MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming high-end over-ear headphones (tentatively called AirPods Studio) could have a head and neck detection feature that's similar to the ear detection feature in the AirPods and AirPods Pro, according to a new report from 9to5Mac that cites people familiar with Apple's plans.

Over-Ear-ApplePhones-Cropped.png

In the AirPods and AirPods Pro, ear detection is designed to stop a song when the AirPods or removed, pause a song when a single AirPod is removed, or play a song when the removed AirPod is put back in the ear.

AirPods Studio will have similar sensors that will detect whether the headphones are on the head or the neck, presumably playing or pausing content when the headphones are worn on the head. When on the neck, the sensor could keep the music paused.

Another sensor will detect left and right ears for routing the audio channels, which means there will be no right or wrong side for wearing the AirPods Studio. Pairing the AirPods Studio with a Mac or iOS device will unlock custom equalizer settings with low, medium, and high frequency adjustments available.

Prior rumors have suggested Apple's high-end over-ear headphones will feature Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency Mode much like the current AirPods Pro, and an April report from Bloomberg indicated the headphones will have interchangeable ear pads and headband padding allowing for customization.

Apple may also sell the headphones in multiple materials, including a premium version with leather-like fabrics and a fitness-focused model with liter, more breathable materials.

A rumor from this weekend said that Apple could price the high-end over-ear headphones at $349, and that the name could be "AirPods Studio."

Article Link: Apple's 'AirPods Studio' Headphones May Feature Head and Neck Detection and Equalizer Settings

• Wow
Reactions: mazz0

mkldev

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2003
$350 for a pair of Bluetooth headphones? Seriously? That's more than my near-field monitors cost me. A good pair of recording headphones is O($70), or O($140) for high-isolation headphones that I can use for tracking, or while drumming. At $350, it would have to also do my laundry.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I wonder if they'll get it right this time.
Apple is not and audiophile oriented company.
Remember the iPod HiFi speaker? Steve said that was all we needed....

Apple is not an “audiophile” company but they have an extensive, solid track record of getting the details around sound output extremely “right”. From the extremely low output impedance of their mobile devices headphone jacks to the amazing performance of the $10 lightning to 3.5mm adapter, to the performance of the Homepod or the Airpod pros today. As an audio enthusiast for decades, when Apple does audio, I listen.

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida

How many years ago was that? HomePod. Macbook Pro. Beats. Airpod Pro. What are the chances it worse than their recent successes?

$350 for a pair of Bluetooth headphones? Seriously? That's more than my near-field monitors cost me. A good pair of recording headphones is O($70), or O($140) for high-isolation headphones that I can use for tracking, or while drumming. At $350, it would have to also do my laundry.

This isn't really that far out of line with premium noise canceling over ear headphones is it? Especially considering the H1/iCloud/Apple premium.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Another sensor will detect left and right ears for routing the audio channels, which means there will be no right or wrong side for wearing the AirPods Studio.

Game-changer. I'd pay extra for that.

This isn't really that far out of line with premium noise canceling over ear headphones is it? Especially considering the H1/iCloud/Apple premium.

It sure isn't. Don't know where OP was getting their magical prices, but right or wrong, the list on Bose QC35s is $349. These will likely sound better and be WAY more integrated with Apple devices.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Bruh it’s been a long time since the iPod HiFi. Since then Apple has bought the Beats brand, released the HomePod, AirPods and updated several Beats.

This has probably been in development for a long time. I’d say they have a little bit of experience in the audio field by now....

ALSO: I thought it was great when Lightning was released and rightside up/down was eliminated. It would be awesome to have the same concept with these headphones and you can put them on anyway without looking for a button or L/R.

Reactions: Dave245

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
Features head and neck detection. Feature absent: brain detection.
High end head phones ≠ wireless and $350.

• Haha
Reactions: elbowrm

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Article quote:

Another sensor will detect left and right ears for routing the audio channels, which means there will be no right or wrong side for wearing the AirPods Studio.“

That’s totally Apple-esque to Implement something like this. It’s the small features to the user experience that separates the competition.

iphonehype

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
I’d be interested to see how this competes with my Bose QC35 and I believe Bose currently leading in ANC!

iphonehype

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Yeah that’ll be the true test.

Buttt judging from the AirPod Pros, I think these new headphones will have excellent ANC. The AirPod Pros are small and do such a good job at it.

true, the question is how much better ANC can get and how much they’ve improved it compared to Bose I guess. It’ll be very interesting. I tried the Bose 700s and they where pretty awesome but didn’t fancy spending anymore money as I was waiting to see what Apple does. I feel pretty worth for Bose!

Reactions: newyorksole

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
$350 is pricey but on par with Boses’s QC35 IIs, NC700 and the Sony 1000-whatevers.

Wait, you expected Apple to come out with something cheaper than its competitors?!

Reactions: TropN

mkldev

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2003

Oh, sorry, with "Studio" in the name, I assumed these were actually intended for audiophile use, not airplane travel. Noise canceling is the antithesis of good sound quality, because if you need it, you've already lost the battle. :)

I've never had much luck with noise canceling at any price. It's a gimmick.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Oh, sorry, with "Studio" in the name, I assumed these were actually intended for audiophile use, not airplane travel. Noise canceling is the antithesis of good sound quality, because if you need it, you've already lost the battle. :)

I've never had much luck with noise canceling at any price. It's a gimmick.

I think we’re largely at the point of passing that threshold. A few years ago it could reasonably still be argued. The Sony WH-1000xm3’s started to change that with good sound (if a bit boring) and excellent ANC. The Airpod Pro’s are good enough to seriously impress me - as someone who was an Etymotic die-hard for close to 15 years and owned most of the high end Shure models, and a handful of boutique IEM’s at one point or another. I still have many thousands of dollars of headphone equipment connected to my computer. Yet most of the time I choose the Airpod Pro’s today because the sound is outstanding (warm, full midrange with thumping bass and spacious, non-fatiguing highs) in a package of absolute silence and utter convenience.

michaelant

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2006
If they're going to include custom equalizer settings for sound, they should include the ability to customize your level of ANC. But, I kinda doubt they're going to do either, doesn't sound like Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.