MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its annual extended holiday return policy begins today in the United States and several other countries around the world.

apple-gift-wrap.jpg

Under the policy, eligible products purchased between November 14, 2018 and December 25, 2018 can be returned until January 8, 2019 in the United States, Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, and select other regions. You can return something ordered online or purchased in store, and Apple's policy states that the items can be sent back to Apple for free through the mail or dropped off at any Apple Store.

In countries like Japan and Spain, the policy is slightly different and extends from November 14, 2018 to January 6, 2019, with a return deadline of January 20, 2019 in these regions.

In all regions, items excluded from the return policy include Apple or iTunes gift cards. Otherwise, most products can be returned, including iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, Apple TV, and more. The devices can be opened and used prior to being returned, but they must be undamaged and in their original packaging.

As with any holiday purchase, make sure you keep your receipts when buying on Apple.com or in an Apple retail store, to ensure that your purchase falls within the timeframe of the extended holiday return policy. If you bought something from Apple prior to today, it will fall under Apple's typical 14-day return policy.

Article Link: Apple's Extended Holiday Return Policy Begins Today, Return Deadline Set for January 8, 2019

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
What if the MacBook is opened? Free or restocking fee?
Free.
[doublepost=1542216584][/doublepost]I just wished they offered interest free credit again, like they used to do. They do it for the iPhone (the "iPhone Payments" plan: 20 months UK / 24 months US), so why not the more expensive Macs/iPads?!

Instead they want to make more money, by offering Barclays or Paypal finance at a whopping 15%, in a market where you can get a personal loan for less than 3.5%. So bleeding obvious they're making money from these loan companies, on top of increased pricing across the board, all to raise their ASP and thus increase shareholder value.

Sure pension funds rejoice, but we're all paying for it through the nose.

Last edited:
Comment

ChrisMoBro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2016
Free.
[doublepost=1542216584][/doublepost]I just wished they offered interest free credit again, like they used to do. They do it for the iPhone (the "iPhone Payments" plan: 20 months UK / 24 months US), so why not the more expensive Macs/iPads?!

Instead they want to make more money, by offering Barclays or Paypal finance at a whopping 15%, in a market where you can get a personal loan for less than 3.5%. So bleeding obvious they're making money from these loan companies, on top of increased pricing across the board, all to raise their ASP and thus increase shareholder value.

#yawn

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Yikes I only just got my Halloween decorations down yesterday. :eek: And of course I found out I still forgot a couple of things. One bat, one black cat and a Sock monkey wearing a mask and cape. :p

Anyway last year when I returned my iPhone X (due to it giving me migraines) well within the holiday return date and within all of the specified parameters, I still got a real runaround at my local Apple Store when we returned it.

First they tried to say we were past the return deadline. Not true, we had many days to spare.

Then they tried to tell me they could not locate a record of the purchase. They claimed some sort of issue prevented them from finding it in their system. My husband showed it to them on his iPhone. Then they tried to insist my phone was part of some special promotion or something which made absolutely no sense, because no such promotion existed at the time my husband bought the iPhone. I can’t explain it here to you all because they made everything up as they went along. Like if they dragged it out long enough I would give up and go home. It was awful.

Then they tried to deny the terms spelled out on the web site saying it didn’t apply to their store. We had to pull up the web page and show them the fine print of the return terms.

They finally approved the return but said they were doing us a favor in doing so because we really didn’t meet the terms. But they couldn’t explain how we didn’t meet the terms. I’ve never seen such a weird runaround.

It was a process that should have taken ten minutes but was dragged out for about twenty minutes or so. It was just so weird and atypical.

Normally the FEW returns or exchanges that we have done at that store over the years are a breeze. Apparently they are wary of the holiday ones. Or at least some store managers are.

So, buyer beware. Definitely save every bit of documentation both electronic and paper.

Comment

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
Yikes I only just got my Halloween decorations down yesterday. :eek: And of course I found out I still forgot a couple of things. One bat, one black cat and a Sock monkey wearing a mask and cape. :p

Anyway last year when I returned my iPhone X (due to it giving me migraines) well within the holiday return date and within all of the specified parameters, I still got a real runaround at my local Apple Store when we returned it.

First they tried to say we were past the return deadline. Not true, we had many days to spare.

Then they tried to tell me they could not locate a record of the purchase. They claimed some sort of issue prevented them from finding it in their system. My husband showed it to them on his iPhone. Then they tried to insist my phone was part of some special promotion or something which made absolutely no sense, because no such promotion existed at the time my husband bought the iPhone. I can’t explain it here to you all because they made everything up as they went along. Like if they dragged it out long enough I would give up and go home. It was awful.

Then they tried to deny the terms spelled out on the web site saying it didn’t apply to their store. We had to pull up the web page and show them the fine print of the return terms.

They finally approved the return but said they were doing us a favor in doing so because we really didn’t meet the terms. But they couldn’t explain how we didn’t meet the terms. I’ve never seen such a weird runaround.

It was a process that should have taken ten minutes but was dragged out for about twenty minutes or so. It was just so weird and atypical.

Normally the FEW returns or exchanges that we have done at that store over the years are a breeze. Apparently they are wary of the holiday ones. Or at least some store managers are.

So, buyer beware. Definitely save every bit of documentation both electronic and paper.

