's 9th generation iPad on Amazon, which has the 64GB Wi-Fi tablet for $229.99, down from $329.00.

ipad-9-snowflakes.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This is the lowest price we've ever tracked for the 9th generation iPad, and Amazon has it in both Silver and Space Gray. The latter color does appear to have somewhat dwindling stock as of writing.

If you want a bit more storage, you'll find a similar $99 discount on the 256GB model. It's available for $379.99, down from $479.00 on Amazon.

This 2021 iPad lacks the design changes that arrived in the 10th generation models, but at this $99 discount it's a great entry-level tablet for kids or family members who don't need a Pro-level tablet.

You can find all the Apple Black Friday Deals currently available in our dedicated post. For everything else, we're keeping track of all of the season's best Apple-related deals in our Black Friday roundup, so be sure to check back throughout the month for an updated list of all the most notable discounts you'll find for Black Friday 2023.

Article Link: Apple's 9th Gen iPad Gets Biggest Discount to Date, Available for $229.99

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is a piece of crap and the reason Apple should allow going back on iOS versions. I picked up one of these for my son to replace an old iPad Mini 4 which was bogging down badly and not eligible for iOS 17. With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds. If it wasn't for the app store I would regret not just buying him an old Surface Pro 3 which runs rings around it with Win10, but he has certain apps/games which he prefers from Apple.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
This is a piece of crap and the reason Apple should allow going back on iOS versions. I picked up one of these for my son to replace an old iPad Mini 4 which was bogging down badly and not eligible for iOS 17. With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds. If it wasn't for the app store I would regret not just buying him an old Surface Pro 3 which runs rings around it with Win10, but he has certain apps/games which he prefers from Apple.
There must be something wrong with it if it is actually freezing up... that or you have downloaded a suspicious attachement or visited an extremely dodgy website.

Take it back and get it checked out, or perform a reset at least.

There is no way even 9th gen iPad would perform that bad if well looked after.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
There must be something wrong with it if it is actually freezing up... that or you have downloaded a suspicious attachement or visited an extremely dodgy website.

Take it back and get it checked out, or perform a reset at least.

There is no way even 9th gen iPad would perform that bad if well looked after.

I thought so at first, but I've been through too many "old" Apple products to believe any differently. Have already done a full fresh reinstall, made sure there is plenty of storage space, etc. Heck even my iPhone 13 pro max stutters and freezes intermittently, although nowhere near as badly as my kid's iPad, but wayyyy more than a 2 year old flagship product should. I kept his old iPad mini 4 just to use at work as a camera monitor and even on iOS15 it's a fairly awful experience. Maybe I just expect too much since I'm used to Windows on my tablets.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Yeah sharp price, unfortunately not available in the Dutch store, though they do carry the 10th gen for 80 euros off, still 500 euros though.

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2022
NY
9th gen iPad is like the iPad 2 and Watch Series 3. Apple just won't kill it and it's way past its expiration date.
It exists just to have a low cost iPad. Good entry into the iPad ecosystem or for those who have basic needs. I personally wouldn’t buy a device with the Lightning port in 2023, and I do need to replace my decade old iPad. This is not the one, for me at least.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
buy yourself a little piece of 2014 at a bargain price
Apple A13 was launched 2019…. If you want 2014 tech, that would be likely iPad Air 2 with Apple A8 variant technology.

This iPad would work, and work well, for some people with basic needs like web browsing, email etc. And likely last years more with support. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest and I applaud apple for even having options like this out there. You can still buy apple quality on a budget.

It’s not for everyone, but people can make their own minds up.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I thought so at first, but I've been through too many "old" Apple products to believe any differently. Have already done a full fresh reinstall, made sure there is plenty of storage space, etc. Heck even my iPhone 13 pro max stutters and freezes intermittently, although nowhere near as badly as my kid's iPad, but wayyyy more than a 2 year old flagship product should. I kept his old iPad mini 4 just to use at work as a camera monitor and even on iOS15 it's a fairly awful experience. Maybe I just expect too much since I'm used to Windows on my tablets.
If your iphone 13 pro is stuttering too…. Id really take all your apple stuff to an Apple store and find out whats happening.

• Love
Reactions: Jovijoker

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
I was actually waiting for this to go on BF/CM deal before pulling the trigger. This is a great iPad for a kid who doesn’t need much. I have an 11” iPad Pro (2018), and my older kid has my prior 10.5” iPad Pro. My youngest is getting a bit old now that she wants her own iPad, and so I’ve really been eyeing this.

