Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aloyouis

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
That's exactly what they mean. Not only paper, but brainstorming on a whiteboard, or Smartboard or even in the air. The naysayers so far haven't really read the article. The ability to change tips for various purposes, the ability to share your written material in real time with numerous iPads at the same meeting on any surface, etc. Lots of possibilities.

WHITE BOARDS!!!!!

I am constantly taking pictures of the whiteboards after meetings to "save" my notes and thoughts and diagrams! This would be GREAT!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
And this is better than a Surface Pro 3 running OneNote in what way?

No. One of the greatest benefits of digital notes/sketch is the ability to erase and reformat without page wear. This process is an improvement on smart pen products that already exist

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
One does not "win" a patent. It is not a competition.
One does "earn" a patent through much hard work.

Apple earned their patent. Apple did not win it.

I find this comment odd. In the business world, the word "win" is often used to describe that one has earned a new client or contract. "Big client win" or "we won that contract and it was a bitter fight." I think it's not inappropriate to use "win" in that same context with patents.

aloyouis

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Does this mean we'll be seeing a stylus on iDevices in the future? Seems like a 180 degree change in direction from their prior position.

Doubt it. It means there will be a separate product that will work with iOS and OS X.

I LIKE IT.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
People still want to hand write stuff? Give me a keyboard any day.

I never even bothered to learn to write properly at school in the 1980s, because I knew from Star Trek and innumerable Sci-Fi books, as well as the half hour per week of typing lessons (alternating weeks on a typewriter and a BBC Microcomputer) that I'd never need to when I grew up. It took longer than I expected for the perfect PDA to appear, and I thought it wouod be something other than a cellphone. Eventually the future happened, and I now work with an iPhone and a laptop, and I can type more quickly and accurately on either than I could ever write.

Drawing is another matter, but I was never interested in that anyway. It sounds great for those who need it, exactly what a pen should be in the 21st century.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Another patent? How many is it now?

Before getting all huffy about how this is "obvious", why don't you tell us the products I can buy TODAY that offer this functionality...

People have been talking about smartpens for years and there are products with bits of this functionality (Livescribe --- but requires special paper, Penveu --- but the device is huge and does not really match what Apple is suggesting here, especially the tablet use).

If Apple patents an idea that no-one else is actually offering as a product for sale, then WTF is your complaint?

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
Don't know so I'm asking.

Would something like this make it easier to steal someone's signature and use it to sign forged checks and documents?

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
don't they already sell pens like this?? i've seen them in the apple store. they are like $80.

how about instead you update the ipad to be on par with the surface?? even if it's just a pro model and keep the regular ipads too. 13" 4k screen that runs OSX, carries 256 and 512 flash drives. has an apple version of wacom's pen software. usb and card slot video out. great cameras for facetime. extra, programable button that can save their settings for each program. something that can truely replace a tablet and laptop. i would pay a premium price for this. but we just get the same ipad we've been getting for 5? years now with modest upgrades.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
If the iPad is ever to be taken seriously as a productivity tool for business, it will need proper pen support.

Without a stylus for accurate sketching, drawing, and illustration, the ipad is a half completed product.

Designers, Architects, and Engineers do not work in fingerpaints.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Giligiligiligili... A new kid of stylus that can work along Watch and IDevices...
I think its just end of year tickle to Microsoft (Surface) and Samsung (Note) by Apple :D

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Livescribe has maybe the worst software I've ever used, which is why I promptly returned it

Shame because the hardware is great but crippled by pathetic software

I've never had a problem with it. When were you using the pen/software?

The Barron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Central California Coast
Handwriting will never be "dead." And the ability to capture notes, diagrams, etc as you write them/draw them can be invaluable. Especially to students.

Absolutely. Perhaps in 300+ years humans may stop writing with the hand and transfer thoughts telepathically, but until then, this seems like a very cool technology to have available.

True, white, Smartboards do this now along with a few other apps & devices, but with Apple behind it, it appears to be another advance for the company aka revenue generator. $$$

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find this comment odd. In the business world, the word "win" is often used to describe that one has earned a new client or contract. "Big client win" or "we won that contract and it was a bitter fight." I think it's not inappropriate to use "win" in that same context with patents.

