Apple's AirPower Wireless Charging Mat Could Be Available to Buy Next Month

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will begin selling its AirPower wireless charging mat next month, according to Japanese website Mac Otakara. The publication has spoken to "reliable sources" who have apparently confirmed a claim made earlier in February by The Apple Post that the wireless accessory will go on sale in Apple retail stores sometime in March, although the specific date still remains unclear.

[​IMG]

Announced by Apple in September, AirPower is an oval-shaped white charging mat featuring Qi-compatible networking technology that will allow it to charge multiple devices at once. Along with an iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, or iPhone X, and the Apple Watch Series 3, the AirPower charges AirPods thanks to a new wireless charging AirPods case that's also set to be released sometime soon.

According to the original rumor, Apple intends to make the AirPower mat available to purchase concurrently at Best Buy and other Authorized Apple Resellers alongside its own retail stores. The Apple Post also claimed that in addition, Apple retail stores will stock the updated AirPods wireless charging case on the same day, although Mac Otakara's own sources make no mention of this.

Mac Otakara has connections to the Asian supply chain and Asian accessory manufacturers, making it a typically trusted source for Apple product rumors. That said, the publication does not have a perfect record and has shared inaccurate info on occasion, so it's best not to take the latest report as fact until backed up by other sources.

Right now our best guess is that Apple's AirPower wireless charging mat will cost around $199 in the United States, based on a price listing for the accessory that appeared on a Polish website in November.

Article Link: Apple's AirPower Wireless Charging Mat Could Be Available to Buy Next Month

2. VSG macrumors regular

They can keep AirPower, since it will most likely be a lot more expensive than all the other chargers out there.

But for crying out loud, give us the wireless charging case for the AirPods!
    I‘m still holding out on buying them because of this. The „Hey Siri“-update isn’t as important to me, but having switched to wireless charging with my iPhone, I just don’t see the point in getting wired-charging wireless headphones.

3. Relentless Power, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I just can’t justify the likely price point for the AirPower around $200, unless you have all three devices with the wireless charging AirPod battery case, Series 3 Apple Watch and iPhone X/8, then perhaps. I would imagine the price point will start somewhere around the $200 mark.

However if somebody just had an iPhone 8 or X, then there are other suitable wireless charging docks on the market for a cheaper price point.

4. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

If only it would work with Apple Watch series 1 and 2 we would get two. Now I guess we will wait till we get new watches in a couple years.:(

5. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

it'll most likely come out at the same time as with airpower

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Something else, Apple should have had the AirPower ready for release along with the AirPod wireless charging battery case before the holidays. That would have been a huge accessory as a selling point for those who are considering to upgrade for those products and could take advantage of the Airpower.

It just seems scattered with the Series 3 Apple Watch and iPhone X/8 already being released, then having the AirPod wireless charging battery case and AirPower being an entirely separate release.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68020

It doesn't work with my Watch series 1, so the only compelling reason to buy it would be the ability to charge two iPhones at the same time. They talked about multiple devices, but you always see a phone, a watch and airpods in the pictures, so I'm not sure it will work with two phones at once.
    And let's see how much they charge for it, if I can buy 3 or 4 good third party accessories at the same price why should I buy one of those?

8. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

Genuinely don’t think this is going to cost more than $100, but I await correction upon release. There’s no other chargers costing even close to $199 at the moment. Ikea has one that does 3 devices for £60 in th UK so I can’t see it being that much more

9. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

$200 for something that looks like an afterthought? Not a chance. Maybe if it resembled the slick designs of Apple’s mainstream products but not while it looks like a mini hot water bottle...

10. iPadified macrumors regular

I think, this is only a convinient fix for the real problem, namely poor battery performance such as slow charging. Give me a battery that charges in less than a minute (perhaps minutes for a MBP) and still keeps the device running for a day-if that takes a cable due to high energy transfer rates, it is price I am willing to pay.

11. VSG macrumors regular

Got that one, hooked up the Apple Watch charger to the USB-port with a little stand for under 10 £ and am completely satisfied. But knowing Apple, I‘d reckon the AirPower being 150 at least. 200 seems more likely (or 149 without tax so 179 in Europe with tax).

12. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

I think this is meant to be smarter. IKEA’s has 3 specific zones but this looks to be smart in terms of targeting products wherever they are. Still absurd price though.

And it looks like one of those science toys you played with as a kid (if you were a loser like me) that you boiled in a pot of water to make it liquid and then clicked a metal disc that made it instantly solidify. Such a boring design. I’d probably pay $150 if it had some actual thought out into the design. Reminds me of that “pregnant lady” battery pack Apple brought out a few years ago.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2018 ---
    There are some interesting battery technologies being researched that can do amazing things like that but they’re still largely experimental. I wouldn’t expect mainstream use for another 5 to 10 years.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is Apple we are talking about. They will charge a premium for this device, and it’s proprietary that It can charge all three devices at once. That said, at minimum, the AirPower likely start at $150 and the most would seemingly be $200.

14. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

Agreed! 3x is better than 3 in 1 because you can place them round your house. I don’t want a bulky thing to carry round. I’m trying to buy IKEA’s wooden single charger (maybe buy 2 of them) but it’s always out of stock.

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

And you will still need to buy the wireless case for air pods to make it worth it

Expensive but this is tech that isn’t available anywhere else where you can charge your watch too

16. Ifti macrumors 68000

At that price for a wireless charger, I'll pass!!
    Will stick to my Mophie for now! I could buy 4 Mophies and place them around the house for the price of 1 Apple charging mat!

17. fermat-au macrumors 6502

"... Could Be Available to Buy Next Month" ... That is only 6 months since Apple announced it.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That’s how Apple is though. They announce things way in advance. The Apple Watch was first announced in September 2014, but launched in April 2015, the HomePod was announced June 2017, but launched in February 2018, and then the Airpower was announced in September 2017, and reportedly will launch in March 2018.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I’m sure Apple expect this to sell well as we have seen how great the sales have been for series 3

I will buy this as I do like to have the ability to charge my watch with my phone side by side and i often have my AirPods by my bed as I listen to music and YouTube vis my iPad so to put them all together and charge them will be ideal. At the moment I just use the cable that came with my watch and doesn’t look very neat just using that by my bed.

20. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

I have the iPhone X and I’m going to upgrade to the Apple Watch Series 4 when it’s announced later this year so I’m assuming it will work with all future iPhone’s and Apple Watch’s, i wonder tho if when Apple release the new AirPods they will come with the case that can charge wirelessly? If so I’ll hold off on buying the charging case until the new AirPods come out.

21. fokmik macrumors 68030

so, can you charge 2 iphones as the same time on airpower?

22. recoil80 macrumors 68020

And if you want to charge more than one phone they have this product
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40289829/
    Not sure I'd buy that model, I'd rather buy 2 or 3 single chargers and have one in the living room, one in the kitchen and one on my nightstand.
    The triple charger comes in handy when you have a family dinner, a birthday or you invite friends and some of them ask you if they can charger their phones, you put that stuff into the living room and everyone has the phone in charge and nearby.

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I believe so

The air pods will use the same wireless charging as a normal qi so you could put two iPhones and a series 3 I imagine

24. fermat-au macrumors 6502

That is modern Apple. Announce, wait, ship. With the wireless charging Apple is "late to the game" so there was no competitive advantage in announcing so far in advance of shipping. It was likely the smart thing to do, some people may wait to buy the Apple Airpower mat, instead of the competitor's product.
    I do wonder why Apple couldn't ship at the same time as the iPhone 8 or X? The products that take advantage of it.

25. dilbert99 macrumors 68000