Apple's Extended 2017 Holiday Return Policy Begins November 15 [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has confirmed that its annual extended holiday return policy begins today in the United States and several other countries around the world.

[​IMG]

Apple's website says most products and accessories purchased between November 15, 2017 and December 25, 2017 will be eligible for return until January 8, 2018 in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Hong Kong, Japan, and select other regions.

The dates are slightly different in a few countries, including Italy and Spain, where most products and accessories purchased between November 15, 2017 and January 6, 2018 will be eligible for return until January 20, 2018.

Apple products that can be returned include, among other things, the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. The few items that cannot be returned include Apple or iTunes gift cards. Apple products can be opened and used prior to the return date, but must be returned undamaged with the original packaging.

When making a purchase at an Apple retail store, we recommend that you ask for a printed or emailed copy of your receipt. Both printed and emailed receipts will indicate the return date for each product purchased, while Apple also lists the cutoff date under the "Your Account" section on its website.

All purchases made before November 15, 2017 are subject to Apple's standard 14-day return policy in the United States and most other countries.

Update: Apple's website now says its extended holiday return policy begins November 15, 2017. A previous version of this article listed November 25 as the start date, but evidently that information relayed by an Apple support advisor was inaccurate. All dates in this article have been updated.

Article Link: Apple's Extended 2017 Holiday Return Policy Begins November 15 [Updated]

2. shuttaman macrumors newbie

Time to rent an apple 4k and beats studio wireless 3 for the holidays
    If I like it. I keep it.
    If not then its bye bye

3. MrGuder macrumors 68020

This might be the perfect time to order an Apple Watch 3 and try it for a month to see if I want to keep it. The only kick back is no discounts.

4. mainomega macrumors 6502

Be careful though, if you scratch you’ll have to buy it.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's a risk I would be cautious with. Especially being a watch that can easily be subjected to damage because you will wear it daily. And if you don't like it, you're going to end up owning it if it becomes damaged during your trial.

6. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Huh, looking at the last few years, it started as soon as Nov 3. Last year I think was the 10th. Now they are moving it after Thanksgiving.

Makes sense with Apple’s cash flow issues that they may want to tighten up those lead times and not over extend themselves. /s

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

What if I order online? I don't plan on scratching it. They won't accept a return?

8. ceparker27 macrumors member

ceparker27

Isn’t the 25th the day AFTER Black Friday? That’s a huge deal.

9. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

I'm guessing it has to do with the X being released so soon. If they'd started Nov 3rd all iPhone X models could be eligible for return.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

If you order online, the holiday return policy still applies as it would an in-store purchase.

You also stated you don't plan on scratching it, but the point is, if you do inadvertently scratch it, you will be denied the return.

Hence:

"Apple products can be opened and used prior to the return date, but must be returned undamaged with the original packaging."

11. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

Well, starting on a day like the 10th would solve that potential issue.

It’s not a coincidence at all, that it’s moving the day after BF. If Apple even does do a “sale” again on BF of some variety, those purchases are only eligible for the usual return policy.

It’s all about accounting and cash forecasting, to not have nearly two months of sales potentially “returned” in early January. For Apple, with their mountains of cash, and selling those items as refurbs anyways, it’s not as big a deal as some retailers.

With Cook in charge I am surprised it took as long as it did to move up these dates.

12. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Correct Could also be tied into getting as many x’s as possible out there before the 25th

13. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Well I went through 4 MacBook pros and apple accepted everyone of those returns until I finally settled on a 2017. I might just wait and see if black fri has any deals on the AW3 or I could wait till after the new yr to see if any show up in the apple refurb of those returning holiday ones. I'm not in a rush but would like to own one.

14. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

You could argue a minor scratch is not damage. Cracked screen .. yeah!

15. mainomega macrumors 6502

No you can’t.

16. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That's highly debatable. Regardless, if there is apparent damage, Apple has every right to deny the return Contrary to a 'minor scratch' . Their terms and conditions even states this verbatim.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It what way could you argue a scratch, no matter the severity, as not damage?

It came that way?

18. KPOM macrumors G5

I noticed that too. I think it would be the 24th at least.

19. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

cmon man this is fraud

20. Newjackboy macrumors 6502

Huh? What is fraud? What are you talking about?

I’m saying if you return any item to Apple within the return period- they will do a quick glance for damage. They do not bring out a microscope or spend ages going thru Phone from all angles.

So if you have a tiny mark or scratch- it’s unlikely your return will be refused.
    Small marks happen when you take a phone out there for 2 weeks etc

21. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

Why do we need a printed receipt. Surly a email and added to iCloud is enough. Well it has been in my case many times.
    Save the environment with less paper.

22. mainomega macrumors 6502

I'm sure Apple would prefer an emailed copy or their own web archived version than the paper receipt. Last time I returned something they were able to look at Apple Id history and get it from there.

23. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

24. elkiehound macrumors newbie

Thing is, if you wait til Nov 25th to order an Apple Watch, you might not get it by Christmas?

25. MrGuder macrumors 68020

That's the whole reason why apple is doing this, they know people will order for xmas gifts that won't be opened till 25th then they give you 2 weeks from the 25th to decide. Yes u will get before xmas.