Apple's exchange or return policy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrbutter27, Mar 10, 2011.

1. mrbutter27 macrumors newbie

I recently got a brand new ipad as a gift from my aunt but i really had my heart set on the ipad 2. It was thoughtful and I'm certainly not going to ask her to exchange it for me or give me a receipt so i can exchange it..I dont see her often and i think that'd be a little rude. I know for a fact it was purchased a few days ago. Can i take this into an apple store and ask to have an exchange for the ipad 2? Obviously I would pay the difference. I dont think a refund is possible and if it was, itd just go back to her account so that defeats the purpose of it.

Anyone know if that's allowed within the 14 day grace period? Would I have to call up apple or something? I dont know if she bought it online, walmart, apple store or what.

the more i read the threads about ipad 2, the more i want it.

2. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I think you have to have a receipt. How would they know when you bought it? You would have to show proof of purchase. They can't just take your word for it.

3. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I doubt they'd take it back without a receipt. Especially if it might not have even been bought there. Try selling it and pay the difference maybe?

4. WilliamG macrumors G3

Apple knows when you got it based on the serial number. Personally I'd just ask your aunt for the receipt and tell her the truth! She'll find out anyway when the advertising is in full swing for th iPad 2 and she realizes her *mistake*.

5. joltaxt macrumors regular

If I were you I'd sell it ASAP and pay the difference. But that's just me, I couldn't go up to a family member like that and ask for the receipt especially after such a nice gift.

6. mrbutter27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah there's no way i can ask her for one. Idk, i feel like that'd be a slap in her face or ungrateful, even though i appreciate it.

And apple knows when you purchased it when you put the serial number into the system. But i really cant say where she got it or how so i'm not sure if my local apple store will have a problem with an exchange for an ipad 2. After all, I'd be paying more money to make up the difference.

I also did put it up for sale at $350 but I dont know if thats enough or too high or what. We'll see if anyone wants to buy it. I'd personally have $420 or whatever it is retail put towards the purchase of an ipad 2 though..

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Say you love it but the headphone port is broken and you need the receipt to get it fixed at the apple store.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I do not think it would be rude at all if you tactfully thanked your aunt for it and asked if she would mind if you exchanged it for the new iPad. (Obviously don't hit her up for the extra $.)

Personally, if my niece or nephew did the same I'd be happy to offer up the receipt and would think more of them, not less. It's no insult at all. What would be insulting is if they exchanged it behind my back and I found out later. And if they sold it immediately after I gave it to them- and for less money than I paid I'd be furious and probably never buy them anything decent again.

9. joltaxt macrumors regular

The funny thing about this thread is that unless you aunt lives under a rock she's going to run into the iPad 2 news this week eventually :D

10. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I'd try that.

11. mrbutter27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to call the local apple store and see what they can do. after all it's only a few days old. I'll give em the serial number and at the least they can say what my options are.

12. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

1) Buy iPad 2
    2) Put iPad 1 on eBay

They're going for $350 easily right now.

13. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

Tell her there are some dead pixels and you need receipt to take it in for exchange

14. poloponies Suspended

Take it into the store and find out. I've returned without receipt before for store credit (Apple gift card) at the Apple store. But maybe it's because I have an honest face.

15. Davichi macrumors 6502

Get the receipt and go to apple store on 11th and exchange it. Problem solved.

16. brayhite macrumors 6502a

Quick somewhat related question:

There's a white 64 GB iPad 2 wifi only available at a Best Buy that I didn't reserve at. If I go purchase that one, am I allowed to exchange it at Apple or BB barring I still have the receipt when the black one I want comes in either at BB or Apple?

17. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you want to exchange it or get a refund you need to do it at best buy. If you need warranty service you can take it to apple. Apple won't exchange or refund an ipad purchased from best buy.

18. poloponies Suspended

What's the point of buying something you don't want and then planning on returning it? What do you gain in the transaction? Just wait for the black and don't complicate things.

19. sealos macrumors regular

I have fad pretty good luck exchanging /returning things at Apple. I was given an IPod as a gift for attending a presentation but it wasn't the color/configuration I wanted. Took it to an Apple store and exchanged it for a more expensive model, no problems or questions asked.

Also over the past weekend, I returned a 32gb black iPad 2 that I got originally 3 weeks ago (after their 14 day period mind you), I explained that it wasn't the model I wanted and have since the original purchase had found a 64gb 3G iPad 2. Again they took it back without question. I even exchanged the free iPhone bumper case for the redesigned model at the same time.

Apple just wants the customer to be happy when they leave the store. I have other great experiences and that is why I keep buying Apple products.

20. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I totally agree with you. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking auntie for the receipt either. I would just simply sell the iPad and pay the difference for the iPad 2. Or, the other option is to go to an Apple Store and ask them if it is possible to exchange it. No harm in asking them. If they say "No", then fine. Go sell it.

21. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If it is unopened and brought directly from Apple then take it to an Apple Store. They shouldn't have a problem returning it because it hasn't been opened and is brand new. They won't give cash but that doesn't matter because you are just going to get credit for the new iPad 2. I have returned things before without a receipt to the Apple Store and they offer credit, not had problems before.