Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Digital Video Production Future

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
5,502
314
Middle Earth
The odds are high for

Final Cut Pro 4:

It'll probably have better Project Management, Better Titling, Better Audio and a bevy of other features.

Shake 3.0. First Major update with Shake under Apple's Helm. Don't know what they'll do but it'll receive more love on Apple's website than it does now.

Apple will probably announce a new product. I don't know what it is but FCP4 and Shake don't constitute much of a "strategy" unless they start adding "glue" to piece things together. I expect this product to be new Software or perhaps even Hardware.

We may even get announcement of an aquisition.

This is totally my guess with no insider nothing. As you can tell from the lack of info in my post.
 
Comment

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
1,564
6
Australia
Packages

I wonder if Apple will ever sell Final Cut Pro with DVD Studio Pro as a package. I would not include Shake in such a package because it is more expensive (or so I think, seeing that I could not find the software in the online Apple Store of Australia).

I expect something major from Final Cut Pro 4. Version 3 was always meant to be little more than an OS X native version of FCP 2. The interface is great in the current version so I hope it remains basically the same. I expect a lot of new formats to be supported, hopefully pushing the consumer camera market towards something better than Mini-DV quality. I also hope that the MP4 format takes over Offline duties as it seems to be rendered effortlessly on a dual G4. I can only dream what would be possible on a G5 system.
 
Comment

bikertwin

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
198
0
This Old House
Apple must be planning to include new audio features in FCP 4. They currently include BIAS Peak DV with FCP 3, and I just got a "frantic" e-mail from BIAS offering a steeply discounted upgrade to the full version of Peak, for a limited time only (the end of March, I think). So BIAS must know something we don't.

Maybe they'll include "Logic Lite".
 
Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,561
0
VA
Well, it just makes sense to have FCP4 come out at NAB - we haven't seen an upgrade in quite a while. And with FC Express, well, I imagine that FCP is going to be a little more expensive. But I'm wondering how much more. They can't make it too costly, but maybe you'll have different plugins....

D
 
Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,368
119
Los Angeles
Re: Packages

Originally posted by Sol
I wonder if Apple will ever sell Final Cut Pro with DVD Studio Pro as a package. I would not include Shake in such a package because it is more expensive (or so I think, seeing that I could not find the software in the online Apple Store of Australia).

I expect something major from Final Cut Pro 4. Version 3 was always meant to be little more than an OS X native version of FCP 2. The interface is great in the current version so I hope it remains basically the same. I expect a lot of new formats to be supported, hopefully pushing the consumer camera market towards something better than Mini-DV quality. I also hope that the MP4 format takes over Offline duties as it seems to be rendered effortlessly on a dual G4. I can only dream what would be possible on a G5 system.


Something better than MiniDV quality? MiniDV is the highest quality format ever availible<sp?> at the consumer level and with prosumer level cameras you can shoot broadcast quality video with it. Just out of curiousty what new formats are you thinking about? FCP can handle everything from MiniDV to DigiBeta to Hi-Def as long as you have proper hardware.

I would expect better media management, ironing out many of the "off lining" wrinkles, more RT (RT out via firewire hopefully), among other things (mostly I agree w/nuckinfutz).


Lethal
 
Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
5,502
314
Middle Earth
Lethal,


He probably means 24P but doesn't know it. I'm sure Apple and Panasonic will be announcing the fruits of their "marriage" with DV50 and 24P support.

This a good thing as I'm hearing great things about Pannies 24p Cam.
 
Comment

pduck

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
13
0
JVC recently announced a consumer/prosumer grade HD camcorder. Would Firewire 800 support be able to handle the HD signal?
 
Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,368
119
Los Angeles
Originally posted by pduck
JVC recently announced a consumer/prosumer grade HD camcorder. Would Firewire 800 support be able to handle the HD signal?


It cannot handle full blown HD. I think it can handle b'cast HD, and I'm assuming it could handle HD from a con/prosumer camera.


Lethal
 
Comment

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
896
0
Chicago, IL, USA
Re: Re: Packages

Originally posted by LethalWolfe

I would expect better media management, ironing out many of the "off lining" wrinkles, more RT (RT out via firewire hopefully), among other things (mostly I agree w/nuckinfutz).


Lethal

media management ugrades are a must, and getting FW RT effects would be sweet. 24p support is going to happen, and maybe an improved compositing interface (more like AE, in-prog edits, integration). On a lesser note, a true aqua interface would be cute. FCP looks kind of out of place in OSX.
My transition to FCP was rough, but now, four months later, i'm about back to my (adobe) premiere efficiency.

i'd also like to see some changes to the interface in DVDSP. i'm still learning to use this program, and i just don't like the way the context sensitive menus work. aquafy it, make the interface flow. right now, it's very clunky. anyone agree?
 
Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,368
119
Los Angeles
Re: Re: Re: Packages

Originally posted by trebblekicked
media management ugrades are a must, and getting FW RT effects would be sweet. 24p support is going to happen, and maybe an improved compositing interface (more like AE, in-prog edits, integration). On a lesser note, a true aqua interface would be cute. FCP looks kind of out of place in OSX.
My transition to FCP was rough, but now, four months later, i'm about back to my (adobe) premiere efficiency.

i'd also like to see some changes to the interface in DVDSP. i'm still learning to use this program, and i just don't like the way the context sensitive menus work. aquafy it, make the interface flow. right now, it's very clunky. anyone agree?


I've never used DVDSP before but Premiere, IMO, is just about GUI hell on Earth. FCP is the most intuitive NLE I've ever used. Granted I learned on Avid (which FCP borrowed more than a few things from), but Premiere is just... I cut on it for a year and I don't even want to use it again. :D


Lethal
 
Comment

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
896
0
Chicago, IL, USA
looking back from here, yeah premiere lacked the inutitive qualities of FCP/Avid, but it's what i and a lot of other people learned on. I don't miss premiere, i just used it for four years. i knew it inside and out. i rarely had to use a mouse:) it's taken a while to get used to the way FCP works (things like how FCP/OSX manage capture/render scratch. god, was that anoying at first!)
DVDSP is a great program. it's solid, it's 150% customizable (being applescript ready), it's a quality product. it's just that vesion 1 was designed for OS9. it feels (and looks) like the X version is just a port of the 9 version. There is much they could do to ease the eye strain on the main interface. all the context sensitive information is contained in an array of drop menus on the right side, in what appears to be 10 point font. The main interface can be visual or info driven, which is nice, but the whole shebang needs an OSX overhaul. Apple really made a wonderful program, they just need to keep improving it.
 
Comment

zuffen

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2001
63
0
some thoughts

what about mpeg 4 native with hyper linking and menu commands embedded into the video stream as well as several more profiles dedicated to streaming media.....I'm sick of windows media...I want to see quicktime take over

I think there needs to be an apple based engine as an add in card for rendering...like an ice card...all the pro-machines have outside the "box" rendering engines.

Seamless integration with other programs.

Lower price..lower price...lower price

and last

LOWER PRICE.

I want a new system but can't afford the hardware and software upgrades every year or so.
 
Comment

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
896
0
Chicago, IL, USA
any hope of matrox announcing os-x support for the rt mac (or a new product in it's place?). i agree with the ice card-ish thing mentioned above, but what about the smaller houses that could use something like the rtmac?
 
Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,368
119
Los Angeles
Originally posted by zuffen
I think there needs to be an apple based engine as an add in card for rendering...like an ice card...all the pro-machines have outside the "box" rendering engines.



There are pro/prosumer capture cards that provide hardware acceleration. But hardware acceleration for DV is almost dead. FCP 4 will have even more software RT and programs like Vegas Video 4 really show off what software RT can do and why DV hardware acceleration is losing ground rapidly.


Lethal
 
Comment

zuffen

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2001
63
0
I'm not talking the DV codec and simple transitions , I'm talking about a render engine. The problem is doing complex effects and audio and video conversions in the timeline. And there needs to be a better choice input other than firewire, RGB, SDI, etc. I just want to see professional hardware to go with the already professional software.

The entire system is too slow if you have ever used a pro system. An old media composer running on an 8600 has faster render times or at least I don;t see much difference
 
Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
5,502
314
Middle Earth
Re: Speaking of digital video...

Originally posted by MacPorter
http://www.adobe.com/motion/pcpreferred.html

Linked to give a heads up. May or may not be of concern. I for one was upset by the website.

Check the top graph. It's not even correct.

Don't worry AE is slow. Apple could easily eclipse the Power and Speed of AE(not including AE plugins) with the Tech they have from Shake and Rayz.
 
Comment

MacPorter

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2003
22
0
Victory Brewpub
if you follow the link to the digital video gear page, they have dell workstations featured. if you click on the black boxes, you are sent to dell's website.

just dandy for Apple/Adobe relations.
 
Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
5,502
314
Middle Earth
Originally posted by MacPorter
if you follow the link to the digital video gear page, they have dell workstations featured. if you click on the black boxes, you are sent to dell's website.

just dandy for Apple/Adobe relations.

Adobe's not taking Desktop Digital Video serious IMO. Premier and After Effect are showing their age. Apple is attacking the High End Compositing and Low End with Final Cut Express. Adobe should be pissed at Apple but that's life. Apple believer Digital Video Production with NLEs is a potential lucrative market. I don't have Adobe. As a matter of fact I'll be buying an Adobe Graphics Bundles soon enough but I'm not looking to them for cutting edge Digital Video.

I'd choose Adobe if I wanted crusty code which multithreads like doodoo.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.