Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Business Insider relays a rumor that Apple COO Tim Cook could be leaving Apple for the CEO spot at HP. Business Insider tracked the source of the rumor as investor gossip site Fly on the Wall.
The rumor seems to have emanated from Fly On The Wall, a site that serves up gossip to the investing community.
Therefore, we aren't buying this one just yet.
The rumor has affected Apple's stock price causing a $20 drop at the opening of the market today. Tim Cook has been considered one of the possible successors to Steve Jobs for the CEO position at Apple.

Article Link: Apple's COO Tim Cook to Leave Apple for HP?

jbcraigs

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Please check the facts.

There was never a $20 drop. Lowest it went today morning was $282 which was $10 lower than previous day and then quickly rose to $286.

The drop is primarily due to data expected from European banks which is impacting the whole market. This rumor might be a factor too but is in now way as big as it is being made out to be

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
That could be an important move, someone who really gets how apple work from the inside could be very good at making some competitive products that actually compete with the experience rather than trying to match or beat specs like they often do now.

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
There was never a $20 drop. Lowest it went today morning was $282 which was $10 lower than previous day and then quickly rose to $286.

The drop is primarily due to data expected from European banks which is impacting the whole market. This rumor might be a factor too but is in now way as big as it is being made out to be

My broker reports the low was $275 at open, but it rose sharply back to 286 immediately afterward.

Macatak60

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
Would hate to hear that

Time from my neck of the woods and is an auburn university graduate like myself. He's an avid auburn football follower with a suite at our stadium. Would hate to see him leave apple

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

I know Apple detractors like to points out drops, pretending the fault lies somewhere in Apple's camp even when if it's a market-wide condition, but the Apple enthusiast sites too?

I'm not sure exactly what he sees in HP such that he can do better than at Apple.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You never know with these big business types; but given HP's rocky history with regard to CEO it's hard to fathom somebody leaving Apple for HP.

Although maybe that would draw a guy with Cook's rep - he helped save Apple when Jobs was possibly dying, perhaps he'd like an even bigger challenge.

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
I know Apple detractors like to points out drops, pretending it's Apple's fault when if it's a market-wide condition, but the Apple enthusiast sites too?

Reuters and other reputable agencies were not reporting the rumor, but rags like StreetInsider were.

Speculation is the devil that gets you in the end, because the market makers are holding all the cards.

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
Follow the money...

Stock price manipulation at its very best. Jim Cramer has repeatedly said Apple stock is the easiest and most manipulated one out there.

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
Stock price manipulation at its very best. Jim Cramer has repeatedly said Apple stock is the easiest and most manipulated one out there.

Jim Cramer is correct (about that and little else), but he's also a former hedge fund scumbag turned TV speculation jockey scumbag.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Tim is passionate about Apple. I'd be extremely surprised if this happened.

laughingboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002

Exactly. Just during the quarter end wrap up as the stock starts to gather speed prior to the Quarterly statements.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I don't believe it. Apple takes very good care of Tim and he is in the position to be CEO next more than likely.

Just not buying it...

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
If we assume those people in the running are equal as far as business intelligence I wouldn't be surprised if the ultimate factor is how well they present.

Tim Cook: Never been seen - has a fairly strong accent which could make understanding deifficult around the world.

Phil Schiller: Too nervous, constantly nodding on applause - just let the people clap Phil and carry on.

Scott Forstall - Crazy eyes kool-aid drinker - He legitimately frightens me when presenting and is ott about how excited he is at working on new features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.