There's a difference. In the example you give, the "win" often refers to beating competition for the sale. So indeed, it is considered a win with the competition being the "loser."

In regards to patents - I don't really take issue with either using earned or won. Especially if the patent was challenged or had to go through several phases.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I never even bothered to learn to write properly at school in the 1980s, because I knew from Star Trek and innumerable Sci-Fi books, as well as the half hour per week of typing lessons (alternating weeks on a typewriter and a BBC Microcomputer) that I'd never need to when I grew up. It took longer than I expected for the perfect PDA to appear, and I thought it wouod be something other than a cellphone. Eventually the future happened, and I now work with an iPhone and a laptop, and I can type more quickly and accurately on either than I could ever write.

Drawing is another matter, but I was never interested in that anyway. It sounds great for those who need it, exactly what a pen should be in the 21st century.

Congratulations on your math and science free education.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I've never had a problem with it. When were you using the pen/software?

Just recently actually, Livescribe 3. The entire interface is not intuitive. I read so many bad reviews and didn't want to believe it so I bought it anyway. The pen does what it's supposed to, just software is a pain to use and even ugly.

I'll keep an eye out for a 2.0 revision and I'll dive back in.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
There's a difference. In the example you give, the "win" often refers to beating competition for the sale. So indeed, it is considered a win with the competition being the "loser."

In regards to patents - I don't really take issue with either using earned or won. Especially if the patent was challenged or had to go through several phases.

OK..I see your point. Yes the context is slightly different.

voltaire2030

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
If the iPad is ever to be taken seriously as a productivity tool for business, it will need proper pen support.

Without a stylus for accurate sketching, drawing, and illustration, the ipad is a half completed product.

Designers, Architects, and Engineers do not work in fingerpaints.

I will say for all business and student alike... Job may be right for the Iphone not using a stylus but a Ipad is a totally different animal...

For my part I am a professional and I take zillions of notes. End result, piles of notes that became close to useless because I cannot refer to it quickly... I started using the Jot Touch stylus and Evernote with my Ipad and I am very close to be paperless and I find that I became more productive because of that switch. But the current Ipad is not designed to be use effectively with a stylus. If the rumor of the Ipad Pro is true and aim to the student & professional crowd with a stylus, I will buy this in a heartbeat.

This is why I didn't change my Ipad 3 for the Air 2, I am waiting to see if the Ipad Pro will have those features. If not, I may be force to look closer to the Surface 3 ..

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
But..... Handwriting is dead and stuff..... wth??

Theres gotta be some hidden functionality in here right? Like the non mechanical click, pressure sensitive trackpad patent that became the Watch screen?

Not dead. I prefer to take notes by hand sometimes, and there's plenty of research that shows that handwriting engages your brain differently than typing.

Here's one: http://pss.sagepub.com/content/25/6/1159

People who reduce the choice of handwriting vs. typing to which is "faster" are really missing a large part of the picture. Note-taking and synthesizing information are an essential part of learning and working.

Here's a real-world example: I spend a lot of time reading and marking up scripts, much of the time in a live table-read kind of situation. I can make very quick notes as I go without really taking myself out of the flow of the scene, and I would not be able to do this if I was typing. A lot of these notes are just marks, arrows, very very quick annotations that are in a sense non-verbal. Maybe a couple words here and there, but I'm really treating the script as a working document. If I tried marking up a damned PDF, I'd spend half my time clicking and scrolling -- and that aside, just the rigidity of TYPING is enough to distract from the thing that's being read. Ever try to type an email while you're on the phone with someone? It doesn't work very well. You start missing things they say.

Now, later on, just for my process, it's also essential for me to synthesize those things into actionble notes on rewrites. That I do on my Mac.

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just recently actually, Livescribe 3. The entire interface is not intuitive. I read so many bad reviews and didn't want to believe it so I bought it anyway. The pen does what it's supposed to, just software is a pain to use and even ugly.

I'll keep an eye out for a 2.0 revision and I'll dive back in.

Ah ok. I can't speak to the LS3 as I've only ever used the Echo and Sky versions which, to me, haven't had any software issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.