Apple's 'Designed by Apple in California' Book Expands to Additional Countries

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2017.

1. usarioclave macrumors 65816

For all of those who bought the book, there's an insert at the back that tells you what's on each page or set of pages.

2. Speedy Dingo macrumors regular

Speedy Dingo

o-TIM-COOK-facebook.jpg

"Our next version of this book, the Pro version, will be this big and it'll be a runaway success!"

3. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

It's because of Brazils import procedures and customs which make foreign products overly more expensive. Apparently it's to protect its own industry - while honestly i am not aware of any home grown Brazilian high tech company.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

IMG_5236.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Max Portakabin Suspended

***spoiler***

It ends with a picture of a 5400rpm HDD in a $5000 pro machine.

6. vlad_djkax macrumors member

Well, some people that post on the comments section of a Brazilian Apple Blog speculate that Apple US sells everything in full price to Apple Br, in other to keep the full profit and avoid all our bureaucracy (please, notice that I honestly have no clue if that even makes sense). Add that to our very, very ancient and insane import tax policy (from the years in which there was a true declared protection to our industry), plus taxes charged by each of our states, plus Apple Br own profits and... crazy prices!

Back to the book itself, I'd really like to grab one, as I have a growing interest in photography and, of course, I'm a fan of Apple products. Even if this kind of book usually costs even more than that.. I'm still trying to convince myself to pay for it.. But.. not now, and not at that cost. If someone I know happens to go overseas and is willing to sacrifice considerable space in his / her luggage, then I'll have one in my living room.

7. Tomasulu macrumors newbie

Tomasulu

So they're killing off routers, monitors, MAC pro (hey might as well) and crapping up Siri iTunes, iBooks, etc. so they can focus laser-like on this nonsense?

8. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Does anybody know the European price? My bet is €399 for large edition.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's priced at £169 / £249 in the UK, which converts to €195 / €287. They will probably round it up to €199 / €299.

10. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Why are they rolling the book in stages out like it's a new iPhone? Gotta try to drum up the anticipation, I guess. Is anyone really anticipating the arrival of a $200 to $300 coffee table book about Apple?

11. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

Well I remember Sony officially launched the PS2 in Brazil when the PS3 was already available for long everywhere else. So it was when the PS3 got to Brazil officially (PS4 already out everywhere else). Also if I am not mistaken the Sega master system went to Brazil when the Genesis (mega drive) was already old school. To some it up. Technology seems to be sometimes the Brazil customs (and government) hate....

12. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

Yikes. Lovely book but it costs more than the coffee table I'd set it on. :eek:

13. loekf macrumors 6502a

loekf

Yes see:

http://www.apple.com/nl/shop/product/MLXF2/designed-by-apple-in-california-260-x-324-mm

199 for the small book, 299 for the big one.

I would never pay that money for basically a coffee table book. To give you an example, I just bought the Rogue One concept art book for 30 euro.

Ridiculously overpriced... but like so many products Apple sells to us...

14. heimo macrumors 6502

Eagerly waiting for the new printer models from Apple. My ImageWriter is getting a bit old and at this point upgrading to StyleWriter doesn't seem like a logical step. But I know this dead tree thing is the future.

15. usarioclave macrumors 65816

I'm surprised there isn't an iBooks version...or a screensaver version for the ATV.

16. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Ah thanks! I checked yesterday but couldn't find it online yet.

I really don't think I can justify spending so much money on it. But if somebody insists on gifting me one... tcook@apple.com

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

We'll at least it's more current than the Mac Pro.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Old technology containing obsolete technology. Yep, it's an Apple product :D:cool:

19. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

It needs to be added to Buyers' Guide.