Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on Macs that use its custom Apple-designed Apple Silicon chips instead of Intel chips, but Apple has committed to continuing to support Thunderbolt, reports The Verge.

thunderbolt-3-ports-macbook-pro.jpg

In a statement, an Apple spokesperson said that Apple's upcoming machines will offer support for Intel's Thunderbolt USB-C standard.
"Over a decade ago, Apple partnered with Intel to design and develop Thunderbolt, and today our customers enjoy the speed and flexibility it brings to every Mac. We remain committed to the future of Thunderbolt and will support it in Macs with Apple silicon."
Apple at WWDC unveiled its plans for Macs equipped with Apple Silicon chips, the first of which is set to come out before the end of 2020. Apple eventually plans to transition all of its Macs to Apple Silicon, a process that the company says will take two years.

According to Apple, Apple Silicon will bring a new level of performance with more powerful Macs that are also more energy efficient with better battery life.

Article Link: Apple's Arm-Based Macs With Apple Silicon Chips Will Support Thunderbolt

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London
Now let's hope they get rid of the awful Touch Bar.

I love it. Use it all the time. Admittedly I have some awesome setup for apps with Better Touch Tool.

it's interesting that some people hate on this... just because it doesn't fit their needs or they can't be bothered to find out what it can do....

That said I would love for apple to have an OLED keyboard like the Optimus Maximus. Completely customisable for every app. shows tools images into photo shop for example.

Last edited:

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
It would be pretty dumb and a downgrade if they didn't include thunderbolt with ARM Macs.

Apple is working on Macs that use its custom Apple-designed Apple Silicon chips instead of Intel chips, but Apple has committed to continuing to support Thunderbolt, reports The Verge.

thunderbolt-3-ports-macbook-pro.jpg

In a statement, an Apple spokesperson said that Apple's upcoming machines will offer support for Intel's Thunderbolt USB-C standard.

Apple at WWDC unveiled its plans for Macs equipped with Apple Silicon chips, the first of which is set to come out before the end of 2020. Apple eventually plans to transition all of its Macs to Apple Silicon, a process that the company says will take two years.

According to Apple, Apple Silicon will bring a new level of performance with more powerful Macs that are also more energy efficient with better battery life.

Article Link: Apple's Arm-Based Macs With Apple Silicon Chips Will Support Thunderbolt

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm really glad to hear this, especially since it means people can now invest safely in Thunderbolt peripherals without the fear they won't be compatible with future Macs.

Apple was smart to clear this up; the lack of Thunderbolt on the developer test machine along with Thunderbolt being Intel tech really scared up some uncertainty. This is not the time to hide behind their veil of secrecy on questions like this.
[automerge]1594248050[/automerge]
Given Thunderbolt's notable omission from the DTK, I'm surprised they didn't announce this from the get-go.
Yep. It makes sense that they wouldn't have had time to implement it for the DTK but nobody knew absolutely for sure. Now we can relax.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
You sure?

Like ARM, couldn't Apple have a license to make anything they want with TB4 and configure it for Apple Silicon?

"This requirement would effectively make Thunderbolt 4 exclusive to Intel processors only."

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Don't understand why this was a surprise when Apple designed and developed Thunderbolt with Intel.

EDIT: I take that back...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazy and endlessike

johngwheeler

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I come from a land down-under...
Don't understand why this was a surprise when Apple designed and developed Thunderbolt with Intel.

Yes, but Intel is the licence holder, and could, in theory at least, have withheld the use of the licence to Apple.

I have read that USB-C *can* include Thunderbolt-3 without a licence, but that TB3 support is one of the optional items in the USB4 standard.

Reactions: scott523

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Good. Now all the nervous folks that freaked out over the DTK not having it can relax (even though it should have been obvious that Apple would include a feature that they themselves helped design).

it's interesting that some people hate on this... just because it doesn't fit their needs or they can't be bothered to find out what it can do....

You have to look at it in order to use it (which is really annoying for touch-typists), it's only available on some of their laptops, and it's useless if you use an external keyboard. It's a stupid feature that just raises the cost of their products. It should definitely be dumped. It actually makes me less productive when I'm using the laptop's built-in keyboard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.