Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know if Boot Camp supports Windows 11 on recent Intel Macs?

If it does, it would be through the existing Windows 10 support since Windows 11 won't run on an Intel Mac via BootCamp because of the missing TPM issue* so Apple would not be bothering to make it Windows 11 compatible or include Windows 11 drivers.

* - There are evidently workarounds for that and Microsoft has (for the moment) relaxed the TPM requirement to allow pre-TPM machines to run Windows 11 now that Windows 10 is moving out of active support.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This isn't on Apple. Microsoft has to legally license Windows on ARM and as of yet have declined to do so. Hopefully soon whatever agreement between Qualcomm and Microsoft will be over.

I know about that part too but I still can't see Apple releasing Boot Camp for ARM Macs and officially supporting dual booting.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Apple must need to move their Intel Macs. There's no other reason they would continue to spend money on BC support. There's always a financial motive there.
The tricky part is that some people have been relying on Macs to run both macOS and Windows for nearly 15 years now. This is quite the blow to those who need both. If you need any sort of GPU performance, virtualization is not an option.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Apple must need to move their Intel Macs. There's no other reason they would continue to spend money on BC support. There's always a financial motive there.

They only have two families left they can move (mini and Pro) and neither are big sellers.

Intel Macs have long in-service lives so it is to Apple's benefit (from a PR standpoint, if nothing else) to provide at least some minimal ongoing support for a feature they originally touted as an important reason to consider an Intel Mac in the first place. :)

mikeyy00

Suspended
Dec 22, 2019
Azure just mentioned you can get an ARM instance now with various Linux flavours including Windows Pro.

Makes me think the Qualcomm exclusivity is over now.

So, it if is.. it’s really just on Apple to write some drivers. Fingers crossed. The VM version of Windows ARM has been impressive with its ability to run all my older productivity x86 apps. Plus games >3-5 years.

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I wonder if this finally fixes the driver issues where a Bluetooth headset will only do audio and no microphone on 16 inch MacBook Pros

Reactions: tinygoblin

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Because a lot of intel Macs are still some of the best Windows PCs out there... maybe
There are tons...or millions? of Macs on Intel silicon out there and will be for maybe 5 more years. I have three Macs. a late 2014 (this one mini - intel), a MacBook White from 2008 I use for some stuff like old QuickTime and Handbrake, and also. 2008 MacBook Pro with an SSD and NVIDIA graphics. I also have a Motorola RAZR, an ancient Samsung phone, an Apple Web Camera (before they called them webcams) it's old but damn, older and in better shape than my black and decker drill and batteries, three former cars, craftsmanship and good building is eternal.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
There are tons...or millions? of Macs on Intel silicon out there and will be for maybe 5 more years. I have three Macs. a late 2014 (this one mini - intel), a MacBook White from 2008 I use for some stuff like old QuickTime and Handbrake, and also. 2008 MacBook Pro with an SSD and NVIDIA graphics. I also have a Motorola RAZR, an ancient Samsung phone, an Apple Web Camera (before they called them webcams) it's old but damn, older and in better shape than my black and decker drill and batteries, three former cars, craftsmanship and good building is eternal.
I wouldn’t be surprised if next year’s OS is the last supporting intel processors, despite the fact that there are so many out there. Seems harsh, but Apple makes no promises in terms of OS software support. I can’t see them wanting to continue to develop for Intel Macs once all are discontinued from sale. Maybe they’ll receive a couple extra years worth of security updates or something instead.

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if next year’s OS is the last supporting intel processors, despite the fact that there are so many out there. Seems harsh, but Apple makes no promises in terms of OS software support. I can’t see them wanting to continue to develop for Intel Macs once all are discontinued from sale. Maybe they’ll receive a couple extra years worth of security updates or something instead.
But they are still supporting Bootcamp? I expect about 3 years of new MacOS versions after the Pro is discontinued. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have made commitments to their enterprise customers.

Reactions: SteveW928

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I ran Windows 11 successfully on an Intel Mac under bootcamp. There is a hack where you create a new ISO using the bootloader from Win 10, but Win 11 is the delivery package.

There is also a reg trick you can use, without messing with ISOs.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is never a bootcamp for M1. First of all, there is no "official" ARM release of Windows. For now, MS allows downloads, but they could pull that at any second. Second, Apple dumped Intel because it was holding them back. I don't think Apple wants you to run Windows on M1s.

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
No mac is Windows 11 compatible.
No true!
It is running perfectly officially. There is a special .bat file which download Windows 11 officially from Microsoft server and update the Windows 11.
1. Install windows 10 via bootcamp.
2. Log in to windows 10.
3. Star-up file .bat
4. You will be prompted with Windows 11 Pro update.
5. Windows 11 Pro will be officially downloaded and updated.
6. Enjoy all further official updates!

Last edited:

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
Does anyone know if Boot Camp supports Windows 11 on recent Intel Macs?
There is a special .bat file which downloads Windows 11 officially from Microsoft server and updates Windows 10 to Windows 11.
1. Install windows 10 via bootcamp.
2. Log in to windows 10.
3. Star-up file .bat
4. You will be prompted with Windows 11 update.
5. Windows 11 will be officially downloaded and updated.
6. Enjoy all further official updates!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Ever since bootcamp came out all those years ago it was always a poor experience with the touchpad, could this mean they have finally decided to sort it out! I am shocked.
LOL, you mean "right at the end"...?
TBH, I fear Boot Camp will become a thing of the past quite quickly after the last new Intel Mac has been shipped. We still have a Mac mini and Mac Pro to go...

mielie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2020
The tricky part is that some people have been relying on Macs to run both macOS and Windows for nearly 15 years now. This is quite the blow to those who need both. If you need any sort of GPU performance, virtualization is not an option.
Have you tried Windows 11 on an M1 running Parallel’s? If not you might be in for a surprise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.