Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4cloo

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
Los Angeles
I love it. Use it all the time. Admittedly I have some awesome setup for apps with Better Touch Tool.

it's interesting that some people hate on this... just because it doesn't fit their needs or they can't be bothered to find out what it can do....

That said I would love for apple to have an OLED keyboard like the Optimus Maximus. Completely customisable for every app. shows tools images into photo shop for example.

I really tried to love it, but it’s useless and everyone with the same laptop I know have the same opinion. Good to hear you like it - but it feels that’s more an exception.

It supposed to be a faster way to work, but you are staring at the monitor and not the keyboard, you constantly have to shift focus away from your work to look at the touch bar and use it. That’s a loss of focus and time.
Instead, just finding the actual element on the screen to do the same thing takes LESS time, or using keyboard shortcuts also work fine because they are tactical and don’t change shape or form all the time.
Another really poor characteristic is that once you work with an external monitor and have the laptop closed, the Touch Bar is the one element that differentiates the most in how you use your computer: the keyboard, mouse or trackpad survive as external devices.

The Touch Bar is one of the most stupidest things Apple has brought to a device the last 5 years or so. It totally doesn’t do what it promises and feels more like an R&D project than an actual product feature.

Reactions: Spectrum

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I'm referring less to adults in that and more so to children and teenagers.

Who are even more digitally native, certainly teenagers at least. I'm really not sure what your problem with people treating the device that basically is their portal for interacting with the larger world like it's, well, important and critical to how their lives work - which it is.

KernelG

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Hardware makers will need to test their stuff on prototype "real" hardware (or wait until the real machine) and hopefully Apple will support them there.

Yes, that's what I said.

Frankly, though, if you're doing audio (or other pro work) I wouldn't plan on queueing up to be the first to get an ARM Mac, any more than you should rush to install the latest MacOS on release day, given that it usually takes a few months for all the plug-in and driver makers to even catch up with a new OS release...

Frankly, you don't say! I finally upgraded to Catalina last week, and where is Universal Audio? Their latest hardware and software works "fine" with Catalina, some glitches, but is still not officially supported. This is why I would like (like, not demand) all of these smaller, hardware-dependent developers to be able to get started "sooner rather than later" (of course, not today). It's not because of release day, it's because audio professionals know it will still be far beyond that. These devs are going to need every head start they can get.

I'm a happy Apple pro user, actually looking forward to high-end ARM Macs even though recording is going to be a rough spot for the transition, that's all. Hoping, with fingers crossed, for anything that will smooth it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.