Apple's 'Designed by Apple in California' Book Expands to Additional Countries

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's hardbound photo book, "Designed by Apple in California," is now available for purchase in five additional countries around the world. As of this month, Apple's websites and retail stores in the following countries carry the book: Canada, Brazil, Singapore, New Zealand, and Ireland.

Introduced in November, "Designed by Apple in California," showcases 20 years of Apple products, highlighting Macs, iPhones, iPods, iPads, and accessories released between 1998 and 2015.

The book is text-free, featuring 450 large, high-quality images of Apple products, highlighting the company's design process. Apple says it took eight years to design the book, which features specially milled custom-dyed paper with "gilded matte silver edges" and low-ghost ink.

Because "Designed by Apple in California" is positioned as an art book, it costs $200 for the small version and $300 for the large version in the United States. Prices are higher in other countries like Brazil due to import taxes and other fees.

Update: Apple has released the book in even more countries, including Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Spain, and Norway.

Article Link: Apple's 'Designed by Apple in California' Book Expands to Additional Countries

2. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

They should have left out some of the products to make this "book" thinner like the rest of Apple's books.

3. musika, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

musika macrumors 65816

musika

We're incredibly excited to get the incredible innovation in paper technology that only Apple can deliver into the hands of even more customers. The customer SAT on Designed by Apple in California has been incredible.

It's been an incredibly exciting new product category for us.

Incredible.

4. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

This book is surely an elaborate bet between Apple SVPs over whether they have the marketing schtick to sell a $300 book..

5. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Amazing book! Glad to see it's being made available more widely.

6. Max Portakabin Suspended

Costs more in Brazil due to translation surcharges.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm sure this book would be a fascinating read. But I can't just justify the price tag on this. I mean if you gave me a signed copy by Steve Jobs on this book, then absolutely I would purchase it. But I think I will look for used copy on eBay if it ever arrives.

8. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

"Let's go invent tomorrow rather than worrying about what happened yesterday." - Steve Jobs

9. vlad_djkax macrumors member

Damn it, R$ 809,10 for the small version (if you don't pay in installments, Apple gives you a 10% discount), R$ 1169,10 for the big one.
    My bet is the Iconic Book can be imported and will cost less even if Brazilian Customs taxes it...

10. Classic160 macrumors newbie

Seems to me this would be an ideal e-book to look at on our Retina screens. I'm never going to buy the print version (not at that price anyway) but I would definitely buy a reasonably priced e-book. It just seems logical to be able to admire amazing Apple designs on an amazing Apple device...

11. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

12. nt5672 macrumors 68000

It is entirely too thick and too large. Look at how much they crammed onto a single page. The flat plain boring look is missing.

13. atikalz macrumors regular

atikalz

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

I own two copies one untouched because this will be a collectors item, and another one I've browsed and enjoyed. I usually browse through some pages at least once a day and it makes me smile every time. The joy I get from this book is indescribable and if I'm honest a little embarrassing. Anyway I highly recommend any real Apple fan buy themselves a copy for your collection.

15. chinesedemo macrumors regular

I will wait until they make it a bit thinner.

16. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Doing some quick research, the average monthly family income in Brazil is about $650. Apple expects people to pay $300+ for a book? (and for a product most can't even afford!).

17. Max Portakabin Suspended

The power of Apple in Brazil. They are knocking down Christ the Redeemer and building a Tim Cook monument instead.

18. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Apple becomes a parody of itself with this "product"

19. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I don't think you used enough positive adjectives. Perhaps you should try adding more? :p

20. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

Maybe Apple will come out with a companion book called "made in china" where they show crying factory workers and strewn bloodied bodies of those who suicided off the balcony dorms

Then we'll have a fair and balanced portrayal of this conpany

21. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

I wonder how the book ends!? Must be an insane novel.

22. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

The future is in analogue technology. The iPhone 8 will actually be a package of pens, notebooks, envelopes and stamps. No longer bound by pixel limitations, either.

23. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

This book is for everyone. Those who enjoy high-quality photography on premium stock get what they want. Anti-Apple internet trolls get to flame all day. It's the perfect Apple product.

24. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

I browsed the book at the Apple Store in Hong Kong. While entertaining and nicely photographed it's (for me) not 300$ entertainment. If it would be in the normal price range of photo books we could discuss...

25. Pretty fly for a Mac guy, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

Pretty fly for a Mac guy macrumors newbie

Well, then listen to this: our minimum wage is R$ 937,00 per month and the 13' nMBP w/ TB (the cheapest version with low specs) costs R$ 13.899,00. That would be approximately US$ 4.357,00, by the latest quotation: R$ 1 = US$ 3,19 (hey america, still complaining about the MBP price? :rolleyes:).

So yeah, that's why I'm going to buy mine overseas (Europe or even Paraguay, still deciding).

Another shocking example is the Apple Watch Nike+ which costs more than 3 minimum wages, R$ 3.149,00 = US$ 987,00.