Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Craig Federighi Confirms APFS Coming to Fusion Drives in a Future macOS High Sierra Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The initial version of macOS High Sierra released this morning limits the new Apple File System (APFS) to Macs that have all-flash built-in storage, excluding iMacs and Mac mini machines that feature Fusion Drives.

Apple announced the limitation last week in a support document that said the initial release would not allow Fusion Drives to be converted to APFS, implying future support, and now Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi has confirmed APFS will indeed be coming to Fusion Drives in a later update.

Federighi shared the info in an email sent to MacRumors reader Michiel, who asked if APFS would be added later.

"Yes, we plan to add support in a future update," replied Federighi.

Fusion Drives, available as a storage option for Apple's iMac and Mac mini desktop machines, combine a hard drive with flash storage to provide the speed of an SSD with the affordability of a standard hard drive. Frequently accessed files are stored using flash storage, while less frequently used files are moved to the hard drive.

The first macOS High Sierra beta released in June did include support for Fusion Drives and converted iMacs and Mac minis to APFS, but support was removed in subsequent betas and was not reimplemented, presumably due to stability problems and bugs with the feature.

Apple File System is a more modern file system than HFS+ and is optimized for solid state drives. It is safe and secure, offering crash protection, safe document saves, stable snapshots, simplified backups, and strong native encryption.

Developers who happened to install APFS on their machines have been provided with instructions for how to convert back to HFS+ for the time being.

Apple's macOS High Sierra press release also confirms the company's plans to introduce APFS support for Fusion Drives and standard HDDs, but Apple has not offered a timeline on when we can expect the APFS update to be released.

Article Link: Apple's Craig Federighi Confirms APFS Coming to Fusion Drives in a Future macOS High Sierra Update

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Sweet Jeebus. What isn't coming in a future update?:rolleyes: One could be forgiven for thinking Apple has adopted the video game industry's motto: Release now - patch later.
I can deal with that if it’s adding features rather than patching data destroying bugs. I’d rather roll out features as they’re ready over time than try to release “feature complete” and not quite get it right.

It’s not like I paid for anything here expecting a feature that isn’t ready.

Comment

maxmatic

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Well the macOS High Sierra beta update actually split my fusion drive in two. I have APFS because high Sierra doesn't even recognise that I even have a fusion drive anymore. What's more, the final build still shows incorrect free space in About this Mac. And since I'm already complaining boot camp is still broken...

Reactions: ipedro
Comment

Rychiar

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
This was supposed to come out last year and then they pushed it to high Sierra and now I can't even get it on my Mac I just bought this summer. so annoying. I don't even see any other reason to upgrade to high Sierra

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I can deal with that if it’s adding features rather than patching data destroying bugs. I’d rather roll out features as they’re ready over time than try to release “feature complete” and not quite get it right.

It’s not like I paid for anything here expecting a feature that isn’t ready.
To each his own. I typically purchase towards the end of the cycle, intro of the new product. At that point, everything's usually finished and sorted.

Comment

trusso

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2003
A lot of people are emailing Craig lately. I wonder if he's personally responding to these emails, or if he's just dictating to an assistant. After all, the man has other matters to attend to (I hope).

Reactions: Gorms
Comment

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
I'm glad I opted for pure SSD instead of Fusion drive and the complexity / heat it brings. Do need to free up some space on the SSD though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Admiral Ashik
Comment

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well, that explains my serious bugs since converting my Fusion Drive to APFS in High Sierra. My Mac will often suddenly run out of space even though there’s about 90GB on it and Time Machine stopped working. I lost my Lightroom catalog (thankfully had a backup).

Thankfully, most of my data is stored on an external RAID (HFS+) and on iCloud drive.

How do I safely convert back to HFS+?

Comment

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Well the macOS High Sierra beta update actually split my fusion drive in two. I have APFS because high Sierra doesn't even recognise that I even have a fusion drive anymore. What's more, the final build still shows incorrect free space in About this Mac. And since I'm already complaining boot camp is still broken...

I couldn’t do the revert because trying to setup a bootable usb stick failed when the console was asking for a password that (despite my well managed p/w documentation I can’t seem to supply.) So I am stuck on the penultimate public beta.

I think Apple did a very poor job of warning fusion drive owners prior to the public beta APFS upgrade and then compounded it by giving inadequate (for me at least) revision preocedures, then taking this long (and without an eta) to announce something is on the way.

I just hope that Apple, when this fix comes, does a decent job of documenting the upgrade so folks like me can do it successfully.

Reactions: Yojimbo007
Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Sweet Jeebus. What isn't coming in a future update?:rolleyes: One could be forgiven for thinking Apple has adopted the video game industry's motto: Release now - patch later.

On the contrary, Apple identified that APFS wasn't quite ready for Fusion drives, so it delayed it, instead of "releasing it now" (like in the betas) and patching later. They could have delayed APFS altogether, but there's little point if most people have SSDs these days.

This was supposed to come out last year and then they pushed it to high Sierra and now I can't even get it on my Mac I just bought this summer. so annoying. I don't even see any other reason to upgrade to high Sierra

It was never supposed to come out last year. Last year was only for developers, and you couldn't use it as a startup disk.

The other big reason to update is Metal 2 support for the UI, though I am not upgrading early. Letting the dust settle with APFS first.

Comment

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I wonder if RAID 0 is in this same group...

I tried to install 10.13 onto my Mac mini with striped SSD's and realized that it was a no-go

Comment

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I think Apple did a very poor job of warning fusion drive owners prior to the public beta APFS upgrade
They repeat over and over not to install betas on 'production' hardware. That means, only install it on computers that you are willing to wipe the HDD without a 2nd thought and start over. I'm guessing that's not the case for you....

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
On the contrary, Apple identified that APFS wasn't quite ready for Fusion drives, so it delayed it, instead of "releasing it now" (like in the betas) and patching later. They could have delayed APFS altogether, but there's little point if most people have SSDs these days.

My quote isn't about APFS. My quote is about the "coming in a future update" surrounding Apple's recent releases. I don't think any recent release was just released without a promise to release "the rest" at a later date.

Comment

tweak25

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2014
Will High Sierra's APFS work with third party SSDs (upgraded from standard spinning HDD)?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.