Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Wild how Android has had progressive web apps AND third-party browsers for all these years, and yet there doesn't seem to be a streak of people getting hacked via PWAs on there. :p
Well, if you built the functionality to work with different browsers, it will work with different browsers. Apple has always only had to support Webkit-based browsers. This most likely requires major rework for Apple.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
This is now the EU dictating what features must be developed instead of simply “leveling the playing field” between what Apple allows for itself and what it allows for third parties. If Apple doesn’t have access to this functionality then the feature simply doesn’t exist on iOS in the EU. It would be different if Apple apps like Safari could “install” PWAs but they can’t.

People insisted this wouldn’t happen.

jvchappy

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2021
Apple clearly stated that when they announced this change, it would take significant resources to fix the security vulnerabilities in that stack, and only a tiny percentage of users utilize that feature. Why should Apple be forced to spend substantial time and effort on a product feature? Government should not be able to dictate this.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Shocker. Apple, just tell them to go **** themselves and leave already.
I really want to hear the earnings call after that decision. "As you know, because the European Union decided to exercise their right to regulate commerce, we abandoned that entire market, resulting in a sales and profit drop of about 20% across the board and leading to our lowest overall sales volume since 2013."

Take that, EU!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I really want to hear the earnings call after that decision. "As you know, because the European Union decided to exercise their right to regulate commerce, we abandoned that entire market, resulting in a sales and profit drop of about 20% across the board and leading to our lowest overall sales volume since 2013."

Take that, EU!
Black Market sales would be booming though. Scalpers all over the EU will be like...

gf14wgudizu71.jpg

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
A MacRumors survey on who uses PWA's was my first thought... We all know the number is just a very small fraction, but of course here we would get the torch carriers skewing the numbers

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Apple has always held back PWAs and is slow or refuses to adopt standards that make them act more like regular apps. It took until last year with iOS 16.2 for Apple to add the ability for PWAs to send notifications.

I'm sure that people here will say that they did this in the name of security or some other lame excuse, but the fact of the matter is Apple doesn't want PWAs to succeed because it would mean less App Store revenue for them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What the EU is doing here, whether they realize it or not (most likely not), is telling Apple to engineer a new framework for this purpose…when Apple’s own data shows that iOS user barely use this feature to begin with.

I’m sure Apple is already working on it, but (as an IT guy) this “wave a magic wand” ******** is infuriating.

What’s the EU’s recommended way to ensure malicious web engines don’t circumvent iOS security protections? Oh that right, none of that is even considered because technical reason be damned, this is clearly just malicious activity by Apple 🙄

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I just recently started using PWAs for apps hosted on my home-network. It's really sad Apple decided to cut this feature.

Could there possibly be a workaround by using Shortcuts to launch websites in 3rd-party browsers from the homescreen?

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
What the EU is doing here, whether they realize it or not (most likely not), is telling Apple to engineer a new framework for this purpose…when Apple’s own data shows that iOS user barely use this feature to begin with.

I’m sure Apple is already working on it, but (as an IT guy) this “wave a magic wand” ******** is infuriating.

What’s the EU’s recommended way to ensure malicious web engines don’t circumvent iOS security protections? Oh that right, none of that is even considered because technical reason be damned, this is clearly just malicious activity by Apple 🙄

Where does it say any of that?

They are looking at compliance with the DMA. Therefore they have sent requests for information, which could lead to a more in-depth probe. At the end of that, there may be something that sets out additional mitigations to ensure compliance, but we don't know what that would say, what the timeline might be or if it, in fact, even found any issues with Apple's implementation of PWAs.

They have asked for more information. That's it for the moment.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This is now the EU dictating what features must be developed instead of simply “leveling the playing field” between what Apple allows for itself and what it allows for third parties. If Apple doesn’t have access to this functionality then the feature simply doesn’t exist on iOS in the EU. It would be different if Apple apps like Safari could “install” PWAs but they can’t.

People insisted this wouldn’t happen.

This isn't about development, as the already-developed feature exists elsewhere. This feature existed in the EU previously and still does in the U.S.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
These regulations try to strike a balance between consumer interests and big-tech interests. IMO big tech has become much too powerful, and consumers as well as small companies have almost no leverage against the moats they have built up. This is a cost already being payed by consumers. Therefore I’m for any measures that create a more level playing field and that put users more in control.
“Customer interests” is not a single thing. People think in different ways. I’m a customer, and these regulations go against me. It seems like Apple had achieved a great balance for hundreds of millions of people, and these regulations go against that.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I just recently started using PWAs for apps hosted on my home-network. It's really sad Apple decided to cut this feature.

Could there possibly be a workaround by using Shortcuts to launch websites in 3rd-party browsers from the homescreen?
Do you live in the EU?

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
I know it won't happen because, most likely, it does not make business sense for Apple to do so.

But I really really hope and pray that Apple simply says "ENOUGH!!"

And they pull the iPhone OUT of the EU countries, ....seriously !!

What will the EU, and users in the EU, do ??

Sue Apple, because they HAVE TO be forced to sell the iPhone in the EU ?

Will EU users be forced to "choose" Android phones ?? ...a choice they've always had, to this very moment.
Talk about inflicting some real inconvenience on those EU users,
if Apple said go eff yourselves, and buy Android !!!

P.S.
And of course, the black market for iPhones would be huge BUT at least Apple can manufacture the iPhone they deem, with the software and functionality they deem, and the EU users would again have the choice they have always had;

Dozens of different manufacturers using Android, or Black market iPhone, but with an iPhone as it was intended, to be manufactured and delivered by Apple

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
I personally saw this one coming a mile away. If this was the only one Apple did it on the security defensnce might work. Problem is Apple is also doing malicious compliance on the 3rd party App stores to the point that even Apple knows it is way over prices and never going to happen.
Added everything up Apple security excuse is pretty thin and this looks more like just trying to break things on purpose.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
They will never stop. Endgame is to wrestle so much power that they can take control of encryption. It's not even a secret and yet people are still clapping like circus seals for ever more state regulation from Big Brother.

Tick tock.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
And of course, the black market for iPhones would be huge BUT at least Apple can manufacture the iPhone they deem, with the software and functionality they deem, and the EU users would again have the choice they have always had;
The EU has an issue with the App Store, not the the hardware. So how would you use a black market iPhone when you can't access the App Store? It would not be very appealing, would it?

Last edited:

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Regulations always come at a cost to consumers. The question is always: is the cost worth it?
At the end of the day it doesn't matter when said cost gets high enough that customers are not buying your thing. Apple devices are overpriced enough and then some more already, especially in Europe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.