Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgenrot

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2020
To be fair, the Qualcomm version of the core is conservative (to borrow Anandtech's phrase) compared to the max of what ARM said could be put in the core in terms of clock speeds and cache.
True. I guess we'll have to wait for another implementation of the X1 design to see what it really is capable of.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Qualcomm’s upcoming top-of-the-line CPU is struggling to catch up to last year’s iPhone CPU, never mind matching this year’s iPhone CPU. Heck, Apple’s “budget” model, the SE beats Qualcomm’s upcoming top-of-the-line CPU in that second graph.

Reactions: DeepIn2U and Rashy

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
and what does Apple do with all that power in their smartphones? Nothing, every generation that much faster than the previous one (though apparently specs don’t matter) and yet not even the ability to do real multitasking. Even in the iPad they are wasted.
There's a difference between specs don't matter and utilizing the specs you have efficiently to outperform the comparable competition. I'll let you figure that one out.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
True. I guess we'll have to wait for another implementation of the X1 design to see what it really is capable of

even a more aggressive design will probably still be behind in terms of single threaded performance, but it’s still a good step.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
I think for most people outside of MR land, the OS (and app ability) is the focal point in day to day use, not Geek Bench test scores.
That’s true for everyone and benchmarks don’t measure everything, but chip ability allows for different form factors, battery life, and cooler devices (which of course also helps with battery life).

Reactions: Apple_Robert

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
The 888 figures were provided by Qualcomm, without any context of thermal envelope, etc. it could have been actively cooled and plugged to the wall, surely a shipping product with real world thermal and power constrains wont look as good, we're probably looking at a A12 (a 2018 chip) equivalent in performance, which sounds about right.

More so, the A14 has been shipping in volume since september on the iPad Air, the SD 888 will have to compete with the A14Xs and A15s of the world in 2021.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I am curious what are the real-world benefits to the average iPhone user for a faster CPU? I am still using XS Max and really have not seen an advantage to upgrade in my case. That doesn't mean one exists and perhaps I am missing it.
My 6s is still perfectly usable, although I switched this year. That shows how well iPhones CPUs can last, well over 5 or 6 generations of OS upgrades and app updates. The real world benefits are the time you get to use your phone and overall performance over multiple years.

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
The 888 figures were provided by Qualcomm, without any context of thermal envelope, etc. it could have been actively cooled and plugged to the wall, surely a shipping product with real world thermal and power constrains wont look as good, we're probably looking at a A12 (a 2018 chip) equivalent in performance, which sounds about right.

More so, the A14 has been shipping in volume since september on the iPad Air, the SD 888 will have to compete with the A14Xs and A15s of the world in 2021.
It’s true that we don’t know the power characteristics of the 888. However, given the conservative nature of the X1 implementation and Qualcomm/ARM’s performance history relative to the A-series chips, I wouldn’t be too surprised if these numbers were fairly accurate to the eventual devices in the wild. But who knows. We’ll just have to see. ?

Reactions: haunebu

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
There's a difference between specs don't matter and utilizing the specs you have efficiently to outperform the comparable competition. I'll let you figure that one out.
What because you can’t? Clearly the specs don’t matter with the iPhone because aside from faster CPU which is utterly unused, the rest of the specs are typically far inferior to the competition.

And outperform in any meaningful way, nope.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My 6s is still perfectly usable, although I switched this year. That shows how well iPhones CPUs can last, well over 5 or 6 generations of OS upgrades and app updates. The real world benefits are the time you get to use your phone and overall performance over multiple years.
I am still using a 6S+ and I am amazed at how well iOS 14 runs on it. The phone does not feel sluggish at all and the UI is quite smooth.

Last edited:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Haha. Apparently you've never used an iPad...

You can have 2 apps running side by side, plus a 3rd in a floating window, plus a video playing in yet another floating window.
Well for the purposes of answering your initial comment, yes I do use an iPad, everyday and have had every incarnation since day one....but of course we were talking about the A CPU’s in iPhones.

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
What because you can’t? Clearly the specs don’t matter with the iPhone because aside from faster CPU which is utterly unused, the rest of the specs are typically far inferior to the competition.

And outperform in any meaningful way, nope.
I was a big Android fanboy before I was given a loaner iPhone from a relative when my Nexus died and had to be shipped away for 2-6 weeks to be repaired. These spec differences that you are complaining about make no difference whatsoever in actual use. Go ask a layman what specs their phone has that are better than an iPhone and they won't have an answer.