Perhaps they profiled you.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Perhaps they profiled you.
You could be right but I am not sure how/why they would. It was our first return in years. And it was on my husband’s account, not mine as it was a gift from him and he is also a high volume corporate customer with them. The staff used to know him there but they’ve had some turnover.

Comment

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
You could be right but I am not sure how/why they would. It was our first return in years. And it was on my husband’s account, not mine as it was a gift from him and he is also a high volume corporate customer with them. The staff used to know him there but they’ve had some turnover.

I personally plan on picking up the retina MBA tomorrow in-store and demoing it for ~3-4 weeks before I finalize my purchase. I have a 15" MBP Touch Bar and might be willing to downgrade for the battery improvement. Wonder if Apple employees will harass me in 3-4 weeks should I decide to return for a refund.

Comment

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
I personally plan on picking up the retina MBA tomorrow in-store and demoing it for ~3-4 weeks before I finalize my purchase. I have a 15" MBP Touch Bar and might be willing to downgrade for the battery improvement. Wonder if Apple employees will harass me in 3-4 weeks should I decide to return for a refund.
They probably will NOT harrass you. That has never before been my or my husband’s experience with them outside of this one time. This was an anomaly. Indeed, I had to exchange the defective 8 Plus I had gotten to replace the X that was returned and the man who took care of that for us at the very same store made everything prompt and courteous.

But I thought people should be warned to make sure they keep close track of all the fine print for the terms of returns and keep all documentation in case they run across an Apple staff having a bad day.

Oh and good luck with your purchase. I hope it’s a keeper!

Comment

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Picked up some iPhone XRs on Nov 12 for my folks to see if they like it. They weren't sure when I took them into the Apple store.

Checked to see the return policy for that order online and it looks like the return policy is Jan 8!

I asked Apple (via Business chat) if there was a mistake, but they told me to call Apple because they don't know that information. *shrug*

Comment

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
I ordered an iPad on the 10th however it won’t ship until the end of the month. Does this mean I qualify for the extended returns? I guess so

EDIT: Just read the terms on apples website. It is the date when items are ‘received’ (I.e. delivered). So assuming items are delivered today or later, you have till Jan 8th to return them.

Last edited:
Comment

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Free.

Actually, if you have a Barclay Apple Rewards card, just give them a call and ask to have the 0% financing offer applied to your account. I did that a few days ago incase I don't pay off the $5K+ in Apple products that I'm purchasing. I can stretch it out for up to 18 months at 0% if I want to. I rather take care of it but I have a cushion.

Reactions: jimthing
Comment

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I’ve been waiting to pick up a pair of AirPods but was holding off in case they release a new version next month. Maybe it’s time to pick up a pair anyways...

Comment

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I just wished they offered interest free credit again, like they used to do. They do it for the iPhone (the "iPhone Payments" plan: 20 months UK / 24 months US), so why not the more expensive Macs/iPads?!

Actually, if you have a Barclay Apple Rewards card, just give them a call and ask to have the 0% financing offer applied to your account. I did that a few days ago incase I don't pay off the $5K+ in Apple products that I'm purchasing. I can stretch it out for up to 18 months at 0% if I want to. I rather take care of it but I have a cushion.
Sure, I don't think we have that specific card in the UK. But we do have many companies with an "interest free credit" credit cards you can either take-out from new straight away with an interest free period (a couple do up to 36 months), or ones where you can do a "balance transfer" to another card for an interest-free-credit period of time with only a 3% fee added instead (eg. 5K turns to 5150, then you have X months to clear it before interest starts accruing again).

The thing is, Apple offer it on iPhones right now, to why not on other more expensive stuff?
They used to offer IFC sometimes, now I never ever see it, even as prices get more expensive, as they now want to make more money on top out of the finance as well, seemingly. :-/

Last edited:
Comment

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I purchased an iPhone on 11/3, and when I select "Start a Return", I see the message that I have until January 8, 2019 to return the item. I don't think I'll trust it since the official policy states that the extended turn period is for items purchased between 11/14 and 12/25.

Reactions: macfacts
Comment

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
I purchased an iPhone on 11/3, and when I select "Start a Return", I see the message that I have until January 8, 2019 to return the item. I don't think I'll trust it since the official policy states that the extended turn period is for items purchased between 11/14 and 12/25.
That's the extended xmas sales return period til 8 Jan next year.

Comment

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
That's the extended xmas sales return period til 8 Jan next year.

Yes, for products purchased starting on 11/14. I purchased the iPhone on 11/3, so it shouldn’t qualify, but my order page states that I still have until 1/8/19. I’m wondering if, in my case, it’s an error on Apple’s part. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

“For eligible products purchased between November 14, 2018 and December 25, 2018, you have until January 8, 2019 to initiate a return.”

Comment

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Free.

—PSA—

In the UK, Apple have recently (re-)introduced IFC (interest free credit) again, for 12months from Barclays until 17 January 2019:

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/financing

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 01.02.19.png

Comment

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone have any receipts showing return dates for the 2019 holidays? Apple started earlier than their stated date of 11/14 last year: I bought something last year before 11/14, and I was expecting a 14 day return date on my receipt, but it was showing 1/8.

Comment

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone have any receipts showing return dates for the 2019 holidays? Apple started earlier than their stated date of 11/14 last year: I bought something last year before 11/14, and I was expecting a 14 day return date on my receipt, but it was showing 1/8.

I bought a cable at Apple today, and the return date is showing 14 days, so it has not yet begun. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.