Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The European Commission is considering investigating Apple's move to disable Home Screen web apps in the EU, the Financial Times reports.

European-Commisssion.jpg

Following the release of the second beta version of iOS 17.4, it emerged that Apple had restricted the functionality of iOS web apps in the EU. Web apps can no longer launch from the Home Screen in their own top-level window that takes up the entire screen, relegating them to a simple shortcut with an option to open within Safari instead. Critics argue that the move undermines the role of web apps as viable alternatives to native apps in iOS.

EU competition regulators sent questions to developers last week to determine the impact of the change in what is apparently seen as a precursor to an in-depth probe. The European Commission confirmed its scrutiny to the Financial Times:
We are indeed looking at the compliance packages of all gatekeepers, including Apple. In that context, we're in particular looking into the issue of progressive web apps, and can confirm sending the requests for information to Apple and to app developers, who can provide useful information for our assessment.

Apple claims that it had to make the change to how web apps work in iOS to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act (DMA), arguing that third-party browsers used with web apps in Europe could expose users to unlawful security and privacy risks. It believes that the adjustments will only affect a small number of users.

A potential probe into web apps could come after the March 6 deadline for Apple to comply with the DMA, but formal proceedings could be prevented if Apple makes further concessions.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple's Decision to Disable Web Apps Attracts Scrutiny in EU

Verified Whiskey

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2023
At first glance it seems weird and fishy for sure, but it’s a good point from Apple on the security front. iOS has unparalleled security right now. Opening it up like macOS creates the possibility of malware and viruses to get in. Not saying it’s guaranteed, especially if they implement something similar to Gatekeeper but on iOS, but still. If we have to have iOS become open forcefully like this from the overreaching EU bureaucrats, I’d prefer to keep security at the forefront of decision making from Apple’s point. Like they have since the beginning.

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
To TL;DR the situation: Apple is forced to allow alternative web engines (other than Webkit) to run on the iPhone. Progressive Web Apps over the alternative web engines could have close to full access to the hardware (unlike over Webkit) effectively allowing developers to create web apps that almost feel native and break completely free from Apple's control.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Apple has confirmed that they are removing it because they consider it too much work for the present low adoption of PWAs. This won’t be temporary unless the EU deems it anti-competitive.
I'm unsure how it would be anti-competitive, seeing how they remove the functionality for everyone, including themselves. I am also willing to bet if you have a non-webkit browser as your default, it will crash your phone, seeing how it is most likely using OS-level webkit APIs.

To TL;DR the situation: Apple is forced to allow alternative web engines (other than Webkit) to run on the iPhone. Progressive Web Apps over the alternative web engines could have close to full access to the hardware (unlike over Webkit) effectively allowing developers to create web apps that almost feel native and break completely free from Apple's control.
See above, or it just crashes your phone...

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I'm unsure how it would be anti-competitive, seeing how they remove the functionality for everyone, including themselves. I am also willing to bet if you have a non-webkit browser as your default, it will crash your phone, seeing how it is most likely using OS-level webkit APIs.
I have no strong opinion on that, my point was that it’s not just temporary from Apple as you suggested.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
An alternative web engine is a user choice. A PWA installed by an alternative web engine, such as Chrome, will probably be full featured and therefore a more complete PWA.

However, I think PWA’s quality as secondary apps - so if they were stuck in safari like PWA’s are currently - it’s theoretically ok… but rather it would be better if the PWA when it was saved asked the user which web engine it wanted to use. Apple could list the “Safari WebApp Engine” as a complete experience, and than select another web browser and it could open in that browser like a shortcut. Giving users the option.

However, once a user selects an option they are choosing, I would hope they are fully aware of privacy and security concerns. Therefore which web engine selected should have the option to develop a complete PWA experience. The user has choose. The experience they prefer.

I believe Apple is cutting PWA’s because it helps them increase their access platform fee monetization by forcing all apps - even PWAs - to be installed as such.

It’s a pickle. PWA’s to me should be supported by all internet connected devices as they don’t require much specialized coding for a device which already has a browser to support. If it was me, I’d have the AppStore or PWAs and I’d still be compliant in the Eru - because you can access external apps as PWAs. I’m not sacrificing my developer integrity, I’m not sacrificing privacy or security, and I can require new app engines to be added to the App Store - enabling consistent privacy and security sandboxes across my platform.

That also being said, an app launching system can be developed to sandbox, protect, and secure an app from other apps - but iOS would need substantially changed I suppose.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple is now KING of the capitalism mountain. They are no longer some small competitor desperately trying to climb it. They- or sometimes Microsoft depending on the day the measure is checked- look down upon all other competitors (and not just tech- ALL other companies). And yet, they choose- and it is simply choices- to operate like they are still that desperate little player needing every nickel & dime to survive.

What happens when you become King of this mountain but don't evolve into benevolent king? The last force powerful enough to try to reel in your self-serving choices has to step up... and that is GOV(s). The more Apple fights these same battles, the more GOV(s) will be inclined to try & reel them in. The EU is only the first front over matters like this. Others will inevitably follow if Apple doesn't evolve their approach as King. History tells this very same story over and over again. History shows how it ends, over and over again.

So what's the solution? Celebrate conquering the entire capitalism world (winning the contest) and evolve your approaches to try to raise all (supporting) boats... like a CEO justifying insane pay increases by paying the VPs nearly (as) insane amounts. As supporting boats rise, the King can justify making even more themselves... because their lead above all others doesn't look so egregious.

If the King does not become a benevolent capitalist, GOV(s) will just keep on coming... and they DO have the legal resources deep enough to overcome your own legal forces & arsenal. GOV(s) could basically legislate for up to forever. Even Apple doesn't have enough to fight that kind of war.

In short: Apple has won the ultimate business race. It's time to change to maintain the crown instead of operate like there are still more competitors above them to catch. This is the capitalism version of the kids game: King of the Hill. Eventually the forces against a King will topple them from that hill. See all of the capitalism Kings who once sat upon that very same hill... and kept chasing "more, more, more" above all else. The outcome is always the same. It would be a great time for Apple to recall that history and take their own advice: "Think different" ... even "Do different."

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Regulations always come at a cost to consumers. The question is always: is the cost worth it?
These regulations try to strike a balance between consumer interests and big-tech interests. IMO big tech has become much too powerful, and consumers as well as small companies have almost no leverage against the moats they have built up. This is a cost already being payed by consumers. Therefore I’m for any measures that create a more level playing field and that put users more in control.

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Apple claims that it had to make the change to how web apps work in iOS to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act (DMA), arguing that third-party browsers used with web apps in Europe could expose users to unlawful security and privacy risks.
Wild how Android has had progressive web apps AND third-party browsers for all these years, and yet there doesn't seem to be a streak of people getting hacked via PWAs on there. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.