You know what does make a difference though?
Reliable battery life, and by that I mean, you don't have some random app destroying your battery life that you have to pin point, a fluid UI that doesn't stutter when opening and closing apps, and a warranty replacement system that doesn't suck.

As for CPU/GPU performance, games do utilize the chips, and as others have mentioned, iPadOS >>> Android tablets. The OS has plenty enough APIs to utilize the full power of the chips.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I was a big Android fanboy before I was given a loaner iPhone from a relative when my Nexus died and had to be shipped away for 2-6 weeks to be repaired. These spec differences that you are complaining about make no difference whatsoever in actual use. Go ask a layman what specs their phone has that are better than an iPhone and they won't have an answer.

You know what does make a difference though?
Reliable battery life, and by that I mean, you don't have some random app destroying your battery life that you have to pin point, a fluid UI that doesn't stutter when opening and closing apps, and a warranty replacement system that doesn't suck.

As for CPU/GPU performance, games do utilize the chips, and as others have mentioned, iPadOS >>> Android tablets. The OS has plenty enough APIs to utilize the full power of the chips.
I‘m not complaining about any specs on any platform, just replying to those that say that Apples CPU are always faster than the competition and I questioned what does Apple do with that power, especially in their phones.

For the record I use an iPhone (6S) An Android phone (A71) and an iPad (Air) none of the devices are slow or hinder me in anything I do....the iPad is the youngest device with an A12 in it.

We utterly agree with each other when you say “These spec differences that you are complaining about (I‘m not btw) make no difference whatsoever in actual use.”

• Angry

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
Pretty well known by now that Qualcomm designs for sustained performance, with lower power requirements, particularly with the Adreno GPU. Apple has always been better at quick performance bursts, which helps with things like app launches. But Qualcomm excels at sustained performance activities like gaming, with little or no throttling of the CPU+GPU.

Slightly different approaches, but both companies are top shelf in this category.
No. Just no. Qualcomm is one step from being a patent troll. Their chips are obviously, way behind. But we can pretend that it's all good. And that's not even considering how badly Android is optimized across what, 120 different pieces of mediocre hardware. Nothing to get from this except that Qualcomm is a second tier technology company building chips for second tier hardware manufacturers.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I am curious what are the real-world benefits to the average iPhone user for a faster CPU? I am still using XS Max and really have not seen an advantage to upgrade in my case. That doesn't mean one exists and perhaps I am missing it.
Photography.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I‘m not complaining about any specs on any platform, just replying to those that say that Apples CPU are always faster than the competition and I questioned what does Apple do with that power, especially in their phones.

For the record I use an iPhone (6S) An Android phone (A71) and an iPad (Air) none of the devices are slow or hinder me in anything I do....the iPad is the youngest device with an A12 in it.

We utterly agree with each other when you say “These spec differences that you are complaining about (I‘m not btw) make no difference whatsoever in actual use.”

My guess is the camera.

For example, the iPhone 12 Pro and pro max come with 6 gb of ram and my guess is that you need the extra ram in addition to the A14 processor to make a feature like pro res work properly.

The other benefit would be long term software support. Your 6s continues to get iOS 14 today, in part because the A9 chip continues to be a very capable processor even today.

So the main beneficiaries would be AI and on-device processing.

haunebu

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2004
California
No. Just no. Qualcomm is one step from being a patent troll. Their chips are obviously, way behind. But we can pretend that it's all good. And that's not even considering how badly Android is optimized across what, 120 different pieces of mediocre hardware. Nothing to get from this except that Qualcomm is a second tier technology company building chips for second tier hardware manufacturers.
Who's the troll?

Reactions: PC_tech

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That’s nowhere near true. Qualcomm has top-tier engineering talent and is a top-tier tech company. I don’t appreciate some of their licensing practices, and they’re significantly behind Apple wrt CPU design atm but they’ve got top notch talent and a ton of valuable IP. It’s a very innovative organization.

Last edited:

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
When apple has the fastest hardware what you can do with the software is the feature people will buy android for. Much easier to beat what apple offers if android can do something Apple doesn't even allow in their App Store. If it improves the speed of the experience they are used to then its worth it for them. I wonder if Apple can keep the speed up while only updating the hardware once a year.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
Imagine battery technology starts to take bigger leaps and take more advantage of the chip efficiencies. Week long batter life anyone?

My first cell phone in 2000 was the Nokia 5110 and it could go at least 5 days on a single charge. Those were the days....

• Love
Reactions: JGIGS and PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.