Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

segfaultdotorg

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2007
Get that Lightning connector while you still can! This will be a collector's item. RIP, Lightning connector.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
This is a piece of crap and the reason Apple should allow going back on iOS versions. I picked up one of these for my son to replace an old iPad Mini 4 which was bogging down badly and not eligible for iOS 17. With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds. If it wasn't for the app store I would regret not just buying him an old Surface Pro 3 which runs rings around it with Win10, but he has certain apps/games which he prefers from Apple.
Odd, mine works just fine on IOS 17.1.1. I got it last year as the 10th generation had the price increase and took out the headphone jack.

Reactions: seek3r

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
This is a piece of crap and the reason Apple should allow going back on iOS versions. I picked up one of these for my son to replace an old iPad Mini 4 which was bogging down badly and not eligible for iOS 17. With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds. If it wasn't for the app store I would regret not just buying him an old Surface Pro 3 which runs rings around it with Win10, but he has certain apps/games which he prefers from Apple.
I have an iPad 8 myself (one version older than this one). It works smoothly.

What apps/games is he running, and how much free space does he have?

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
For someone wanting a basic tablet, it’s a steal. There are loads of people with older tablets still doing things they need about the house and at work.
I completely agree. I have a iPad 8 and it's great as a text/book reader, light web surfing, document editing with Apple Pencil.

Stuartglossop

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2023
Strange! Mine is great and got it when it pretty much came out too. I’ve ran betas and I use it everyday. Currently running iOS 17.2 beta 3 and it’s better than ever

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds.
I‘m running a 5th generation iPad mini that has the same amount of RAM and an A12 Bionic that’s one generation behind. I haven‘t restarted the device in days and I‘m writing this from one of the 80+ tabs currently „open“ in Safari (well, most of them would reload from the internet) on iOS 17.

I bought it soon after release in 2019, it has travelled with me dozens of times, in addition to using it on my commute as well as at home. Been using it daily and the battery is somewhat degraded (drains noticeably faster) after hundreds of charging cycles. Is it running as snappy as on a new battery and iOS 12? Probably not. But I can‘t say that it bogs down or freezes regularly. Not even when playing games.

Would I recommend buying an iPad with a 2019 SoC today though? That’s a different question.

Last edited:

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
The chip is the only part of this thing that doesn't need putting out to pasture

This iPad line up is a mess in general. Design language all over the place, odd accessories that work with some models and not others etc

It really is. How many different variations of iPad are there now? How many SKU’s? It’s nearly impossible for the average consumer to navigate. It’s no wonder their sales are dropping…who knows what to buy?

• Haha
Reactions: b17777

George Bailey

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2007
This is a piece of crap and the reason Apple should allow going back on iOS versions. I picked up one of these for my son to replace an old iPad Mini 4 which was bogging down badly and not eligible for iOS 17. With iOS 17 his new iPad 9 bogs down left and right and often just outright freezes for several seconds.

I've got a much older 7th gen iPad running iPad OS 17 and it works just fine. I use it for development testing, and even when I'm debugging on it it's totally responsive.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
You’re comparing a 2nd hand device to a new one, with a completely separate OS, constraints, and set of app options

Sounds like you’re running apps that are better suited to higher performance or at least higher RAM devices, maybe look at an ipad pro

Seems like you want $1k performance one way or another from a $200 device

Your points are inane and not applicable to what I'm complaining about. I'm looking for my iPad to properly run apps from the app store, nothing more. If my iPad can't run those apps properly then they shouldn't be downloadable and usable. Again, I get that technology moves on and hardware becomes outdated and I simply got caught in this trap, I just thought I had more time than the 2 years since this iPad was relesed.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have an iPad 8 myself (one version older than this one). It works smoothly.

What apps/games is he running, and how much free space does he have?

It's not just apps/games, it's doing simple stuff like going through settings. Most of his stuff runs ok, it's just that overall it slows down and/or freezes intermittently but then resumes function. When it runs it seems to run ok. It's a 64gb with about 35gb free.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
It's not just apps/games, it's doing simple stuff like going through settings. Most of his stuff runs ok, it's just that overall it slows down and/or freezes intermittently but then resumes function. When it runs it seems to run ok. It's a 64gb with about 35gb free.
That is not normal. I messed around with my iPad 8 before responding, and on an iPad 8 with about 5GB free, settings open quickly and I'm able to click on a panel and options appear almost instantly.

Take it to Apple, see what's wrong with it.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It exists just to have a low cost iPad. Good entry into the iPad ecosystem or for those who have basic needs. I personally wouldn’t buy a device with the Lightning port in 2023, and I do need to replace my decade old iPad. This is not the one, for me at least.
It exists to have a starting point to build higher prices for the better models. If the 9th gen didn't exist, curious what the price of the current 10th gen iPad would be...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
That is not normal. I messed around with my iPad 8 before responding, and on an iPad 8 with about 5GB free, settings open quickly and I'm able to click on a panel and options appear almost instantly.

Take it to Apple, see what's wrong with it.

I would think that if it were not for my experience with multiple other devices which act in a similar fashion including iPads, iPhones, Macbook laptops. I've previously had them look at an iPad mini 4 and my iPhone 13 pro max and both times, after resetting and troubleshooting they said were functioning normally even though they acknowledged the slowdowns, in particular the mini 4. I would normally take it into an Apple store if I had extra time to waste, but I already know it's going to be the same thing.

The slowdowns and freezes are not all the time, sometimes it runs smoothly, there really doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as sometimes he has an intensive game backgrounded and it works fine, other times there isn't anything else running and it slows down. Couple that with the continued Screentime bugs where Screentime is nigh useless and I think a better course of action will be to just get my 6 year old a used SP3 and leave the iPad around if he wants to play games he can only find on the app store.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2019
I would think that if it were not for my experience with multiple other devices which act in a similar fashion including iPads, iPhones, Macbook laptops. I've previously had them look at an iPad mini 4 and my iPhone 13 pro max and both times, after resetting and troubleshooting they said were functioning normally even though they acknowledged the slowdowns, in particular the mini 4. I would normally take it into an Apple store if I had extra time to waste, but I already know it's going to be the same thing.

The slowdowns and freezes are not all the time, sometimes it runs smoothly, there really doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as sometimes he has an intensive game backgrounded and it works fine, other times there isn't anything else running and it slows down. Couple that with the continued Screentime bugs where Screentime is nigh useless and I think a better course of action will be to just get my 6 year old a used SP3 and leave the iPad around if he wants to play games he can only find on the app store.
Then I'm guessing it's his games and that they are maximizing the RAM. But without any more information about the problem, or the games, I can't help you, and I'm not going to waste my time further .Thank you.

tsupersonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2022
NY
It exists to have a starting point to build higher prices for the better models. If the 9th gen didn't exist, curious what the price of the current 10th gen iPad would be...
Historically when one model comes out it replaces the next, and generally (not always) keeps the same price. In this case the iPad Gen10 is the successor to the Gen9, but obviously the new iPad comes at a higher price. The higher price isn’t really for the new design, or upgraded internals. It’s the cost of transitioning from Lightning to USB-C. Lightning is a proprietary standard where Apple makes money from MFI/selling Lightning accessories/etc.

If you need more historical pricing strategy, take a look at what happens when Apple releases a new iPhone models or previous iPad models.

Reactions: JustAnExpat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.