MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's annual extended holiday return policy began today in the United States and several other countries.

iPhone-7-gift-guide.jpg

Most products and accessories purchased between November 10 and December 25 of this year are eligible for return until January 8, 2017 in the United States, Australia, Canada, and select other regions, or until January 20, 2017 in many European countries such as France, Germany, and the United Kingdom.

Apple products that can be returned include, among other things, the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. The few items that cannot be returned include Apple or iTunes gift cards. Apple products can be opened and used prior to the return date, but must be returned undamaged with the original packaging.

When making a purchase at an Apple retail store, we recommend that you ask for printed and emailed copies of your receipt. Both printed and emailed receipts will indicate the return date for each product purchased, while Apple also lists the cutoff date under the "Your Account" section on its website.

All purchases made before today or after December 25 are subject to Apple's standard 14-day return policy in most countries.

Update: The extended holiday return policy is now reflected on Apple's delivery and pickup page.

Article Link: Apple's Extended Holiday Return Policy Now in Effect

Reactions: macfacts

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
The only thing I bought from Apple Store and returned it was the 1st Gen. iPhone. It's supposed to be for my wife, but she got intimidated by it. I used to love Apple Store you get entertained quickly when you need help. Now I barely visit the store anymore, unless I want to see the new product physically while I'm in the mall. My interest on Apple has dwindled down significantly, but I still hanging around maybe few more years and see. Good old times!

Reactions: ThaRuler

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Is there a source for this article because I'm not seeing this information on Apple's web site?

KPA

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016

Most products and accessories purchased between November 10 and December 25 of this year are eligible for return until January 8, 2017 in the United States, Australia, Canada, and select other regions, or until January 20, 2017 in many European countries such as France, Germany, and the United Kingdom.

Apple products that can be returned include, among other things, the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.

I just confirmed with apple support that iphone is not a part of this
not sure about others...
All accessories are part of this extended returns.

TheHorrorNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
It's only contract-free phones...
Carrier agreements restrict iPhone purchases with subsidy or financing to 14 days with zero exceptions...

Source - Me (A recent former employee)

Reactions: jdillings

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Love the extended policy. Going to test drive a MacBook Pro

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
What about pre orders for Macs ordered on the 27th but won't have them till the 17th?

MichaelQ

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
Dubbo, NSW
this includes refurbished, correct?

Pretty sure Apple treats refurbished sales the same as any other sale - that's one of the nice things about their refurbs that makes them such good value at times.
[doublepost=1478804530][/doublepost]
The few items that cannot be returned include Apple or iTunes gift cards and opened software.

Apple still sells software in boxes??

And I thought (maybe in Australia at least), there was a ruling that said companies couldn't make that provision anymore? Open software could be returned just like any other product that was deemed unfit for purpose etc?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
What about pre orders for Macs ordered on the 27th but won't have them till the 17th?
The return period starts when you receive your item, however the return policy that was in force at the time of ordering is the one that counts. In other words, Macs pre-ordered Before today will be 14 days from receipt. Unless they've changed it for this year. :)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
The return period starts when you receive your item, however the return policy that was in force at the time of ordering is the one that counts. In other words, Macs pre-ordered Before today will be 14 days from receipt. Unless they've changed it for this year. :)
so return and repurchase when i receive it on the 17th is what you are saying ;)
[doublepost=1478806235][/doublepost]i really just want to extend the return window enough time to get a refurb around january.

Reactions: Brookzy

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Is this for the online store, physical store or both?

I'm chatting with their purchase support and they're still claiming 14 day.

Last edited:

cashinstinct

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Why did I buy a contract free iPhone 7 Plus on Nov 8 instead of Nov 10?

I am torn between iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plus...

I might but iPhone 7 and try both then...

Jethrox

macrumors member
May 10, 2015
Boulder, Colorado
so return and repurchase when i receive it on the 17th is what you are saying ;)
[doublepost=1478806235][/doublepost]i really just want to extend the return window enough time to get a refurb around january.

Wow! This is really good to know. Last year I purchased the new iPad Pro and had to return it. The extended return policy really helped me evaluate the new product over the holidays. I may just have to return my new MacBook Pro i recently ordered unless they give me an extension for the return policy . I wonder how many other people are going to need more time to evaluate the new MacBook Pro as their main computer.

I am pretty sure the refurbished MacBook pros will not be available before the return policy for the holidays Ends... that would just be too foolish.

Last edited:

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Well this sucks :p
I should have just waited to order If I knew about this before hand. I get my w/o touch bar Mac Book Pro baseline (expected deliver on 15th), that I ordered on 1st of November. Initially they were showing a date of 9-11 November. And now if you go to their site, you see a an expected date of 14th November.
If I had known this, I could have waited and ordered Today, and Still have gotten it most probably next week with the extended return policy .......

Though, is thee extended return policy even applicable in Netherlands ?

Oct 24, 2016

Apple's annual extended holiday return policy began today in the United States and several other countries.

iPhone-7-gift-guide.jpg

Apple products that can be returned include, among other things, the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. The few items that cannot be returned include Apple or iTunes gift cards and opened software. Apple products can be opened and used prior to the return date, but must be returned undamaged with the original packaging.

When making a purchase at an Apple retail store, we recommend that you ask for printed and emailed copies of your receipt. Both printed and emailed receipts will indicate the return date for each product purchased, while Apple also lists the cutoff date under the "Your Account" section on its website.

All purchases made before today or after December 25 are subject to Apple's standard 14-day return policy in most countries.

Article Link: Apple's Extended Holiday Return Policy Now in Effect
does it have to be from an apple store or can it be bought from another retailer?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Wow! This is really good to know. Last year I purchased the new iPad Pro and had to return it. The extended return policy really helped me evaluate the new product over the holidays. I may just have to return my new MacBook Pro i recently ordered unless they give me an extension for the return policy . I wonder how many other people are going to need more time to evaluate the new MacBook Pro as their main computer.

I am pretty sure the refurbished MacBook pros will not be available before the return policy for the holidays Ends... that would just be too foolish.
Funny most people would consider it immoral. But apple waiting 600 days to refresh their macbook pro line has me feeling bitter still.
It would work though

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Delivery for the touch bar is 4-5 weeks...you may not get it in time.

Mine is scheduled for 17-24 November delivery
[doublepost=1478837266][/doublepost]
Funny most people would consider it immoral. But apple waiting 600 days to refresh their macbook pro line has me feeling bitter still.
It would work though

After the price hike and having to buy dongles.....I see nothing immoral about trying the new MacBook Pro over the extended return period. This is the most expansive laptop I have ever bought and it better live upto the price tag or it's going back. To be honest if the prices were more resonable I would not consider returning it .....but at these prices, I'm evaluating it against the 2015 model.

Reactions: x-evil-x

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Love the extended policy. Going to test drive a MacBook Pro

More and More carriers are jumping on board with with extended returns through the holidays. And they should, being some electronics are intended For gifts, which not everyone will receive immediately when there purchased.

Reactions: MH01

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
"When making a purchase at an Apple retail store, we recommend that you ask for printed and emailed copies of your receipt. Both printed and emailed receipts will indicate the return date for each product purchased, while Apple also lists the cutoff date under the "Your Account" section on its website."

Usually just took the email receipt, though I think the recommendation of also getting a printed copy is solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.