What I like about this is that it still has a headphone jack - my kids have rugged headphones they can use (great for road trips / flights), so really like having this available at this price.

I was kind of hoping that a new enticing iPad Pro would come out, and then I could get that one, and then we’d all do the hand-down shuffle, lol. But I’ve felt no need to upgrade my 2018 11” iPad Pro (A12X) still with the current design language. If the rumors are true for 1H24 with a whole iPad line refresh and OLED potentially coming to the iPPs, maybe that’ll be the time to upgrade. But at this price, it’s worth pulling the trigger on this one for me so my youngest doesn’t have to wait until then!

Reactions: Jovijoker and Porco

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
My wife uses one of these just fine and loves it, and she uses it a *lot*, it’s her primary mobile computer, and if a completely different ecosystem with a full desktop OS that currently retails, *starting* before upgrades, at 3x this iPad’s price works for your son I’m going to posit that the fault was you completely misunderstanding what your son’s use case was going to be

Reactions: Jovijoker

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
Apple A13 was launched 2019…. If you want 2014 tech, that would be likely iPad Air 2 with Apple A8 variant technology.

This iPad would work, and work well, for some people with basic needs like web browsing, email etc. And likely last years more with support. Not everyone can afford the latest and greatest and I applaud apple for even having options like this out there. You can still buy apple quality on a budget.

It’s not for everyone, but people can make their own minds up.

The chip is the only part of this thing that doesn't need putting out to pasture

This iPad line up is a mess in general. Design language all over the place, odd accessories that work with some models and not others etc

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
My wife uses one of these just fine and loves it, and she uses it a *lot*, it’s her primary mobile computer, and if a completely different ecosystem with a full desktop OS that currently retails, *starting* before upgrades, at 3x this iPad’s price works for your son I’m going to posit that the fault was you completely misunderstanding what your son’s use case was going to be

Yeah because using apps from Apple's app store is "completely misunderstanding" my son's use case. WTF did I just read?! FYI a Surface Pro 3 is about the same price or slightly lower than this iPad 9's sale price (2nd hand on for example Swappa as you can't get them new anymore). Although my point wasn't to say I should have purchased a SP3 for my son, but rather how well Windows 10 runs on an almost 10 year old device. I actually did upgrade my 11 year old daughter from her old iPad to a SP3, but my son is 6 and likes his games/apps and garage band.

Reactions: missingar

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If your iphone 13 pro is stuttering too…. Id really take all your apple stuff to an Apple store and find out whats happening.

I've taken it, and my old iPad mini 4 and was told that's just how they run. Haven't taken my son's iPad 9 in yet, but even with resetting and doing a fresh, non-backup, install it still runs fairly badly. My take on it is many of these devices run great when first released, but slowly OS updates begin to become too powerful for them. I get it, that's true of all technology, just seems much worse with Apple. Don't even get me started on my Macbook Pro with i7, 16gb ram, 1tb SSD which ran like absolute **** with Ventura, fans just going off constantly, slow downs, etc. I traded it in for a Mac Mini M2 8gb which is running really well. Maybe the M chips will have more longevity.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yeah because using apps from Apple's app store is "completely misunderstanding" my son's use case. WTF did I just read?! FYI a Surface Pro 3 is about the same price or slightly lower than this iPad 9's sale price (2nd hand on for example Swappa as you can't get them new anymore). Although my point wasn't to say I should have purchased a SP3 for my son, but rather how well Windows 10 runs on an almost 10 year old device. I actually did upgrade my 11 year old daughter from her old iPad to a SP3, but my son is 6 and likes his games/apps and garage band.
You’re comparing a 2nd hand device to a new one, with a completely separate OS, constraints, and set of app options

Sounds like you’re running apps that are better suited to higher performance or at least higher RAM devices, maybe look at an ipad pro

Seems like you want $1k performance one way or another from a $200 device

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: missingar

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
At those sales prices, this is probably the best Apple product in terms of value presently. It is better than any Android tablet in terms of performance and simplicity. It is also perfect for most tablet use cases (content consumption, browsing, communication, messaging ...). I got myself one just to use it for Facetime/Zoom/Teams calls and free my 11" M1 iPad Pro and other devices from those battery draining activities.

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
Trading in a 7th gen iPad to Apple for a $110 Apple gift card and buying this. Feels like a good deal to me. A13 Bionic vs A10. 64 GB vs 32 GB. Now I can avoid dealing with storage being full on my 6 year old's iPad

Reactions: Thisismattwade
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.