Apple's Desire to Include Local Stations in Streaming TV Service Could Delay Launch Beyond WWDC

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 22, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's efforts to provide customers with live programming from local broadcasting stations in the United States could delay the company's plans to launch a streaming TV service in early fall, according to Re/code. The report, citing industry executives, also claims that Apple has not reached any content deals with TV programmers yet, making it unlikely that the web-based TV service is announced at WWDC next month.

[​IMG]
    The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Apple plans to unveil its streaming TV service at WWDC, anchored by popular networks such as ABC, CBS, Fox, ESPN and FX. The web-based TV service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and other devices is expected to deliver a lightweight package of about 25 channels for between $30 to $40 per month. The report claimed that the service will be available in September.

Article Link: Apple's Desire to Include Local Stations in Streaming TV Service Could Delay Launch Beyond WWDC

2. Mums Suspended

Mums

3. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Apple's Desire to Include Local Stations in Streaming TV Service Could Delay ...

I don't care if they delay it to October or next year, the closer we get to an ala carte-like service, the better. I am SICK and TIRED of staring at the Verizon FiOS GUI.

4. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

Fios?

5. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Yeah, not only is Verizon FiOS priced high with extra equipment, but the GUI isn't intuitive. Could you imagine an Apple TV GUI designed just for cable programs?

6. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Or don't. Yeah, let's go with don't.

7. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

OtherJesus

Meanwhile a large number of people are streaming it free already...

8. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

OMG just release it already. Add local stations and other features later. Just get something out there!

9. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

I still don't know how anyone has the time to watch TV...

10. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I agree. Release it with what's available now. Add value to it later.

11. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Build in an over-the-air tuner (or two) and they can bypass such negotiations. Cheap part to include unlocks all local channels.

There's also clearQAM flowing on the same pipe that will be required for an Apple TV service replacement. Again, add a cheap part and unlock local channels that way too (where applicable).

Or, normalize the USB port and leave the local channel acquisition to those who want it buying Elgato-like products.

12. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

I wish Apple would just kill off the Apple tv already. Roku does everything already and does it one million times better.

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I don't see why they couldn't launch it without local content and then add it later. Personally I don't watch any local stations unless we're talking about sports, but even then I'd like to just be able to stream those in a separate package. Apple just needs to get this thing out the door. It has been far too long!

14. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

And yet they have a fraction of the staff and relatively no money vs. the mighty Apple. What are they doing that Apple is not? Hint: the little box is not a "hobby" at Roku.

15. Derekuda macrumors 6502

Derekuda

From what I've read, its really not that simple. It's taken Microsoft 2 years to get a simple converter for OTA for the Xbox one and I believe it had something to due with network and broadcast restrictions.

16. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

Paying for it already

If I cut cable + HBO from internet with Comcast I'll pay more money than I am now but only for internet.

I hope there is a way to authenticate channels if you're already paying for them through cable like HBO does with their app.

17. jacobh101 macrumors regular

I want Aereo back, they had an awesome streaming OTA platform for local channels!

18. niji Contributor

niji

another eddie "all strategy - all the time *" cue idea

*that hasn't worked for the last 5 years

19. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

If all Apple is planning to do is offer a skinnied down cable package is it really worth it? That skinny package will eventually become bloated; just look at the current TV and the new "channels" that keep being added to it.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

While I agree that could solve some of these issues. It's not apples style. Too many inconsistencies in signal availability. Apple wants to control all of the content you consume so they can ensure the best possible experience in picture quality and buffering. I can only imagine how many people would flip their **** when their new Apple TV can't show their local channels without digital static.

21. k1121j macrumors 6502a

k1121j

these networks better get with the program or loose to those networks who already have

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

This doesn't appear to be ala carte but just a skinny cable package.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I simply don't care about live TV. I want an Apple TV with full App Store access.

24. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

They use some of the time they would normally spend posting on tech forums.

25. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

There is a LOT of cheap technology that includes OTA tuners. There are rules associated with the whole proposition of OTA that revolve around being sure that such signals are readily accessible by the public. The rules exist to avoid restrictions or hinderances for Joe Consumer, so that he can access OTA signals without much hassle.

While I can't say for certain that there would be no special hoops through which Apple would need to leap, knowing what I know about such matters, I doubt building in a standard OTA tuner requires a special deal... and I strongly doubt that such a deal would need to be made with all of the players in a network.

The goal of OTA is to deliver the signals for as close to free as possible. The laws revolve around NOT trying to facilitate middlemen being able to throw up obstacles between broadcaster and consumer. And the business driver of OTA- advertising- is improved by easily adding more eyeballs rather than making it harder for eyeballs to be able to get signals (and thus be exposed to advertising).