Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's A14 Outperforms New Snapdragon 888 Chip Coming in Future Android Phones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Qualcomm today shared benchmark results for the Snapdragon 888 SoC that will be used in flagship Android phones coming out in 2021, and it's not able to keep pace with the A14 chip in the iPhone 12 models, nor the A13 in the iPhone 11.

AnandTech compared Qualcomm's benchmarks to benchmarks of Apple's devices, with the iPhone winning out in Geekbench 5 and GFXBench tests.

The Snapdragon 888 chip earned a single-core score of 1,135 and a multi-core score of 3,794, while the iPhone 12 Pro with A14 chip earned a single-core score of 1,603 and a multi-core score of 4,187.

In the GFXBench test, which measures GPU performance, Samsung scored an 86 (in frames per second), compared to the iPhone 12 Pro's 102.24. Sustained performance is unknown as of yet and will depend on the chip's power consumption, but AnandTech believes the Snapdragon 888 could ultimately win out over the iPhone if power consumption is competitive.

While the Snapdragon 888 doesn't look like it'll match the peak performance scores of the A13 or A14 SoCs used in Apple's iPhones, sustained performance will depend quite a bit on the power consumption of the chip. If this lands in at between 4 and 4.5W, then the majority of flagship Android phones in 2021 will likely be able to sustain this peak performance figure and allow Qualcomm to regain the mobile performance crown from Apple. Otherwise if the chip has to significantly throttle, then 888 will probably fall short of retaking the crown. But even if that's the case, for Android users it shouldn't matter too much: the generational leap over 2020 phones would still be immense, and by far one of the largest GPU performance leaps Qualcomm has been able to achieve to date.
The Snapdragon 888 chip isn't quite performing at the level of the A13 or A14 chips from Apple, but it is a significant improvement over prior-generation Snapdragon chips used in current flagship Android smartphones. CPU performance is up 25 percent and GPU performance is up 35 percent.

AnandTech says that as these benchmarks were provided by Qualcomm and not independently obtained, we have to trust that Qualcomm's numbers are accurate, but the site expects the figures to be "accurate and reproduced in commercial devices."

Article Link: Apple's A14 Outperforms New Snapdragon 888 Chip Coming in Future Android Phones

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
Pretty well known by now that Qualcomm designs for sustained performance, with lower power requirements, particularly with the Adreno GPU. Apple has always been better at quick performance bursts, which helps with things like app launches. But Qualcomm excels at sustained performance activities like gaming, with little or no throttling of the CPU+GPU.

Slightly different approaches, but both companies are top shelf in this category.

Comment

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
I am curious what are the real-world benefits to the average iPhone user for a faster CPU? I am still using XS Max and really have not seen an advantage to upgrade in my case. That doesn't mean one exists and perhaps I am missing it.

Comment

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
I am curious what are the real-world benefits to the average iPhone user for a faster CPU? I am still using XS Max and really have not seen an advantage to upgrade in my case. That doesn't mean one exists and perhaps I am missing it.
Longevity. These processors are impressive and certain Apps definitely benefit from the horsepower, but I think it’s more for future proofing. I think it’s why Apple supports their devices so long.

Comment

Misho Maisuradze

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
lol you have asnwered your question, advantage is that you are still using your XS Max because at that time it was powerful enough and it runs smooth even today and will run great extra couple of years!

Comment

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
They might not bet the A14, but they still look pretty competitive with Intel. Hopefully that means more ARM laptops in the Windows camp, too.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
the A13 in the 11 Pro is looking pretty good. Recently bought a used 11 Pro Max to replace my damaged XS Max (bought AppleCare this time around) Great value!
I'm using the same chip in my $450 iPhone SE, so it just goes to show how good Apple has been in designing their chips when the latest Qualcomm 888 is just coming around to the same level of performance now.

Comment

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
lol you have asnwered your question, advantage is that you are still using your XS Max because at that time it was powerful enough and it runs smooth even today and will run great extra couple of years!

I suppose I am looking for a more definitive reason if one exists. It doesn't sound like that is the case and indeed my current iPhone is still very good.

Comment

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2020
The import thing is..... it's Catching up! And that's awesome!
Because Apple is screwing up a lot lately and my latest Android phones are rock solid
I also don't like the direction of the Mac with ARM. So GO INTEL.

Comment

fourthtunz

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
The import thing is..... it's Catching up! And that's awesome!
Because Apple is screwing up a lot lately and my latest Android phones are rock solid
I also don't like the direction of the Mac with ARM. So GO INTEL.
I bought the cheapest M1 MacBook air, it doesn't run everything but Logix X pro rocks on it!
Everything opens fast, its battery lasts forever and no fan! It's amazing. I still use my Intel macs
but its a great direction that Apple is going in!

Comment

jmgregory1

macrumors 68020
The gap is definitely shrinking. It'll soon be down just to the quality of software and overall operating systems integration.
I think the other thing Apple is equally focused on, that most of their competitors are not, is energy efficiency. It’s one thing to make really powerful chips, but if they’re energy hogs that performance is coming at the expense of battery life, or the need for bigger batteries in devices. And of course, additional power also generates more heat, which in turn effects performance of the chip, battery and other systems within the device.

Comment

God of Biscuits

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Also keep in mind that single-threaded performance *SHOULD* have been the 888's most-likely chance of matching the A14, since all of the 888's high performance cores are not the same: the 888 has a primary high performance core that's the high performing high performance core (I know, you tell me), and 3 standard high performance cores, and then 4 high efficiency cores.

But it appears that any/each of the four of Apple's high performance cores out-performs the "hero" core of the 888. Is anyone surprised at this point?

Comment

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
About time for Qualcomm to (almost) catch up with Apple. I believe they didn’t name their new chip the ‘888’ for nothing. It must be quite a big jump in performance to warrant a big jump in the model number.

Reactions: The Barron
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.